Defensive Coaching Shakeup Coming?

HoosierCat

Marvin has an eye for coaching talent and playing talent.   I would welcome a return in that role, but not a return to the sideline.

So if he wants to coach,  I don't think you can add him to front office with that desire.   To conflicting.

The rumor before the hiring of Zac was they respect Hue Jackson but never considered him because of him being too close to Marvin and the worry the fanbase would reject it.

This quote from a source close to Burrow is a good sign: “He loves it there and thinks he can win a Super Bowl with them.”

Questions persist about whether Taylor did enough with a maligned offensive line to protect Burrow. But the Bengals are in the process of phasing out older veterans, which takes time, and five of their losses this season were by five points or fewer. They were in almost every game they played prior to the Burrow injury. Because of all that, there’s a loose belief that Taylor could get another year. But a spirited finish would certainly help erase the doubt.”

Not Defensive coaching staff related, but in general coaching staff related.  Floating around on yahoo.

https://sports.yahoo.com/joe-burrow-save-zac-taylor-141814617.html?soc_src=social-sh&soc_trk=tw&tsrc=twtr&guccounter=1&guce_referrer=aHR0cDovL3RoZWJlbmdhbHNib2FyZC5jb20vVGhyZWFkLVRoZXJlLXMtYS1sb29zZS1iZWxpZWYtdGhhdC1UYXlsb3ItY291bGQtZ2V0LWFub3RoZXIteWVhcg&guce_referrer_sig=AQAAAF25k_2csNFwIgQkLMGSSEH7uiUYOWoDlleeApw-AuHqjsGnqj_laOcOQzLhdZg9S6iEqhCVzz_UVAs4MqPX5QlfIB9-e0hS8guYPnaQ6RS6SLGXlk5cDwwwH2KVFaiRlZ_SOF-IS5w2qgTeIyIKcROnSL5BDRGmcjQoY0SyHcVj

On 12/9/2020 at 8:37 AM, COB said:

I have been reading about the head coaching prospects.  Patrick Graham, the current DC for the Giants, seems to fit everything we need.  He’s a leader, has the respect of his players.  Our current guy may be a great guy, but the players don’t respect him.  Being a defensive coach, it also allows a search for the best and brightest offensive mind to work with Burrow.  He could be involved in that search.

Edit to add the following:   I want this guy because with Zac it’s not scheme related failure in my opinion.  He wasn’t ready, doesn’t have the status or gravitas, whatever it’s called, to lead a team through a rebuild.  The culture has deteriorated.  We need to fix that right now.  Patrick Graham does that.  Plus he’s fixed the Giants’ defense, we’d love to have that defense.  

Come on Mike, just pay Zac off and get moving, no point in dragging this out another season.  It didn’t work, move on.

I learned on NFL game day this guy's nickname is "The Black Picasso", lol.

So what we are saying is we are going to give Taylor more years to ween out all the good players that have played here, only to get fired in a couple years, for another HC to come in rebuild again.......Brilliant!!! 

I have not seen anything Taylor has done that says he can win games. He can’t even win games with a healthy Burrow and the players he brought in. He will always be the “almost” coach as in almost won a game. I’m just getting tired of watching him coach this team, getting rid of players that were good under another HC to bring his players in and win 2 games. I understand it takes time, but show me some hope, show me something, he has shown me nothing!

Just saw Guenther got fired by the Raiders.  Is he better than Lou? I don't know.  But he knows the org.   I don't know why any of these veteran DC's would want to coach for Taylor though - young and inexperienced and failing miserably.   They'd have to have no other, better possibilities.

Out of the trash heap of recently fired Defensive Coaches I would take Greg Williams over Guenther and 100 times over what we have with Sweet Lou.

You would have to get used to dirty, nasty, cheap shot defense.  But what the hell?   When we had that with Burfict it was a lot more interesting than what we've seen this year or any season sense.   

Downside of course is his history he's out of the Buddy Ryan tree and has that same bravado, so hits on offensive players and QBs seems to matter more than the actual game.

Upside is he has a very good reputation of fitting his "scheme" to whatever he has at the time and puts play making above all else.  

Any other candidate I would be swayed towards 3-4 alignment.  I don't know what you do with Atkins, but I would like to see Margus Hunt as a reserve NT for a few snaps just to see if he could consistently drive a Center and guard combo block backwards.   Then Hunt as reserve strong side DE.

Hunt's strength is occupying blockers.  If you can get play makers to finish the play he'd be worth a roster spot as a reserve D-line.

His current performance is because he’s been hurt all year and for some idiotic reason they kept him on the sideline. They finally gave up this week and put him on IR, now he’s headed to surgery. Should have happened back in late summer.

https://www.bengals.com/news/atkins-becomes-third-bengals-dt-to-finish-season-on-ir

Unless I hear about they gave him bad info on his shoulder,  I can't be upset nor call this idiotic.

If Geno, goes to Mike Brown and says I want to play and try to rehab.   History of the family is they are going to respect that player's wishes as much as  they can.   Given the injury stuff at the position group it was easier for them to justify it.

Same franchise that gave Devon Still a practice squad spot due to his daughter.  Geno's family just had a baby so I'm not sure that played a factor in it or not.