Bengals at Bucs -- Pre-season game 1 --- 8/14/20

membengal

With 12 hours to reflect:

1. The defense was REALLY impressive. All three teams. The first team D had such a promising debut. Pressure from the line, swift LBers to the ball, glue coverage from Awuzie. And that mostly repeated through second and third team (w/ a few exceptions). Maybe the difficulty they've been giving Burrow and the offense is...legit.

2. Decent pocket for Allen to work with when he had first string line. Really fun to see each of Boyd, Chase and Higgins get a catch to move the sticks.

3. Hope that teams that need FG kickers are on our speed dial for Seibert. I would really like to see them move him for a 6th or so. I think there should be a market.

4. McPherson has a howitzer of a leg. Backs up what we've heard from camp, but, the ball just explodes off his foot.

5. I hope like hell that Ossai is not a bad injury. They clearly have something there. But there also really good work from Sample and Hodge and man does our defensive line depth look quite different this time around. On Ossai's sack of Brady, was nice to see that Hendrickson had beaten the LT badly and was arriving from his side as well.

If I am remembering the correct play, I think Carman might have had a grip of the defender's jersey on the way down (on the front side), so the visible tug drew the flag. It's kind of lame and probably didn't have a significant role in Carman winning that matchup.

Smith was at LT in second half. The backp-up at RT is clearly Fred Johnson who DNP. I think Prince swung over to RT in second half when Smith went to LT. 

Smith was good but had some "oh shit" bad moments. Smith flashes very positively. 

Carmen was pretty damn good run blocking (dominant on three straight blocks inside the 10 when Evans score the rushing TD) and...less so pass blocking. He looked like a guy who needs time, something that he's gonna get. I don't see him starting anytime in the first half of the season, but, who knows.

No word on Ossai yet.

The entire defensive line was insanely productive all evening. I am NOT used to seeing that in the pre-season from this team. 

I thought the only slack the defense gave all night was in the second-team secondary, primarily on third down. It's reassuring though that the first team is so solid that there really ought not be too many opportunities to deal with that in real games. The corners go at least 4 deep and the safeties at least 3.

2 hours ago, Stripes said:

If I am remembering the correct play, I think Carman might have had a grip of the defender's jersey on the way down (on the front side), so the visible tug drew the flag. It's kind of lame and probably didn't have a significant role in Carman winning that matchup.

Hard to tell from TV view and judgements from TV feeds should be noted. 

Wish we had end zone view, BUT IMO that’s not a great play by Carmen.  Looks like guy got underneath him. His hands got outside and he lost ground because of lost leverage. 

At least he finished the play. 

1 hour ago, membengal said:

Pretty sure Michael Jordan is gonna be starting week 1 against MN. Just make your respective peaces with it now. I am trying to. It's not gonna be easy. 

I think your right.  Xavier in at the end of the game tells me he’s odd man out and they trying to get film for him for other teams. 

36 minutes ago, Stripes said:

I thought the only slack the defense gave all night was in the second-team secondary, primarily on third down. It's reassuring though that the first team is so solid that there really ought not be too many opportunities to deal with that in real games. The corners go at least 4 deep and the safeties at least 3.

On top of that, Eli Apple and Ricardo Allen didn't play so it was more 3rd string secondary.