The Complete 2020-21 Offseason Plan v2

TJJackson

I know you all like your jokes, but the cap wasn't officially set until two days ago and the market is flooding with Edge players. There was no good reason to set the market with an overpay. I love Lawson, but I want him at the right price given their needs. And if he is too much, there are a lot of options at d-line in FA...

Fwiw this is from espn’s “let’s pretend” piece, just to throw out an idea of the value of a potential deal...

Carl Lawson, Edge

2020 team: Bengals | Free-agent rank: 36

Bengals' offer: Three years, $60 million ($40M guaranteed and $10M signing bonus) ... Sign with the team that you are already building with. We're on the verge of making a playoff push under second-year QB Joe Burrow, and we want you to be part of it. -- Ben Baby

Browns' offer: Four years, $56 million ($20M guaranteed) ... Join a budding young core, play opposite Myles Garrett, rack up sack numbers, compete in the playoffs and contribute to a Super Bowl contender. -- Jake Trotter

Vikings' offer: Four years, $63 million ($30M guaranteed, $1M bonus for 10-plus sacks in 2022 and $100,000 workout bonus every year) ... We have produced high-end pass-rushers under coach Mike Zimmer's guidance for seven seasons. You would have the opportunity to start opposite Danielle Hunter and consistently log double-digit sacks. -- Courtney Cronin

The decision: Lawson picks the Bengals

This is pretty straightforward. The Bengals' offer is by far the best, and I get to stay home. -- Graziano

For the record, no I don’t see the Bengals giving him 20m/year.

https://www.espn.com/nfl/story/_/id/31037927/simulating-nfl-free-agency-2021-signs-where-why-patriots-big-winners

Williams being gone really throws a wrench into things from my point of view.

New hope, 2 guards in FA, a speed WR in FA, and then pray that Sewell is there at 5. If he's not, then trade back. It's not ideal, but not sure there is anyone in FA at RT now that I want over Sewell or another top T. 

33 minutes ago, membengal said:

Williams being gone really throws a wrench into things from my point of view.

New hope, 2 guards in FA, a speed WR in FA, and then pray that Sewell is there at 5. If he's not, then trade back. It's not ideal, but not sure there is anyone in FA at RT now that I want over Sewell or another top T. 

Reilly Reiff and Eric Fisher would both be upgrades at RT and would be good stop gaps.

On 3/11/2021 at 5:53 PM, TJJackson said:

so my new favorite "Guard" to sign right now is Linsley.  I think he'll sign for about the same money Thuney would, but give us more bang for our bucks.  Gimme a 3 year deal (36M-ish) or a very front-loaded 4 year deal (45M-ish)

so it looks like NFL.coms's Gil Brandt is thinking exactly like me :-)

https://www.cincyjungle.com/2021/3/13/22328611/nfl-free-agency-corey-linsley-bengals-green-bay-packers-news

I dont know if thats a "good for you TJ" or "Gil, you've completely lost it, dude.  Pack up your bags, you're gone"

Sheeran seems to think Hopkins wont play as well at ORG.  I recall him playing just as well.

I think the overall improvement to the line will be bigger - optimal -  with Linsley at OC and Hopkins at ORG.

and there's no one else on the market with a freakin 90 PFF rating.  The others we are looking at are in the 65-80 range.

GIve me this and the trade for Havenstein and kick Hart's ass out the door and the line looks like this

1S:  Williams  Sua-Filo    Linsley    Hopkins      Havenstein

2S:  Adeniji     Spain        Hopkins   r2/3 pick    Fred             

3S:  Fred         r2/3 pick   Price        Spain          Adeniji

Because I dont expect to retain Price beyond this year, I am hoping that the 2nd or 3rd round pick is a C/G like Dickerson, Humphrey, or Meinerz (the last of which can probably be had in r4)  I want that player to be able to become our starting center in 2-3 years

If we dont get a ORT in trade, replace "Havenstein" with a FA ORT like Reiff or Wagner

If we dont get an ORT in FA, replace "Havenstein" with Sewell, Slater, or Darrisaw.  Non optimal, but it is what it is a that point

6 hours ago, Wraith said:

I forgot about Villanueva.  He would be a good mid-tier RT pickup in FA.

