Official Bengals Ring of Honor coming to PBS

COB

Another round of who gets into the Bengals Ring of Honor.
Season ticket holders and suite owners will vote on the players.

Two more will be going in among this group of 13:

K Jim Breech, RB James Brooks, WR Cris Collinsworth, RB Corey Dillon, QB Boomer Esiason, S David Fulcher, WR Chad Johnson, DT Tim Krumrie, OL Dave Lapham, OG Max Montoya, CB Lemar Parrish, TE Bob Trumpy, and LB Reggie Williams.

Boomer's resume makes him long over due, IMO.  I'm not sure when he took over for Kenny somewhere around 84/85, I think.    Offensive ranks (yardage):

85 - 3

86 - 1

87 - 5

88 - 1

89 - 3

90 - 9

That's pretty damn impressive.   They've gone through post Boomer eras where the fan base is giddy over the offensive talent.  Boomer is still the last QB to oversee a unit average 400 yards per game over a whole season.   Most of his units eclipse Palmer and Burrow squads.    Just an overlooked impressive run.   Add things in like league MVP etc. 

Chad Johnson of course.   He led the AFC and NFL in  receiving yards a few years.   Impressive stretch and unlike Boomer; which probably the reason Boomer isn't in yet, Chad has mostly been a champion of the Bengals. 

It would be great to get those two in. 

On 5/24/2023 at 10:33 PM, ShulaSteakhouse said:

I'm all for Boomer and Chad, they'll get in sooner or later, whenever they get to it, but Dillon should be a shoe-in.  Not sure if he's buried the hatchet with ownership or not though, or what he's doing now.

flipping burgers in Kent, Ohio

On 5/25/2023 at 8:52 AM, AMPHAR said:

Dillon on the list of voting show some sort of reconciliation on the Bengals side.   I'm sure Dillon would show up if honored.  But he might be flipping burgers on the day.  Who knows? 

It will be interesting to see if he is cordial and enthusiastic about it, now that they are winning and actually making an effort in FA and operating like a modern NFL franchise,, something Pickens, Dillon, 90's Boomer and Palmer all wanted and never got.   Dillon and Pickens were particularly bitter, and yet are 2 of the greatest franchise players ever,  top 5 arguably,  Boomer and Palmer at least had some playoff/SB runs, briefly, but Dillon and Pickens saw absolutely none of that for so many years, carried those teams at times.   Damn shame.

Dillon, btw, a man who rushed for 1635 yards and 12 TD's at age 30 for NE, after doing not much for his last 2 seasons in Cincy, showing you how bad the Bengals were.  He posted 1000+ yd seasons for 6 years straight here prior to those 2 years.  Broke Walter Payton's single game rushing record if I recall.  

Should be in any Bengals' HOF yesterday along with Pickens IMO.

More rambling:  Darnay Scott and Boyd are going to probably end-up with very similar career #'s here after this season, but unless Boyd signs an extension, doubt he matches Scott's receiving yards and TD totals.  

Darnay Scott is a bit underrated, Eddie Brown had 41 TD's to Scott's 37, and Scott had more rec'ing yards than Brown.

Tim McGee is behind all of the above.

Pickens, with 63 career TD's and and 7130 yards wipes them all out except Ocho Weirdo, even Isaac Curtis, who comes in at #3 with 53 TD's and 7100 yards I believe.

I'm here for Pickens, Dillon and even Darnay,

Pickens and Dillon should be immediate, forced selections,  Mike Brown's vote should be skipped for prejudicial negligence. 

On 5/27/2023 at 2:26 AM, Stripes said:

Something like…

1. Chad

2. Curtis

3. AJ

4. Pickens

5. Chase (and improving)

6. Collinsworth

7. Houshmandzadeh

8. Higgins (and improving)

9. Brown

10. Boyd (and improving)

McGee, M. Jones, Scott narrowly miss. 

Knew I forgot someone (AJ), think I was drunk posting, and maybe TJ.  

Curtis and Chad can be interchangeable, I think that top 5 is what it will end-up being (in whatever order), and they should all be voted-in at some point sooner than later.  

Most of the iconic players here were Rb's and Wr's and Qb's I guess.  Not many beyond those 3 except maybe OT, as far as positions with multiple "BHOF" worthy guys.  Maybe it's like that everywhere, but the Bengals'  for a few decades went through a lot of bad players.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, TJJackson said:

Isaac Curtis should be on the list.  It is a damn shame that he isnt

I'd go with Curtis and Krumrie

Ocho Stinko is waaaaaaaaaay down on my list

The Ring of Honor nominees? He’s already in.

Splitting hairs between Chad and Curtis is difficult, and I am okay with both being number one relative to their peers. Chad’s 4-straight years leading the AFC in yardage tipped my personal scale.

16 hours ago, TJJackson said:

Isaac Curtis should be on the list.  It is a damn shame that he isnt

I'd go with Curtis and Krumrie

Ocho Stinko is waaaaaaaaaay down on my list

Welcome to 2022, TJ. We voted him in last year.

1. Chad Johnson

2. Issac Curtis

3. AJ Green

IF they would have had a RING of Honor like normal teams Curtis would have been in before Chad Johnson was a rookie.    Then Chad would have been in sometime during AJ's career so on and so on.

I think Chad was the better WR.  4 time conference leader in reception yards.  1 NFL title.  4 time All-Pro selection.   Curtis was 3 time All-Pro.     I think these metrics stamp Chad as slightly better player amongst his peers slightly higher and longer than Curtis.    

Of course, stat numbers aren't comparable across eras.

I get the discussion and am not about to lose sleep over it one way or another as I think they were both great WR’s here.

The reason I go with Curtis is, as Mem stated, they literally changed the rules because of him. The term “game changer” is an overused statement for most players in history.

Not in Curtis’ case.
It’s literally what he was.

• Like 1