Official Bengals Ring of Honor coming to PBS

COB

• 1 month later...

really happy that the two Kens are semifinialists for this years Hall of Fame class, but I of course wont be surprised when they arent picked

apparently, to get into the HoF as a Bengal, you have to have been the absolute uncontested all-time best at your position

Yes, Mr Munoz, you were.

• 2 weeks later...

Willie Anderson is hands down a HOFer.    A bigger snub than Ken Anderson, IMO.  By the way Ken Anderson is a HOFer or should be.

He was so accomplished that Hall-of-Famer Michael Strahan called him “the greatest right tackle of his generation.” And he might be right. Because legend has it that Anderson, who played 195 career games, surrendered only one sack to nine of the NFL’s top 10 pass rushers.

That was to Hall-of-Famer Bruce Smith, who set an NFL record with 200 career sacks.

"I loved Reggie White. God bless him. Rest in peace. I wanted to be Reggie White as a kid, as a man. So when I say, 'hey, I shut Reggie White out in ‘98,' who would believe it?”

I believe because I watched it in 1998.   It was a great performance in another 90s loss.

When I got the hard drive,” Anderson said, “I started showing my game, just for teaching … just to teach my players, teach guys (about) the NFL because, you know, in the social media world I’m an old guy … But in ’99 through ’01, I gave up no sacks and only one pressure. Everything adds up. And the great thing about it is: I have the film. I have the hard drive right in front of me.

“I would just say, Go ask Julius Peppers. Go ask Jevon Kearse. They’ve asked Strahan already. You can ask Terrell Suggs. Ask Jason Taylor. These guys that I faced are on film, and as the old coaches say, the films don’t lie.”

Not that Boselli isn't worthy but his career was shorter.   It is a crime he is in and Willie Anderson isn't.

You didn't see the sheer quickness in Curtis that we saw in Chad, but you did see a guy with speed that had the ability to get open and be "The guy" that Anderson would go to when he needed a play to be made.  I can remember my uncle saying, "As much as I love Kenny Anderson, it's like you can't love him without loving Isaac Curtis".  My uncle was all geeked up on Kenny Anderson, so that was saying something.  When you have a rule named after you because you were that fast, you must have been doing something right.

Isaac Curtis, the original OchoCinco.  
Or as Kenny Anderson said in that he was "The Jerry Rice before Jerry Rice."

• 4 weeks later...

https://www.nfl.com/news/chucky-howley-joe-klecko-ken-riley-senior-finalists-for-pro-football-hall-of-fam

Good. About time.

The Pro Football Hall of Fame announced on Wednesday that linebacker Chuck Howley, defensive lineman Joe Klecko and defensive back Ken Riley are the three senior finalists for the Class of 2023.

If you look at the players by franchise that are in the HOF.   The bengals are well under representative.   Some franchises have more players from their losing eras than the Bengals do in the  70/80s which had various levels of success.

Bengals realistically should have 3-5 players in, IMO, to bring it up to a reasonable representation.

For example the Falcons have 4 players that you would call "true" Falcons.   Then they have Eric Dickerson/Favre types which played a short period of time.    Of those 4 true Falcons,  1 player is from their 1st NFC Champ team.   

Not saying those players are not worthy, but come on there should be more Bengals. 

Clearly there should be more Bengals, but I think the biggest issue is that old-era dynasties get egregiously over-represented. Even the Patriots of their first 3-of-4 titles period aren't nearly as well-represented in the hall as the '60s Packers, '70s Steelers, or '80s 49ers. It seems like they're just gradually putting those entire rosters in the hall while players who were actually great on less-known teams get ignored for decades, and the whole thing remains a farce.

But Ken Riley will make it slightly less farcical. If the current Bengals continue to keep the franchise in the public eye, then the forgotten greats will cease to be forgotten. Ken and Willie Anderson are next, and maybe even folks like Lamar Parrish will finally garner some notice too.

• Like 1

It’s a popularity contest, always has been (insert astronaut meme here). Steelers, Cowboys, Packets etc get in because they have a big fan base and big fan base equals more money for the nfl, and money is all they give a shit about. Bengals are rising in popularity so this year we got thrown a bone. They win more, more bengals will get in.