Villanueva was once a Bengal as best I recall.....a UDCFA

https://www.pff.com/nfl/players/alejandro-villanueva/9091

He's gonna be 33 during this season, so if we do pick him up, it should be a year to year thing......and Pollack should really check him over carefully first

If Pollack ok's him, I think it'll be fine as a 1 year stopgap only

The numbers have finally been Hobsonized!

As the cap sits at $182.5 million, the Bengals figure to have about $20 million to spend in cap dollars after budgeting $11 million for draft picks and accounting for other items like injuries, practice squad players and incentives.

You thought we had a lot of space? Nope, sorry, just a measly 20 bills after Rookie Pool, Injury Pad and Taxi Squad took their cut.

Of course, they could get creative and maybe push some hits into...

But don't look for the Bengals to deviate from their eat-each-meal approach so they avoid structuring deals that balloon in future years. That's why they're in good shape now. Using their year-by-year model, in the last decade the Bengals count themselves in the top half of the league when it comes to cap spending as well as cash over cap.

...never mind. So Duke, what’s the plan then?

"We're going to see what comes our way," Tobin said.

Uhhhh...

Hopefully we will be able to get the things done that we envision. Whether it happens or not we'll see."

Confidence. I am just filled with it. Not.

https://www.bengals.com/news/bengals-head-into-nfl-s-new-year

• Like 1

So does Liz’s vision include muzzling Hobson?  It’s amazing how tone deaf that organization is. 

This week casual fans are going to flock in mass to the internet to check FA updates.  If your a marketing person with a “vision”: 

1. Have at least 1 day 1 transaction to announce 

2. Have your organization leaked list of targets/offers etc. 

Instead they release the annual cap accounting.  Then probably sit out day 1.

This is why you don’t hand out executive positions to unqualified family.  

• Like 1

2 hours ago, HoosierCat said:

The numbers have finally been Hobsonized!

You thought we had a lot of space? Nope, sorry, just a measly 20 bills after Rookie Pool, Injury Pad and Taxi Squad took their cut.

Of course, they could get creative and maybe push some hits into...

...never mind. So Duke, what’s the plan then?

Uhhhh...

Confidence. I am just filled with it. Not.

https://www.bengals.com/news/bengals-head-into-nfl-s-new-year

Good to know that they’re staying with their tried and true method.  

• Like 1

2 hours ago, AMPHAR said:

This week casual fans are going to flock in mass to the internet to check FA updates.  If your a marketing person with a “vision”: 

This is an under appreciated point. If you want to build excitement, sell tix and luxury boxes (which at least theoretically gives you more cash on hand to use on players...ha ha who am I kidding?), raise your ad and sponsorship rates...you know, make money...a splashy signing or two wouldn’t hurt. Instead we get the usual poor mouthing.

& yup mem, hopefully Hobs is as lost this year as last. That said, Duke’s lackadaisical attitude here is infuriating.

Yea which is why I’m not very excited about football at this point. Will see if they do anything exciting, that will will get me excited about the year, but as of now it’s Burrow and that’s it. 

Not to mention I really don’t like the coach at all, and I really dislike the fact they did nothing at all about the defense coordinator. 

So this maybe the very first year I don’t get some kind of a football package to watch or listen them, since like 2003. It’s just sad to always see them do the same thing every year. However if I don’t get then maybe they will actually do good lol lol.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, AMPHAR said:

So does Liz’s vision include muzzling Hobson?  It’s amazing how tone deaf that organization is. 

This is why you don’t hand out executive positions to unqualified family.  

It's as if he's instructed to prepare the public for disappointment every season.

• Like 2

so here we are, on the eve of free agency

the Bengals have not even managed to re-sign their punter or kick returner, much less a starter

several quality veteran OLs on the open market that they didnt need to wait til FA to sign, and not even a single visit was had, with none scheduled either

Oh, but word is that they've got a visit coming from a washed up corner who didnt even play in half the games last season, who was released a month ago.  Said another way, a visit could have been set up a month ago, well before the flurry of activity that is sure to commence (well, for other teams, at least) starting this week

ah yes, and that franchise tag they didn't apply, allegedly because they were close with Lawson?  Yeah, not a peep about any Lawson negotiations. 

Lawson even said earlier this past week that negotiations hadnt even started

yes folks, this is our fine FO hard at work as always

god bless'em

I do want to watch Burrow.....but I dont want to watch a man running for his freakin life and getting body parts shredded again

there are times when I hate being a Bengals fan....this is one of them

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1