Bengals Hire Scout

HoosierCat

• 2 weeks later...

Speaking of replacements, the “is Taylor on the hot seat” speculation has begun, with LaCanfora thinking yes.

https://www.cbssports.com/nfl/news/nfl-coaches-on-hot-seat-entering-2021-season-matt-nagy-mike-mccarthy-among-nine-coaches-feeling-the-heat/

On most other teams I would expect both his and Tobin’s seats to be glowing. And given how aggressive (for the Bengals) they’ve been this offseason it sure seems like an element of urgency has crept in. But of course this is the Bengals so who really knows.

30/32

You certainly can't put all the blame for the Bengals' struggles on Taylor, who lost No. 1 pick Joe Burrow to injury in 2020. But two years in, we've yet to see many reasons why Cincy should be drooling at the possibility of another Sean McVay emerging here. Whether or not it's fair, Taylor is primed to be cut loose if the Bengals don't hit at least eight or nine wins in 2021.

https://www.cbssports.com/nfl/news/2021-nfl-head-coach-rankings-andy-reid-edges-bill-belichick-as-no-1-bruce-arians-matt-lafleur-crack-top-10/

8-9 wins doesn’t really do it for me.

6 hours ago, HoosierCat said:

Yeah but I think that's probably a best case scenario next sesason.  And I'm guessing the improvement will be enough for MB to give him at least another year, if that happens.  All Taylor has to do is score points on offense, and find a DC that can perform, so they'll run through those again most likely at some point (D-coordinators) if that group finishes in the bottom half again.  I think we've seen this all before, especially in pre-Marvin years.  

Now if the offense sucks and they only win 2-4 games...different story I guess.

13 hours ago, ShulaSteakhouse said:

Yeah but I think that's probably a best case scenario next sesason.  And I'm guessing the improvement will be enough for MB to give him at least another year, if that happens.  All Taylor has to do is score points on offense, and find a DC that can perform, so they'll run through those again most likely at some point (D-coordinators) if that group finishes in the bottom half again.  I think we've seen this all before, especially in pre-Marvin years.  

Now if the offense sucks and they only win 2-4 games...different story I guess.

I guess in an 8-9 wins scenario I would reluctantly accept a one year extension, basically a “prove it” deal, for Taylor. But really I look back to 2003-05, when Marvin Lewis (who I am reliably informed is the worst coach ever in the history of sports) took over a 2-14 team and got to the postseason in year 3. A wild card loss is pretty much the minimum I want this year.

Rapien seems to be on board with this popular "8 wins is the bar" philosophy.

I'm with you, Hoosier. I want a playoff berth, or at least enough wins that missing the playoffs would be more back luck than bad play. Give me 10-7+ or I'm probably going to be disappointed.

• Like 1

PFF best case/worst case for Cincy.

https://www.pff.com/news/nfl-best-and-worst-case-scenarios-for-every-afc-team-2021-nfl-season

10th percentile outcome: 5-12

How they get there: Free-agent tackle Riley Reiff and rookie guard Jackson Carman aren’t enough to give Cincinnati an average offensive line. That means more of the same for Joe Burrow in his second season after being sacked 32 times (second in NFL) and hit 43 times (fourth in NFL) before his season-ending injury. 

Trey Hendrickson cannot match his breakout 2020 campaign as a pass-rusher, leaving the Bengals thin on players capable of consistently getting after the quarterback on defense. In turn, plenty of pressure is placed on Cincinnati’s new-look cornerback group.

90th percentile outcome: 10-7

How they get there: The moves the Bengals made to solidify their offensive line are good enough to let Burrow and a strong supporting cast shine in 2021. Burrow and Ja’Marr Chase rekindle the special connection they had with LSU in 2019, particularly deep downfield, where Cincinnati struggled last season. Chase caught 24 of his 36 20-plus-yard targets from Burrow in his final season with the Tigers. 

The return of D.J. Reader and Trae Waynes from injury, along with the free-agent additions of Hendrickson, Chidobe Awuzie and Mike Hilton this offseason, leaves the Bengals’ defense in a much better spot.  

