Round 2 Pick: Jackson Carman, OT, Clemson

HoosierCat

28 minutes ago, membengal said:

A portion of the Morrison wrap-up on the rookie mini-camp practice today:

he's a well spoken guy and I like him as a person a lot already

as a player?

not yet.  but I am watching.  there is no player I am watching more closely than Carman

thanks for pasting in the paywalled stuff.   Might I recommend you paste in the stuff fpr each player from that article into their respective threads?

Jackson really came on at the end of last year, if you are looking at his 2019 tape, he did really struggle against speed rushers.  It's his commitment to the position and his drive to get better that really impresses me.  He takes nothing to chance and has been working at his craft very hard in the offseason, if that drive continues he is going to be a great pro.

And one other thing,.  People are talking about this as a huge reach.  I have seen no mock draft that did not have Carman drafted in the second or third rounds, at pick #46 that was not a reach....it would have been at #38 

Paul Alexander on the radio he thinks he is a first round talent.   

Surely a "first round talent" wouldn't have been a reach at 38 ???? Seems like there's a bit of confusion / mis-communication within the Bengals staff on this one

It's about maximizing draft position.  Carman was ranked in most draft guides in the 40-60 range (PFF had him at 48), you take that guy at #38 and you are not maximizing draft position, take him at #46 and get two additional 4th rd picks and now we are cooking with gas.

22 hours ago, Scottishbengal said:

And one other thing,.  People are talking about this as a huge reach.  I have seen no mock draft that did not have Carman drafted in the second or third rounds, at pick #46 that was not a reach....it would have been at #38 

Paul Alexander on the radio he thinks he is a first round talent.   

Surely a "first round talent" wouldn't have been a reach at 38 ???? Seems like there's a bit of confusion / mis-communication within the Bengals staff on this one

Not really.   There's a piece on here from unnamed scouts about the OL prospects.  There were varying opinions on the top guy Sewell.   IF there's that much debate over the 1st guy  then surely the opinions split further over the 8th guy picked.

1 team could easily say "reach" and another could see "steal".

At the end of the day over half of the 64 dudes taken in rounds 1 and 2, you'll need a google search to jog your memory when they hit the FA market 4/5 years later.

9 of the 32 first rounders of 2018 didn't have their 5th year picked up.  So what's really a steal or reach?  28% and that number is a growing indicator of which guys will be moving on with their life's work soon.   First rounders are protected more given guaranteed money.   If it was an open market the churn would be greater.   

• 2 months later...

This might sound strange - but the good news is this dude showed up to camp woefully out of shape.  So far, that’s a lot of his problem, conditioning isn’t there.  

If he were struggling just because he wasn’t good enough, I’d be very worried.  At least there is a chance he can get it back and be productive, a contributor.