Post-Draft/UDFA Thread

From the .com:

The Bengals today signed two free agents — QB Eric Dungey and TE Cheyenne O'Grady. Both participated in the team's rookie minicamp earlier today as tryout players.

Dungey (6-3, 226), a first-year player out of Syracuse University, originally was a college free agent signee of the N.Y. Giants in 2019. He later spent time on the Cleveland Browns' practice squad, but did not see game action for either team. He was not with an NFL team in 2020.

O'Grady (6-4, 253), a rookie out of the University of Arkansas, spent five seasons (2015-19) at the University of Arkansas, with a redshirt year in '15. He played in 26 career games for the Razorbacks, and caught 80 passes for 858 yards and 10 TDs. Although he was eligible for the draft in 2020, he has not previously signed with an NFL team and will thus be classified as a rookie.

Breer MAQB:

One thing teams do get in rookie minicamp, and especially this year with no combine, or private workouts and visits, is perspective on the size of their class. And I can say in a year when the Bengals felt like they needed it, the coaches in Cincinnati really liked the way a crew of three offensive line and four defensive line rookies looked on the hoof out there. Second-round pick Jackson Carman moved around well and made a good first impression, but the raw length of defensive end Joseph Ossai and overall size of defensive tackle Tyler Shelvin really stood out.

• 2 weeks later...

Bachie- 8 games into his senior year at Mich State he tested positive for a PED and was suspended for the rest of the year.  

I’m not encouraging the use of PEDs but at least this dude has shown some dedication and effort.

• Like 1

• 2 months later...

So espn+ has a quick roundup on how the top 32 picks have looked so far. Thought it would be interesting to see how some of the names we bounced around are doing.

Pitts: 

Pitts has yet to play a preseason game -- a rarity for rookies -- but part of the reason is that first-year head coach Arthur Smith has said Pitts is "right on schedule" with the progress the team is seeking from him. In practices, Pitts has been consistently good minus the occasional dropped pass.

Atlanta will use Pitts all over formations to try to find exploitable matchups. Tight ends often struggle as rookies, but he has the makeup of being an impact player from Week 1. -- Michael Rothstein 

Sewell:

Sewell has been thrown in the mix immediately, getting starter reps, but he has had his fair share of growing pains -- and rookie duties -- while adjusting from left to right tackle and playing football again after opting out of the 2020 college season in the midst of the COVID-19 pandemic. Sewell joins a solid offensive line in Detroit, with a coaching staff that is being patient with his development even after he got beat a few times in preseason action.

"I'm not discouraged, and neither should he be," Lions coach Dan Campbell said. Overall, Sewell has played well, but he still has some learning to do. -- Eric Woodyard. 

Slater:

Slater has been held out of practice and games recently because of what coach Brandon Staley said is a "non-serious" lower back injury. "If it was a game [in the regular season], he'd be playing," Staley said. "He wants to play now; we're just being extra cautious."

Slater had been impressing everyone with his footwork, maturity and strength. The Chargers will have a solid offensive line once he gets back. -- Shelley Smith

Leatherwood:

Leatherwood, the pick who was a surprise here to everyone but the Raiders, has started both exhibitions at right tackle and played 29.7% of Las Vegas' snaps (39 of 131). Perhaps most impressively, he has not yet shown up on tape. That's because most times, when O-linemen flash, they are getting beat. Derek Carr tested Leatherwood in a joint practice with the Rams by audibling and giving the rookie a one-on-one matchup with All-Pro DT Aaron Donald.

"Probably not a nice thing of me to do, but I did it just to see," Carr said. "I think he actually did pretty good." Said coach Jon Gruden: "We were happy with Leatherwood ... we like what Alex is doing." -- Paul Gutierrez

Darrisaw:

The Vikings didn't expect things to take a hard left turn with the player they anticipated would start at left tackle in Week 1. Darrisaw needed a second surgery to repair the core muscle he injured during his final season at Virginia Tech and has not gotten any live reps in practice. He has been limited to mobility and strength exercises to help heal his injured groin while Rashod Hill maintains his position as the starting left tackle.

Though the team has remained publicly optimistic, it's hard to see a scenario in which Darrisaw is ready to play early in the season. -- Courtney Cronin

Yeah I heard Sewell transition to RT is proving to be more challenging than anticipated.  

Leatherwood was shock first round selection by the Raiders but there's nothing really bad ever said about him.  Never got beat but didn't dominate people like his pedigree would suggest he should is what I remember.

• Like 1

40 minutes ago, COB said:

Pretty mild summary of Sewell there.  Other sources that are not the first year head coach who is married to the pick have used terms like “disaster.”  

Let's just say that IF the goal was providing Burrow the maximum safest protection you could - as between signing a vet like Reiff or relying on Sewell - the Bengals chose correctly for the start of this season...

• Like 2