A RIng of Honor??? Maybe??

membengal

Jeremy Rauch had more on this. My best guess is the new uniforms plus Riley’s in memorium snub plus the continued rise in power of Katie along with this being the 40th anniversary of the 1981 super bowl team means at long last it’s happening. 

eight home games, eight chances for individual ring of honor unveiling....give me:

Munoz, Ken Anderson, Riley, curtis, krumrie, Willie Anderson, boomer, and Corey or collinsworrh.

would help sell tickets too.

I think it is a go.

It would be about damned time. No franchise needs something like this more than one that needs a player to the the best in NFL history at their position to sniff the Hall of Fame.

I'd like it if the honors go deeper than statistical production and wins too (obviously those are important). A guy like Andy Dalton for example isn't going to quite measure up to Kenny or Boomer, but he was such a great representative of the Bengals and of Cincinnati. There are others like him in that regard. I doubt that'd happen, but if I designed the ring of honor it would matter to me.

• Like 1

Long over due,  the pictures look like it’s experimental because the fonts are different.

My only complaint for something like this is I hope it doesn’t become The Ring of Fan Favorites.

My first class would be the guys that are HOF majority Bengals AND HOF snubbed Bengals. 

Guys like Krumrie would not make my initial class. 

But whatever I hope this happening long overdue

Ultimately  Hall of Fame's and Rings of Honor etc are marketing tools.   So I guess it doesn't matter IF you let too many players/coaches in.  Although I think the Reds let way too many in.   But an odd dynamic for the Bengals is the 90s were so bad that many fans overrate the 70s/80s Bengals that were good.

So if you put in 8 guys from that time frame that produced 2 MVP seasons via QBs and 2 AFC Championships.    Then maybe you can find 1 guy from the 90s.

The Marvin Lewis era was way more successful in terms of regular season than the 70s/80s.  More playoff and division championships.  So if you found 8 Bengals from 70s/80s then with out a doubt you'll find 8 or more with similar accolades/stats.

Then let's hope Burrow exceeds both eras.   Buy default you should have more players/coaches if that happens.

You run the risk of watering down the honor.

I just don't think you should start this thing off with 8 players from the 70s/80s.   Yes, we love those players because they were good but also over value them because of the inept pile of crap this franchise became and seems always trying to dig out of.

My plan would be to get 8/10 or less players/coaches pre 2020 spread over the next 4 years.  With weekend celebrations in the pre season.   Fireworks.   Post game video and salutes to the players.  That kinda thing.

44 minutes ago, AMPHAR said:

I would love for them to do a pre season weekend long celebration for the initial class.  

The Reds do a great job marketing theirs.

That doesn't help sell tickets to eight home games though. 

15 minutes ago, membengal said:

That doesn't help sell tickets to eight home games though. 

It could if you do it right.   The Bengals did the 50 year thing two seasons ago.  Tickets were not in demand.  It was the last season I had them and it was the worst demand I've seen selling them.   I don't think a game sold out that year.

The Bengals have a long over due void of something like "Reds Fest".   Much like the Ring of Honor they deny or drag their feet.   They could tie this into 1 along with the opening of TC and make it weekend deal.  Then come up with some real perks for ticket buyers.

The measure of helping to sell tickets isn't "selling out the game". Nice try. It is, does doing it one a week help sell more tickets than you otherwise would? Then, if so, do it that way. 

You can still do something like you are suggesting and reveal one name a week at the eight home games at halftime all year and keep excitement going. There is no reason to limit themselves. 

34 minutes ago, membengal said:

If they did 8 this year, that doesn't stop them from doing more in future years. You do 8 this year because they are decades behind in doing this and need to catchup. 

There's probably no downside in doing too many.    I think the Steelers have 41.   Cowboys 20.  Denver 23. Indy Colts have like 17.

I just don't think a franchise with no Championships has that many Ring of Honor types.

But the end of the day its a marketing thing so I don't think it really matters.

9 minutes ago, AMPHAR said:

There's probably no downside in doing too many.    I think the Steelers have 41.   Cowboys 20.  Denver 23. Indy Colts have like 17.

I just don't think a franchise with no Championships has that many Ring of Honor types.

But the end of the day its a marketing thing so I don't think it really matters.

Yeah. We do. Ring of Honor is as much about honoring the fans as the players. Connects fans to their experience and joy following the team. I can do a quick list of 20+ without breaking a sweat. 

Coy Bacon, Lemar Parrish, Bob Trumpy, Dan Ross, Ken Anderson, Isaac Curtis, Anthony Munoz, Max Montoya, Cris Collinswoth, Dan Ross, Rodney Holman, James Brooks, Reggie Williams, Ken Riley, Corey Dillon, Willie Anderson, Boomer Esiason, Eddie Edwards, David Fulcher, Tim Krumrie, Chad Johnson, TJ Housmandzadeh, and down the road Andrew Whitworth, Geno Atkins, AJ Green, Carlos Dunlap, Leon Hall,  maybe even Andy Dalton (dunno on that one).  There is no reason to be stingy with this. I am sure I am forgetting some names. 

