Coaching changes on staff

membengal

Supposedly Tobin was the main point man in the coaching search. 

Given his failed strategy across the line in multiple years.   Then even with rumored coaching changes...how is he safe?

Then if they actually go as far to fire Zac after 2 years, how do you let him pick another coach? 

Should be gone too. 

7 minutes ago, AMPHAR said:

Supposedly Tobin was the main point man in the coaching search. 

Given his failed strategy across the line in multiple years.   Then even with rumored coaching changes...how is he safe?

Then if they actually go as far to fire Zac after 2 years, how do you let him pick another coach? 

Should be gone too. 

I mean yeah, but now we’re getting into that fantasyland where the FO realizes they suck and decide to turn things into a pro style organization with a GM and appropriate staffing and all that. Owners own, managers manage, coaches coach, scouts scout, players play. That’s doubtful to say the least.

• Thanks 1

So guess they are keeping Zac Shula.....I mean Zac Taylor.

So happy to retain a coach that has won 6 games in two years, and who could not even win with a healthy team. A guy who ruins careers can’t wait, stay Bullish bengals!! 

Maybe he will hire more of his friends soon can’t wait lol lol. 

In all honesty though I hope this team gets its crap together and we actually see some winning football again, getting tired of watching crap.

From the desk of Mike Brown via Bengals.com:

Bengals President Mike Brown released the following statement about the direction of the team:

"Our fans wanted a fresh new direction two years ago, and that is what we aimed to do in hiring a bright, energetic head coach in Zac Taylor. We remain bullish on the foundation Zac is building, and we look forward to next year giving our fans the winning results we all want. In Zac's two years, we have added many new starters and contributors through the draft, we have invested heavily in free agency, and we have acquired a talented young quarterback with a bright future.

"This season we faced challenges with injuries at key positions and missed opportunities. I am proud of our football team for fighting hard through adversity. That adversity and hard work will help us next season. We'll enter the offseason looking to shore up our weaknesses and amplify the strengths of our talented young core. We are not discouraged, but instead feel motivated and confident that next year will reap the benefits of the work that has been done to date. We must capitalize on the opportunities in front of us. Next year we will earn our stripes."

I'm not enthusiastic about Zac Taylor. I don't know how any fan could be at this point, to be honest.

Still, I don't blame the Bengals for doing this. I might even agree with the wisdom from a purely neutral point of view. For years I laughed at the Cleveland Browns for hiring and firing coaches in a perpetual cycle of 1- or 2-year stints, all but ensuring their franchise would enjoy zero stability. By their methodology, they could quite literally never improve until they struck a coaching jackpot or just got really lucky -- both of which may have applied to some extent this season.

It's not unheard of for successful coaches to start slow, and to grow into their positions much like young players have to. That doesn't mean Zac will turn it around. Probability suggests he won't -- but it also suggests any replacement would most likely fail too. So they've chosen continuity over total overhaul, and it's not a completely ridiculous idea. All we can do is shrug and hope it works out. At least Burrow trusts Zac a great deal, or at least he puts on a very convincing face.

• Like 1

Them getting rid of Turner is his punishment. Frankly, it's an apt punishment. Also, he has the hottest of seats now.

On an up note, retaining ZT means that they will again get to coach the Senior Bowl, which will be a HUGE deal because of how disjointed 2020 was for college. The staffs selected for the Senior Bowl have to, by NFL rule, have a head coach and majority of staff intact from previous year. The four teams with worse records than the Bengals have all already fired their coaches, so they are out. So, unless everyone is fired but ZT (unlikely) - they will be at the Senior Bowl again.

Zac has shown some positives that simply get overlooked or written off by fans/media that simply want to look at the final record.

A portion of the record ties directly back to Tobin.   

I’m not sure about Zac but there are glaring personnel mistakes starting with 18 mil on AJ Green who simply couldn’t get open.   Ross was Ross.  

Jonah Williams who I think has big upside simply hasn’t played at all.  They rode with him and Jordan to fix a horrible line.   That was horrible before Zac got here.

We’ll see but with next year’s schedule on paper it probably would have been better to scrap the entire thing and make that the honeymoon year because it looks difficult to get 6 wins next year. 

So what top assistants do you get with a lame duck HC?  What FAs can they realistically get with that looming over them?  

I thought it was odd that the statement didn't come from Katie or Tobin considering when Taylor was hired they tried to make it seem Mike wasn't really involved in the process.

Mike still has the ultimate trump card in the organization.  It's just a question of how often he uses it.

• Like 1

Unless they hire a bunch of well known coaches, we will be here next year talking about the same thing.

