The Knee

HoosierCat

All we can do is wait and see. Maybe he comes back no problem, maybe it takes longer and involves more work, maybe he’s Kenny Irons and it just never heals right. IANAD so I make no predictions, other than the useless observation that it will be what it will be.

It does sadly mean that they’re going to have to address QB in some form in the offseason. At the very least they’re going to have to sign an experienced vet, like a Fitzy or Dalton type, to at least hold down the fort and maybe not lose every game if Burrow can’t get back before week 1 2021.

What they do in the draft probably depends on how Joe’s rehab goes in the next five months.

Nothing you can do; just wait and see...

With Palmer I remember the surgeon over played his work by claiming it was career threatening and I believe there was push back from the Palmer family at the time.   Something like everything can be called career threatening at some point using worse case scenario.

Also from Palmer it was apparent in July he would be back but they slowed rolled his return to TC and he came back against the Packers in preseason.   One of the better preseason memories I have.   Crowd went nuts when jogged into the huddle.

Fans say Palmer was never the same and maybe he wasn't but he had Pro Bowl season following year and was rated in the 90s.  Slight decrease in passer rating which could easily been explained by the loss of Brahm, Levi Jones and all the other injury and game losses from suspension.

• Like 1

Just draft another franchise QB and alternate them on IR each year when one gets hurt behind the terrible o-line. Who else has thought of that? That way you always have a franchise QB if one gets hurt.  So what if half your cap $$ goes to QB's, at least you won't have to watch Finley every season.

• Like 1

Nobody is going to work harder to get through the rehab efficiently than Joe Burrow, so I'm going to trust he'll do everything he can do. The injury happened, so there's nothing else to be said about that.

Every ounce of the 4% of my sports attention that I pay to the Bengals for the time being will be on how they prepare for his return -- whenever it is. Penei Sewell? Great. Go lose out. Don't you dare fucking win a game. Finish 3rd overall and he's probably yours. Perhaps more importantly, I want to see an offense developing that doesn't send the QB out with nobody in the backfield constantly against great pass-rushing defenses. Even teams with decent offensive lines think twice before doing that shit.

• Like 1

Timeline right now is dependent on politics and swelling. 

There are millions at stake and various opinions.  Who does the surgery? Where?  Then who leads the rehab and how does that work if it’s different parties?

Summary from a Reds doctor on Bengals line.  

Swelling can delay the procedure as well.  I think Carson’s was put off due pro longed swelling. 

This Dr. Chao on Fox Sports thinks the talk of Burrow sitting out 2021 and wait for 2022 is a gross over reaction.

He said many times with an ACL tear there additional damage and people are over reacting to the news of the MCL,  not all that uncommon.  Not all that more complicated.   Basically repairing ACL and letting MCL heal.

Remains confident that he'll be back for 2021, BUT of course he'll be stronger through out 2021.    Wouldn't rule out starting week 1.

Not Wentz.   Not Bridgewater.

9 hours ago, ShulaSteakhouse said:

I think every 1st round pick since 2015 have missed most or all of their rookie seasons here? (or at least 6 games or more) 

Then there was Dre Kirk and the Andre Smith injuries prior to that.

I really don't know what to make of it any more.  

Just a good example of how meaningless stats can be manipulated to fit a narrative.

Billy Price?  Yeah he may have missed games with an injury but that was clearly a situation that he was over matched and the guy behind him was clearly better.   So yeah, your hurt, go heal yourself.   Might have been different if he was actually good.

Ross similar thing.  Marvin didn't want the pick he wanted OJ Howard.  So yeah, Ross sit over there until your healthy and just sit there.  Probably would have been different as rookie IF Marvin was on board.

Ced - they drafted him knowing he'd be PUP

Dre - They had every former first round CB playing very well.  He got hurt but wasn't going to be counted on as a rookie or even really a 2nd year player.

Jackson, Williams, Burrow,  were kicks in the nuts for sure. 

Until somebody competent can put together a team, and actually build a team around burrow I have no hope, and just can’t find reason to believe.
What a shame, this offense could have been something special, if they had coaches who could build this team right. The defense might not have been up there yet but they could have built on that. 

Sounds like Zac is not on any hot seat and he seems to love all his coaching staff so I’m sure not much will happen in the offseason.