Official Bengals Ring of Honor coming to PBS

COB

I think I'll be voting on this, so I'll want to give it some thought. Ken Anderson is obvious, but the other name is tough. I think great arguments could be made for Willie, Boomer, Chad, Parrish, and Riley. I tend to think these players rank the best all-time in their position groups and/or were integral to a Super Bowl run.

If I still season tix I would be voting Ken Anderson and Boomer.

That way the initial group covers the Founder, the HOFer and both your MVPs.

I understand the sympathy for Ken Riley but he wasn't the best CB when Lamar Parish was on the team.  Also his hallmark stat is a product of playing across from Parish and longevity.   Still should have a HOF consideration but I'm putting in League MVPs first that match up with the franchise's only 2 Superbowl appearances.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

The first class is official.

Anthony Munoz, Paul Brown, Kenny Anderson, and Ken Riley.

There's probably 3/4 retired Bengals I would have went with for induction over Ken Riley but not a bad class.

Issac Curtis, Boomer, Willie Anderson, Parrish and then maybe Riley, IMO. 

Many former coaches and teammates have concluded Parrish was Deon before Deon and Curtis was Jerry before Jerry.    I think Riley gets over hyped by the fan base because of his impressive all time INT ranking. 

• Like 1

While I didn't vote Riley, I get it and I'm okay with it. I think the biggest snub for him is less the Hall of Fame and more that he somehow never made a single Pro Bowl. That's impossible. So early recognition in the ROH is a nice way to compensate for that incredible bs.

• 9 months later...

Willie and Boomer would be my choices.   

Willie Anderson gets HOF consideration and it is an injustice that he is not in the actual HOF.  

Boomer is your only other MVP at this time and IMO would be fitting to have both MVPs, and the QBs of now 2 of 3 AFC Champions.

I have always been in favor of a more exclusive Ring of Honor so once you get your no brainers in like Willie, Boomer, Chad, and Dillon.  Maybe hit pause for a couple years.  Of course everyone won't agree who are the no brainers. 

• Like 1

18 hours ago, Stripes said:

Just voted Willie and Boomer. Willie was a lock, and I couldn’t pass on a league MVP. Also considered Chad, Parrish, Fulcher, and Dillon.

I will never consider Dillon for any group that includes the word honor.

I have nothing against Boomer, just always loved watching Fulcher bring the pain in the middle of the field.

My also rans were Curtis, Chad and Boomer

I'm with RBB on the potential for a Dillon addition.  Fuck that guy too.

Yes, he was the only bit of light in dark times, but what did that actually do for the Bengals?  Nothing, but will acknowledge I enjoyed his running.
Then, as a RFA, he pushed for his release despite the efforts of the team to keep him. (I don't blame him for this)
The team protected themselves by offering him a 1 year deal, which would allow them to match or get compensated. (I don't blame them for this)
However, things took a turn from there and that's when I think Dillon let his frustration get the best of him when he spoke:

"I'll be flipping burgers or something. I'll sit." 
"They can take their $1.3 million and they know what they can do with it."
"I'll play for 50 bucks somewhere else."

That's when I was pretty much done with that guy.  Not that I didn't understand his frustration, but forget him.
Then he wins a Super Bowl and we have to hear how Dillion really knows how to act, because he's a winner now.
That to me was a shot at the Bengals calling them a bunch of losers.  Totally unprofessional in that instance.

As much bad as I've had to say about Mike Brown, I wouldn't let that fucker anywhere near the "Ring of Honor".
Let the Patriots take care of giving him that recognition.

I don't fault y'all for feeling that way. I'd never vote Palmer for similar reasons. I think I am a bit more generous in my view of Dillon just given the era he played (absolute Bengals rock bottom). He certainly burned bridges though.

I'm certainly understanding of that aspect Stripes and get that some fans really did love Corey Dillion and that he WAS the lone bright spot.
I'm just not one of those fans, obviously...

I'm that way with Palmer as well, but for different reasons.  Palmer, from day 1, was my favorite player on the team and I just knew we were going to the Super Bowl with him.  Then all the bullshit happened, which again, the owners played a part in when they got rid of Kitna despite Palmer wanting him to stay with the team.  He got disgruntled with other things as well and basically said he has to be happy playing football and that he would just retire.  While I got that he was disgruntled as well, I'm not an advocate of those that want to take their ball and go home.  Others i'm sure will disagree.  I'm cool with that as well.

• Like 1

Yeah Dillon, Palmer, and Pickens certainly would be awkward adds considering them trying to force their way out of the organization.  

However, Dillon does have a HOF case.   As far as HOF Willie and he would be locks if they played on a Titans like team in that era,IMO. 

• Like 1

Well it has entered my head that more Marvin era Bengals should be on the list for this vote. 

I am still Willie and Boomer, but I wish there was a 3rd because Chad Johnson shouldn’t be a 3rd class induction (neither should Willie or Boomer) 

Maybe you induct Chad by himself if he falls 3rd class.  That would be classic. 

Overall,  there is not fair rep for Marvin era Bengals.   TJ should be up for votes. Rudi. Maybe a couple others.