Then again who is really going to want to work with Taylor at this point. I can see them keeping Lou around because they can’t find a replacement. They really need to gut this staff and hope it happens

35 minutes ago, volcom69 said:

Unless they hire a bunch of well known coaches, we will be here next year talking about the same thing.

Then again who is really going to want to work with Taylor at this point. I can see them keeping Lou around because they can’t find a replacement. They really need to gut this staff and hope it happens

Yeah.   A lot of offseason to go but looking at the opponents next year we'll be talking about a losing season and coaching changes I fear.

Bengals President Mike Brown released the following statement about the direction of the team:

The Monolith speaks! Oh happy day! Blessed are we, who know not how hard it is to run an NFL franchise!

"Our fans wanted

BAM! Right oughta the gate. Whose fault is all this? Why, OURS of course! See? See how hard it is to run an NFL franchise? We gave you all what you wanted and it's been a fukking disaster! Maybe we should just buy tickets and STFU, right guys?

a fresh new direction two years ago, and that is what we aimed to do in hiring a bright, energetic head coach in Zac Taylor.

"Bright and energetic" is how kindergarten teachers refer to particularly precocious children. Seriously, have you ever been referred to as "bright and energetic" in a performance review or any adult situation?

We remain bullish on the foundation Zac is building, 

What foundation? As Zim ranted about on the OITNB vid I posted earlier, what is this team's identity? It has none.

and we look forward to next year giving our fans the winning results we all want.

Yeah, yeah, yeah, you "want" to win. In the same way I "want" to win the lotto. And I don't buy tickets.

In Zac's two years, we have added many new starters and contributors through the draft, we have invested heavily in free agency, and we have acquired a talented young quarterback with a bright future.

And you know what? So has every other team in the league!!! OK, not every team has drafted a young QB in the last two years, but the draft? FA? Every team does this! This is not an accomplishment, this is just the basics of your job! It's like describing your own success by starting with, "in the last two years, I have gotten out of bed, got dressed and driven to work many times."

"This season we faced challenges with injuries at key positions and missed opportunities.

Just like last season. And the season before that. And the season before that. Etcetera, etcetera. And unless Mike has that magic wishing rock from Wonder Woman 1984 up his sleeve, 2021 will be the same too, because injuries happen every year and "missed opportunities" ought to be the team's motto. Why should we expect the same players and coaches who have not been able to stay healthy or not miss opportunities to change?

I am proud of our football team for fighting hard through adversity. That adversity and hard work will help us next season.

Again, this is not an accomplishment! Lots and lots of people face adversity and put in hard work every single day all over the world.

We'll enter the offseason looking to shore up our weaknesses and amplify the strengths of our talented young core.

Good. So will every other team in the league. Again, this is not a strategy! This is what...every...team...does.

We are not discouraged, but instead feel motivated and confident that next year will reap the benefits of the work that has been done to date.

Why? Why are you confident? What in the last 30 years of doing the same thing over and over and getting the same results has you convinced that this time, you really will kick that football, Mike (Charlie) Brown?

We must capitalize on the opportunities in front of us.

Yes, and so must every other business concern in existence if they want to stay in existence. Except wait, you don't! You can field 50 random people pulled from the stands every week for 16 weeks and still be profitable because of NFL-wide TV revenue sharing! You don't have to do a gawd damned thing! Son of a beach, I think we've figured it all out!

Next year we will earn our stripes."

And if we don't we'll just update and re-issue this same statement again!

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

10 minutes ago, HoosierCat said:

Just like last season. And the season before that. And the season before that. Etcetera, etcetera. And unless Mike has that magic wishing rock from Wonder Woman 1984 up his sleeve, 2021 will be the same too, because injuries happen every year and "missed opportunities" ought to be the team's motto. Why should we expect the same players and coaches who have not been able to stay healthy or not miss opportunities to change?

Even if he had the rock he would likely wish for better creamed corn or maybe TJ's Grandma....doubtful he would wish for anything football related.

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

They got a long way to go and a short time to get there.....

The probably need to get 7-10 starting player upgrades.   A couple from the draft.  Hopefully a couple from the existing roster but there' always injury.

The only way out of this hole is to sign a handful of pros drafted by other teams.

3 hours ago, membengal said:

Them getting rid of Turner is his punishment. Frankly, it's an apt punishment. Also, he has the hottest of seats now.

On an up note, retaining ZT means that they will again get to coach the Senior Bowl, which will be a HUGE deal because of how disjointed 2020 was for college. The staffs selected for the Senior Bowl have to, by NFL rule, have a head coach and majority of staff intact from previous year. The four teams with worse records than the Bengals have all already fired their coaches, so they are out. So, unless everyone is fired but ZT (unlikely) - they will be at the Senior Bowl again.

He decided not to coach the senior bowl and let someone else coach it.