2021 Training Camp and Pre-season News and Chatter

membengal

A few random thoughts from me:

---heartening to see how much Chase looks the part from the jump
---the videos that I could find of the DBs were also heartening - Wayans moves well. So does Awuzie
---I am glad they are not rushing Carmen at RG - right call to let him get his feet wet and push for the spot
---Still can't believe how good Burrow looks and that he is fully back
---Mixon looks smooth and fast early

This kind of feels like the 2011 camp/pre-season period. The rest of the country had no idea what was going on here and penciled the Bengals in for about two-four wins based on 2010. Many of us could sense something was brewing though, and within the fanbase the eventual playoff berth wasn't that surprising.

Doesn't mean much of anything, or that this is a playoff team. I dunno. But I do sense a little something something.

• Like 1

the fact that Dehner already believes Carman will be a backup is alarming, but that may also be why we're suddenly signing and/or getting visits from OLs all of the sudden

waaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaayyyyyyyy too early to call Carman a bust, but..........we need this player to be good or better quick, and it doesnt appear like he's on schedule to be that guy right now

Keep in mind I am the GIMME A LINEMAN guy and this guy is T H E key player I am watching, personally.  I might just be a bit, uh, biased here. :-)

Meanwhile, Cosmi seems to be impressing The Washington Football Team

TJ - making rookie linemen earn it rather than be handed a spot isn’t a new concept. Part of dehner’s musing is that week 1 is zimmer and opting for a vet against the craziness that zimmer can throw is sensible. If it goes that way , makes sense to me. Dehner has said Carmen fighting onto field a few weeks in is reasonable. He’s not wrong.  Everyone in the world bangs on pre-season games as being unnecessary, a view I have never agreed with, but this is an example of where they are super necessary. Coaches will want to see him work some with actual hitting to assess. 

is Cosmi at G in Washington?  Our big addition here was Reiff. Reports on him have been glowing for months. Putting vets out there early and making the kids earn it in front of burrow on the line, well, I am down with that. Especially after they rushed Jordan and, well, waves hand at last year.

IF the line appears to be as bad as it was the first quarter of the season last year AND Carmen isn’t playing then it’s a questionable draft pick. 

People questioned Higgins all through camp last year.   I’m not worried about Carmen’s status the first couple weeks. 

fwiw, here is Lap's re-cap of Day 1 (jump to timestamp 11:30 or so for his line talk/Carmen talk).  He says plainly that Frank Pollack is "old school" and that rookies have to earn it. I am absolutely not reading anything bad into Carmen having to prove and force his way onto the field myself.  Again, five vets week 1 against Zim would be jjjuuuuuussstt fine with me...:

It was day 1 of camp. They don’t even put on pads until next week. I wouldn’t take anything away from yesterday as far as the ultimate disposition of anyone or anything. My only observation is that we got through one day of practice without the first round season ending injury curse hitting Chase. Let’s keep that streak going.