Bengals @ Steelers Game Thread

HoosierCat

I love how the Steelers hold guys up and strip at the ball.   The very second your team does the same.....whistle blew.

There was probably a handful of times progress had been stopped by a Bengal ball carrier and they strip at it.   If the ball would have come out, I"m sure there wouldn't be any whistle.   Crazy how fast the whistle is on the opposite side.

Then it's been all season Burrow simply isn't protected by the Refs AND Zac Taylor needs to start bitching about it game week and post game.  Even if he has to take a couple fines.

There's been several late hits not called on Burrow. 

Holding simply isn't called on the Steelers o-line either.

Keep in mind this is not to say the Bengals could have or should have won.  No they are a better team AND OUR defenders have a chance to intercept balls or sack a QB and they don't.   Just annoying on top of the loss.

• Like 2

The bias by the refs whenever we play the Rapistburgers is beyond obvious year after year after year.  We're going to have to play twice as well as them to ever overcome that disadvantage and win, and right now, we're not even close to playing that well.  Even on a mistake free game

After he left New Guy in when it was obvious the game was a blowout, Taylor is now hated by me.  He can leave town now for all I care.  I understand the losses, but leaving New Guy in to get injured is an unforgivable and fire-able offense imo

• Like 1

We all know this team isn't good enough to beat the Steelers on the road in normal circumstances while committing bad turnovers. But playing with another make-shift line, down four coaches, down almost the entire CB room, and down Mixon - well, in that circumstance you CANNOT fumble the ball like Erickson did to start the game nor lose it like Higgins did later in the first quarter. You just can't. The Erickson one really pisses me off - because he let it affect him the rest of the game too. He was terrible receiving punts all day.

The frustrating thing, as usual, for me as a Bengals fan, is to watch seemingly every break and refs call go Pittsburgh's way. No PI in the first series against Pittsburgh, but PI against Jackson for similar contact. Ben goes down like he's been shot when Hubbard was blocked into him and did everything he could not to hit him at all (and really did spare Roeth) and that gets a flag while Burrow gets shoved out of bounds into the benches and hurts his ankle at end of first half and no call. That Higgins was not ruled forward progress stopped and that fumble allowed while Pittsburgh's fumble was ruled forward progress stopped. Oh, and at least five balls tipped and floating in the Bengals secondary that found turf and did not turn into interceptions.

And, then, on the team, they didn't make plays when they could have. Bates should have had a pick 6 to make it 22-14. He doesn't bring it in. Burrow missed Higgins to start second half. They had about five chances to get to Roeth and missed each one.

All of that in a blender and you get beat 36-10. I don't know what changes it. I keep thinking it can't keep happening, and it keeps happening.

I still think we beat them in December.

1 hour ago, TJJackson said:

The bias by the refs whenever we play the Rapistburgers is beyond obvious year after year after year.  We're going to have to play twice as well as them to ever overcome that disadvantage and win, and right now, we're now here close to playing that well

After he left New Guy in when it was obvious the game was a blowout, Taylor is now hated by me.  He can leave town now for all I care.  I understand the losses, but leaving New Guy in to get injured is a fire-able offense imo

I don't disagree with any of that. That said, Burrow was adamant that he stay in and not abandon his teammates. I really respect that. Taylor should have over-ruled him, but, I do respect what Burrow is about.

2 hours ago, AMPHAR said:

I love how the Steelers hold guys up and strip at the ball.   The very second your team does the same.....whistle blew.

There was probably a handful of times progress had been stopped by a Bengal ball carrier and they strip at it.   If the ball would have come out, I"m sure there wouldn't be any whistle.   Crazy how fast the whistle is on the opposite side.

Then it's been all season Burrow simply isn't protected by the Refs AND Zac Taylor needs to start bitching about it game week and post game.  Even if he has to take a couple fines.

There's been several late hits not called on Burrow. 

Holding simply isn't called on the Steelers o-line either.

Keep in mind this is not to say the Bengals could have or should have won.  No they are a better team AND OUR defenders have a chance to intercept balls or sack a QB and they don't.   Just annoying on top of the loss.

I could not like this post more. All of this. Every part of it. Preach.

Yeah they didn't get any calls, but they still lost 36-10 and would've lost either way, not gonna stop Ben and those Pitt WR's with practice squad players and a patchwork 0-line full of flunkies and UFA's.

Most concerning was Taylor leaving Burrow in there with a gimpy leg, and the fact Burrow couldn't seem to hit anybody after the 1st quarter (everything was high).  Wear and tear, wear and tear...unnecessary at this point, save it for next season.  

AJ looked uninterested again at times, weak and slow most of the rest.  Not sure why they keep trying to force the ball to him, you have better guys out there, he wasn't open all day.

Kicking that FG was amateur HC stuff.

The Bengals' aren't even in the same league with the Ravens/Steelers.  Inching-up closer and closer to top 5 draft pick territory again.  

You got to play Burrow.   You just can't stick him in a glass bottle and slap a Pappy 23 year old label on him when he's Jim Beam white label.

He was able to move and wasn't a sitting duck.       He's got to see defenses that are dropping the max into zone coverage because the Bengals currently can't/won't hold teams accountable for dropping so many with the run game.

I'd have to say that's my biggest complaint of Taylor.   Games like the Ravens/Steelers you aren't going to beat them going empty backfield etc.  In fact you are playing into their hands because they create big plays via the rush and turn overs.    They are actually soft against the run (both teams).  However,  I think our line lacks the ability to consistently gain 4 yards per against a 5 or 6 man front.   Pitiful really. 

1 hour ago, TJJackson said:

Remember how both Marvin and Melvin could never win games following byes? And generally weren't even competitive in those games?

Good times

Did they ever have to play one of those games down

T 1, T2, T3, RB1, DT 1, CB2, CB3, CB4, CB5 and four position coaches while not having regular practices due to a global pandemic?

not sure this is apples to apples...

From PFF_Bengals on Twitter:

Quote:#Bengals OL grades vs PIT:

Trey Hopkins: 72.8
Hakeem Adeniji: 60.0
Quinton Spain: 58.7
Alex Redmond: 52.9
Michael Jordan: 49.0

Stole this off another board.

I honestly didn’t think the Steeler’s rush was that effective.  A couple of the sacks were coverage, IMO.

Positive sign for Adeniji.  Not sure why Jordan can’t grade out higher?   I don’t notice him much in a negative way while watching. 

• Like 1

Burrow's average QB rating vs Pitt and Baltimore = 71.2

He was sacked 11 times in those 2 games, threw 3 of his 5 season total of INT's.

Total # of points scored in those 2 games: 13

Total # of points given up in those 2 games:  63

Beat in every facet of the game, soundly.  

Defense hasn't given up less than 25 points to any team other than the Chargers in week one.

Can't stop 'em on defense, can't block 'em on offense.  Not a good winning formula.

On 11/16/2020 at 2:33 PM, TJJackson said:

Remember how both Marvin and Melvin could never win games following byes? And generally weren't even competitive in those games?

Good times

Yeah,  Lance Mcallister was trying to make a similar point.   I think that's being intentionally obtuse.    Sure it's nice to be hopeful but Vegas had them as big under dog and when you are down your top 3 tackles, Mixon and whatever defenders against the best record wise team in the NFL ON THE ROAD.....nah not a similar situation at all.

I think that might be the first time this season they didn't cover the spread.   So if you aren't willing to give them credit on your radio show or message board posts WHEN they cover while losing close then I think it shows a little slanted agenda, IMO.