Round 1 Pick: Ja’Marr Chase, WR, LSU

HoosierCat

Vegas is usually pretty accurate.  I’m putting some money on the touchdowns over side.  He fights for the ball, they’ll gadget play him into the end zone a time or two, he’s intensely competitive.  It feels more like 8 or 9 tds for him.  

Those numbers would top AJ Green's rookie season. I'm hesitant to buy that, though even 10 years ago the league was less pass-insane than it is now. If Burrow throws nearly as much as he did last season we could sleepwalk to three 1,000 yard receivers.

Chase enters a much better situation offensively than AJ as a rookie.    AJ had rookie Dalton which is an advantage for Chase having 2nd year Burrow.     However AJ didn't have to compete with any other significant receiving threat for targets.  Armon Binns, Simpson, Hawkins, Tate were the others.

Higgins and Boyd certainly will demand targets that could effect Chase's rookie numbers in comparison to Green.

• 2 weeks later...

One of the things I worried about in the pre-draft process about Sewell is that his workout at the pro day did not look like the beast that we saw on tape.  After taking a year off football you wondered about how hard he was working at his craft, never had any similar concerns about Chase not only because videos of his workouts were all over the internet but also he showed up at the pro day workout ripped and extremely athletic.  Whereas Sewell's numbers were significantly worse than I expected, Chase's were much better.  It would not shock me if we look back in five years to find that Sewell has "big daddied" his way to a mediocre NFL career while Chase and Slater are perennial all-pros.

• Like 1

I got less and less confident that Sewell was the second coming of Munoz the more and more I learned

I think he can be good, but I doubt he will be among the greats when all is said and done

as such, I was looking at Slater, Darrisaw, and Vera-Tucker; which in turn meant we could trade down several spots

I guess we'll have to wait 5-10 years to talk about Sewell vs Chase again

Sewell is a football player.  Tangibles and measurable don’t tell the story on linemen.  It’s why it’s so difficult to predict which ones will play at the nfl level.  Sewell just has that ability to dominate guys.  I think it will transfer to the nfl level, but who can be sure.

That year off is a sort of one-off variable.  We’ll see.

Wouldn't be surprised to see Sewell struggle early in his career.   Simply doesn't have a high number of snaps/reps.    Its one thing I was worried about IF he were to be the selection.

Not surprised about the Bengals comments on Chase.   That's what you expect when you get the No. 1 target on your draft board.