Notably they have the Steelers in the same 5-10 win range, Baltimore in the 7-12 range and Cleveland in the 8-13 range.

I can see them going maybe 8 wins with considerable luck, mostly in the areas of player health and how well the OL protects New Guy

9 if they also  manage to sweep Pittsburgh without Finley :-)

The real mystery is the defense, tho.  so many new starters at DT, DE, and CB, and will the 4 newbie linebackers improve and by how much?  To much unknown to predict how good (or bad) they will be, but my gut tells me the unit will unfortunately be bottom 5

On 30/06/2021 at 1:27 AM, TJJackson said:

as far as I am concerned, the sooner Zakky and Lou are fired, the better

Amen to that all day long

On 11/07/2021 at 5:53 PM, Stripes said:

I mean, if they're not fired, that would imply good things happened.

Right.

I like good things.

Depends how ya look at it. 4-12 was twice as good compared to 2-14 but it wasn't good enough, nowhere near good enough so I wouldn't say last season was a good thing by any stretch.

I see nothing to have changed my viewpoint thus far so I'm still firmly entrenched in the "ZT is out of his depth and should be fired" camp. Sorry if that upsets anyone it's just how I see it. We all want success, we've had 2 dismal seasons waiting for good things to come and they ain't 

6 hours ago, Scottishbengal said:

Depends how ya look at it. 4-12 was twice as good compared to 2-14 but it wasn't good enough, nowhere near good enough so I wouldn't say last season was a good thing by any stretch.

I see nothing to have changed my viewpoint thus far so I'm still firmly entrenched in the "ZT is out of his depth and should be fired" camp. Sorry if that upsets anyone it's just how I see it. We all want success, we've had 2 dismal seasons waiting for good things to come and they ain't 

I don't blame you for feeling that way, and I would have been on board with firing Taylor after 2020 too. I just mean that he and Anarumo weren't fired, so one might as well hope for their success. If they are fired then 2021 will have sucked too. They're not going to be fired tomorrow.

Espn peers into the future and finds (of course) that the Bengals will suck.

https://www.espn.com/nfl/insider/story/_/id/31812492/nfl-future-power-rankings-2021-projections-all-32-teams-next-three-seasons#CIN

paywalled of course, but here’s the Cincy entry. Fwiw the 3 teams below us are Philly, Detroit and Houston.

29. Cincinnati Bengals
Overall score: 68.1

CATEGORY SCORE NFL RANK

Overall roster (minus QB) 64.8 29

Quarterback 77.3 13

Coaching 64.8 30

Draft 70.5 28

Front office 64.8 30

Why they're here: Reasons for optimism in Cincinnati center around second-year quarterback Joe Burrow and a trio of receivers that reasonably could emerge as one of the best in the NFL. But the offensive line has been troublesome for several years, and this team has been devoid of defensive playmakers for too long. There are several roster holes that need to be addressed in a hurry to maximize the window of Burrow's contract. -- Yates

Biggest worry: The Bengals have to protect Burrow. No excuses. No explanations. That means by playcalling, play design, personnel upgrades, helping coach Burrow into getting rid of the ball quicker ... all of it. If Cincinnati can't accomplish that, this franchise will remain where it has been, at the bottom looking up. -- Riddick

What could change for the better: The secondary will eventually be good, as Cincinnati has spent big on corners and safeties in free agency. Vonn Bell, Chidobe Awuzie and Mike Hilton can all play, and the team hasn't given up on Trae Waynes, who should return stronger after missing last year due to injury. Pair these pieces with rising star Jessie Bates III at safety and Cincinnati should be a problem for offenses on the back end. -- Fowler

Stat to know: Burrow struggled with the deep ball in his rookie season. His 36.1 QBR on passes at least 20 yards downfield ranked third worst, and the Bengals recorded the lowest cumulative expected points added on deep passes (minus-7.9) among all teams. -- Walder