4 minutes ago, membengal said:

The measure of helping to sell tickets isn't "selling out the game". Nice try. It is, does doing it one a week help sell more tickets than you otherwise would? Then, if so, do it that way. 

You can still do something like you are suggesting and reveal one name a week at the eight home games at halftime all year and keep excitement going. There is no reason to limit themselves. 

Yes it does.   The black out rule is gone.  Having a dedicated season ticket base is the only way to move the needle towards sell outs.    Walk up during the season sales don't happen in an impactful way unless winning occurs.

The Bengals 50 year celebration was 2017 season.  They dropped 80K from the year before (2016)and dropped 20K more in 2018.

If they could and they should tie this thing into yearly season ticket holder perks.  It would help much more than an 8 game rollout, IMO.

20 minutes ago, membengal said:

Yeah. We do. Ring of Honor is as much about honoring the fans as the players. Connects fans to their experience and joy following the team. I can do a quick list of 20+ without breaking a sweat. 

Coy Bacon, Lemar Parrish, Bob Trumpy, Dan Ross, Ken Anderson, Isaac Curtis, Anthony Munoz, Max Montoya, Cris Collinswoth, Dan Ross, Rodney Holman, James Brooks, Reggie Williams, Ken Riley, Corey Dillon, Willie Anderson, Boomer Esiason, Eddie Edwards, David Fulcher, Tim Krumrie, Chad Johnson, TJ Housmandzadeh, and down the road Andrew Whitworth, Geno Atkins, AJ Green, Carlos Dunlap, Leon Hall,  maybe even Andy Dalton (dunno on that one).  There is no reason to be stingy with this. I am sure I am forgetting some names. 

Like I said it's marketing.    They can do whatever they want.   If it were my choice I would make sure I'd get the MVPs, HOFers, and the should be HOFers first. Then your All-Pros.  Then all time stat leaders like a Riley who got snubbed a bunch.   

I don't know if I'm putting in the Leon Hall's of the world.   But again if there's a portion of Bengals Nation that is demanding to see Leon Hall's name up on PBS facade then so be it, I guess. 

16 minutes ago, membengal said:

Well done, you, on taking this a weird fucking direction into a senseless argument. Back on ignore with you. 

lol.  You just hate facts that don't mesh with your POV.  Bottom line don't let "ticket sales" drive how they roll out the Ring of Honor because there isn't any impact at all.

Who the hell's arguing?  I have made it clear this is what I would do or my opinion on what could be done.

*** damn dude why do I keep coming off your ignore list?  You aren't interested in anything other than what you think.

My first 4 classes would be no brainer types for this franchise and targeting 8-10 players.

1. Paul Brown (if the family would let it).  IMO, this is a must do because he is over shadowed by other legendary coaches.

2. Munoz - Easy choice

3. Ken Anderson- MVP, should be HOFer.

4. Willie Anderson - IMO, if PFF would be around he'd never would as overlooked as he is.  No way to make a better statement to his career than induct him at the same time as Munoz.

That's probably were I would draw the line of the first class.

Third round:

1. Boomer - League MVP, AFC Champion .

2. Issac Curtis - 2nd team All Pro for 3 consecutive season in Cincinnati.  Tells me he's a should be HOFer if he played anywhere else. AFC Champion.

Third Round - I would focus on Marvin era player.  IMO, there a better bengals that should go in before some 80s fan favorites but this would depend on their retirement etc.

1. Whitworth.  If not for PFF he'd be doomed to Willie Anderson treatment.

2. Geno Atkins - All decade team.  Enough said.  I would put him in round 1 if he was retired.

4th round:

1. James Brooks.  AFC Champion. several pro bowls.  All time stat leader.

2.  I don't know about this last spot.  Chad Johnson?  Ken Riley? Lemar Parrish? Chris Collinsworth?  Carl Pickens?  Pete Johnson?  Dillon? 

Could mix and match rounds 3 and 4.  Pending on playing status at the time.

I just have a hard time getting to 10 players without risking it to become a repeat of anyone who made more than 1 pro bowl. 

6 hours ago, membengal said:

All that and you left out Bob Johnson. Some Bengals fan you are! :p :p :p

Yeah, Bob Johnson I think is the only player to have his number retired by the Bengals.  So yeah, he's in the first class.

Although Munoz is the greatest player the franchise ever had.  He or Paul Brown would be my first honored. 

I would honestly do tiers to the "Ring of Honor".  

Elected HOFer - Bronze statue, Name up in PBS, Picture on banner in concourse.

Bengal HOFer - Name up in PBS.  Picture on banner in concourse

Good Bengal - Picture on Banner in concourse

Then display 2 AFC Championship trophies on game day.  Recognize all Division winning years and AFC Championship years somehow.

That way you check all the boxes.  But again it  doesn't hurt to over recognize.