The Complete 2020-21 Offseason Plan v2

TJJackson

Being just over or under the projected cap is going to be the worse.   It could cost you a player.

Being way under you can go about your business somewhat in a normal fashion and by the time Rookie pool and injury pad come knocking they should have final cap number in place

Being way over same thing.  Teams can start cutting salary cap fat as normal.

Those teams that barely have enough room to tender/tag key players will be in trouble. 

It sounds from the above like it is safe to assume that the cap is 175M

That is more than enough to work with some of the lower tier players like Daniels, Spain, and Brandon Wilson -- get them signed to low (by NFL standards) contracts so that they are done and out of the way and most importantly OFF THE MARKET before Mar 15 rolls around

None of you are going to get me to believe that the Bengals dont have enough CAP with 175M set as the min to work with these lower tier inhouse FAs

Now, if LeShaun "Automatic TD" Sims gets swiped from us, boo freakin hoo :-)

But...is it? Because if the cap is at 175 or 180, won't that put a massive squeeze on some teams? (note - it will). And, if so, perhaps there are gonna be a some really good players cut from those teams to get under the cap who are better than Daniels, Spain and/or Wilson? Like, just maybe? So should the Bengals be locking in those players and take themselves out of the chance for upgrades that might be possible at the margins if teams have to let more players go than usual?

I for one don't want to find out we lost out on legit upgrades from surprise cap casualties because we bought in early on Daniels or Spain...

that still doesnt leave out signing the guys who are nfl vet min or vet min plus incentives, guys who if we later cut dont impact financials at all?

they could go through the list of FAs, pick out some guys who a) could be signed to such contracts and b) we want to keep, and get them done

geez, cant they get SOME work done?

Another way to look at it is that whatever they do, the Bengals don’t stand to lose very many players. I guarantee you, no team is out there salivating over the chance to sign guys like Spain or Wilson. Probably not even WJ3. Mayyyyybe a team or two has an eye on Lawson, but again no one is going to rush out and break the bank for him.

The Bengals are a bad team for a lot of reasons and one of them is that they don’t have a great deal of elite talent. There’s time to do deals and frankly there is not a single FA I am concerned about losing, even the much fawned over Lawson, because I think equivalent players won’t be hard to find.

8 hours ago, AMPHAR said:

Could see a lot of 1 year deals for FAs.   Guys looking to enter 2022 as FAs assuming revenue and cap growth return.

Yep, so knowing that, you need to put that option on the table so you can be more attractive to FAs this year.

For FAs where you want longer term contracts, like Lawson and WJ3, I'd offer them terms where the dollars grow if the cap grows......if the cap goes up by 10%, this bonus here goes up by 10%. 

To protect against worries that the cap will go down yet again, put minimums on those same numbers, ie this workout bonus never goes below x

simple enough

yeah yeah, this is one I WILL call you on when we lose a valued FA because we sat on our hands for months when we could have taken them off the market before FA started

I'll even call it - it will be either our punter or our kick returner

side promise: I will sleep better than I have in years the night that LeShaun "TD Guaranteed" Sims is cruelly snatched away from us

1 hour ago, ShulaSteakhouse said:

Would like to see Alexander brought back.  

I liked him too but a lot of the bengals chattering class says he is like most other slot corners and easily replaceable. Not sure how the bengals will view this. 

I think Alexander showed that he is a better than average corner in the little time he had on the field

I'd like to see him signed to a heavily incentive-based contract, personally......for me, injury risk guys need incentive based contracts

as far as the players I can see them moving forward to sign now: Daniels, the Estonian Nightmare, Brandon Wilson, and Huber. 

I will also say this: there is in my opinion no reason NOT to negotiate with Lawson and WJ3.  For each, get a sense of if he's willing to return, how much it will take if so, and also try to engender a feeling of "hey, after you get your best offer, please give us a chance to match or beat it"

Pretty sure they know exactly what each is asking, which is why they are testing FA. Only one of the four you mentioned who I would like to see back is Huber. No musts there. Daniels, Wilson and the Estonian, i don't see any rush. They are all replaceable.

As for the salary cap, its apparently gonna be $180.5 million, and here's the tags per position:

Jason_OTC
On a $180.5M cap the franchise tag numbers should be

QB- $24.828M
WR- $15.808M
CB- $14.895M
LB- $14.630M
DE- $14.530M
DT- $13.736M
OL- $13.602M
S- $10.496M
TE- $8.496M
RB- $8.074M
P/K- $4.433M

10 minutes ago, TJJackson said:

I get that from a cost of contract perspective, but I'd prefer not to tag a young player because it seemingly always leads to anger and resentment and ultimately the players departure the following year

Lawson and WJ3 should be addressed if at all possibly with longterm contracts

Sure. If one works. But I'd rather have Lawson on a tag than lose him. He's young enough he's not gonna throw a year of his career away. Solid guy. He would play under a tag. WJ III is way older than I thought - 29 by the way...not sure I want into a long-term at his age...

Pre-Covid (about this time last year), NFL front offices were planning for a salary cap of around $210 million. So long-range budgeting planning for teams is about $30 million dollars off. That's why so many teams are in a bind.  The Bengals enter FA with the sixth most space available (and that's not counting likely cuts like Geno and Hart). Setting down my marker, there is NO reason they can't do serious business in FA again this year. Fuck Hobson and his spinning. If they want two legit FA o-lineman and to re-sign Lawson or WJIII and tag the other if need be, guess what, they can do that.