The Complete 2020-21 Offseason Plan v2

TJJackson

Eh,  its up to young LBs to earn their snaps.   Bynes played about 70% of snaps and won't be expensive.

Him resigning doesn't preclude them from playing a young player IF that player earns it OR drafting a LB IF the draft falls that way.

All upside if Bynes resigns, IMO.

Albert Breer seems to think we can trade Geno Atkins

I don't agree with that, unless some team somehow decides he will be back to his old self by August, but hey, if we can pick up even a late 7th round draft pick, thats so much better than getting nothing at all, which is what we'll get if he is simply released - and he seems 99% bound to be released anyway

1 hour ago, HoosierCat said:

About how I feel. I’d like to actually see them on someone before passing final judgement.

That and It's not presented real well in the those pictures.   If that's real one its basically what a lot of fan mock ups had and it cleans up a lot of what was bad with the previous jerseys.    I would like to see the away because those were the worse part, IMO.

Plus no "B" logo.  

Not my top choice of all the mock up, but I bought and wore the previous ones and would easily buy one (if this is the design).    The home black is very close to 80s, IMO.

so now that Scherff has been tagged, the price on Thuney will be going up.....the rarer the commodity, the more expensive it is

I mean, if he ends up having to settle for less money (and by less, I mean 14-15 M) he will likely I'd guess sign with a contender

which we aint

so more and more I am looking towards identifying a lesser OG candidate, one in the 8-10 M range, and getting that guy signed quickly

But....last time I reviewed the OG list, pickings were slim after Scherff and Thuney

EDIT:  so I re-reviewed the FA OG list and yea, there's a huge drop after those two.  My new target is Germain Ifedi, who I would guess we could sign for about 6-7M annual average and I'd try to target a 1 or 2 year "rental" contract while we draft OL high for the next couple of years  If anyone has paywall access to PFF, I'd love to know what his pass blocking rating for 2020 is/was. His overall was/is 65. He played through injuries and did not miss a game in 2020  He has game experience not only as an OG, but also as an ORT, which is a plus.

This article points out that Ifedi had a higher PFF grade (it doesn't say how high) when he was playing ORG early in the year, but his grade dropped when he had to move to ORT later in the year due to an injury at the ORT spot.  So I am comfortable saying he's a high sixties or low seventies guy at ORG, which is where I'd want him

One the other hand, this article was less than enthusiastic about his 2020 play

I'm still all in on Thuney if we can get hm at say 13-14M annual, but I think it will take 18-20.  He might take less for a contender, I suppose, but not here.  I will be glad to be wrong

but If I am right and he's out of range.......

GIMME IFEDI on Day 1 of FA

6-7m for Ifedi?  OK.  Good for him.   Wouldn't pay that at all.    He flopped at RT from a bad Seahawks line.   Didn't get his 5th year option picked up.   Signed a 1 year $1m year deal with Chicago

Chicago with a line ranked in the 20s (PFF) isn't making him a priority.  

Ifedi has a lot of starts and a former 1st rounder but I don't think he's a first day FA signing.  Sounds like a back burner late 1st week or maybe even unsigned through April type.

As fan to really hope he would be improvement he'd be a RG only type.  If you have him at RT he's a Hart level type.

Needs are all over this place with this team.   My first wish is to fix OL via FA because that way in my mind on draft day at least its fixed and you can then entertain Chase/Pitts one of the franchise TD makers available.

BUT IF Thuney flies off the FA board with a mega deal.  Then chase the All Pro Center on the market.

OR chase some other upgrades at other positions.

Guys like Ifedi or Cam aren't deserving of your prime deals and cap dollars.  They are worth back burner 3rd tier prove it FA deals.  

Mem: I will look at those two.....I was however just using the list you provided in the FA-OL thread in what I said earlier

I've seen multiple folks talking about Thuney or Scherff getting as much as 20M annual.....I dont think we should risk that much on one FA

I do see that Detriot released a guy named Bodine, seems to be a OL guy, maybe I should read up on him?

I will edit this post after looking at todays cuts.  Today should be a very very busy one, transactions-wise

1.  NE has traded for OT Trent Brown, a guy I was hoping we'd have a shot at.  This means they absorbed his high cap contract, which dramatically reduces their remaining cap money and also makes it less likely that they hold onto Thuney

2. Gabe Jackson with 65 PFF rating seems solid as long as he is in the 5-7M range, but he is older than I'd prefer.  Still probably can be rented for 2 years while we develop some young OGs

3. I don't see any guards cut by the Jags......but.....if you are referring to Norwell I'd love to have him if the Jags do release him with a contract in the 9-11M range.  Ive talked about him extensively in another earlier post.  He's from the suburb in Cincinnati where I now live

Maybe he was on the previous list but you don't like him. Andrew Norwell.

Also, Kevin Zeitler, still just 31, about to get the ziggy for the Giants. 

Jacksonville Jaguars: 3 potential FA replacements for G Andrew Norwell - Page 4 (blackandteal.com)

My general thoughts are that there are a shit-ton of really quite good guards available (and we have not even talked about the return of Larry Warford) which will keep Thuney from breaking the bank at the levels you were musing about. And there's lot of options if the Bengals don't go to a crazy number for Thuney. 

I like Norwell....wrote a long post about him earlier, maybe 3-4 days ago.  Local kid, grew up in the suburb I live in right now

But while I have seen the rumors, I haven't seen that he's been released yet

I dont think Zeitlers been released yet either....he'd work as a 1-2 rental til we get some young OGs up to speed

As for Warford, the team has had a year to bring him in and hasn't.  Seemingly neither have any other teams.  I dunno whats going on there.

Geno isn't released either. Nor is Hart. But they are gonna be. So, Norwell and Zeitler will be in the pool. Also in the pool is G Nick Easton (Saints) and noted dickhead RIchie Incognito (Raiders).  The point is. the pool of FA guards now and after cuts is gonna be deep. Thuney isn't getting THAT fat a bag in FA.