Jump to content
Sign in to follow this  
HoosierCat

Titans @ Bengals Game Thread

Recommended Posts

Lou’s last game? Zac’s? Assuming they aren’t fired this week (and I doubt it) another L before the bye would be the time...

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Naw, we'll lose a surprisingly defensive game by one score and they'll keep Lou.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 minutes ago, Stripes said:

Naw, we'll lose a surprisingly defensive game by one score and they'll keep Lou.

Just our luck.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Jesus Christ, why would they let ZT go? His ONE job his year was developing Burrow. That is fucking happening. And the offense is cranking. I get that all is shit generally, but what in the world would firing ZT at this point accomplish?

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Seems to be a split in the locker room...maybe offense/defense related.   Seems like guys no longer want to play for Lou,  young guys aren't stepping-up or developing either on that side of things,  their morale has to be at rock-bottom. Fix your staff Zac.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Looks like the offense/defense split is real.  The guys complaining are mostly on D.  They should tackle someone first, then complain.  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Here's the voice in that locker-room that matters:

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, membengal said:

Here's the voice in that locker-room that matters:

 

Also the most obvious difference between this team and anything we saw in the '90s apart from maybe half the 1997 season with Boomer. This team has a good quarterback that is only getting better every week. As long as that remains true there is cause for optimism. I really hope those linemen hurt today aren't gone a while.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Game plan vs the Titans - take the opening drive down deep into Titans territory, have Gio or whoever fall down on the 1 yard line (as we all wish he had today), then use a combination of timeouts, two minute warnings, fake injuries, and kneel down plays to run the clock down to 30 seconds left in the game.  Call timeout, score or kick a field goal, easy win.  If we fail to score, we’re off to overtime but with a fresh (unused) defense.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
20 minutes ago, ShulaSteakhouse said:

Seems to be a split in the locker room...maybe offense/defense related.   Seems like guys no longer want to play for Lou,  young guys aren't stepping-up or developing either on that side of things,  their morale has to be at rock-bottom. Fix your staff Zac.

 

Ok so if the team is split then they need to find the guys who are on board with Taylor’s coaching and those who are not. Those who are not need to be traded or cut, it’s not fair to those who are giving 100 percent.

Dunlap and Atkins had a chance to do something big at the end of the game, but all they are thinking about is themselves not the team, and that’s not fair.

To be honest I have no idea what to think anymore, is Taylor a good coach or is he not. Has he lost the team or has he not, seems like some are really into him while others are not. 
 

Time to figure things out now though, get picks and start building this team. If the plan is to keep Taylor then let him start to build and get rid of guys now, if not then move on. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Never thought anything could make me hate the Tampa Bay Buccaneers, but as usual Tom Brady defies the odds and gets the job done.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, membengal said:

Jesus Christ, why would they let ZT go? His ONE job his year was developing Burrow. That is fucking happening. And the offense is cranking. I get that all is shit generally, but what in the world would firing ZT at this point accomplish?

It MIGHT accomplish a winning culture.

And it CERTAINLY would accomplish a smile on my face, a spring in my step, and a song in my heart. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, membengal said:

Jesus Christ, why would they let ZT go? His ONE job his year was developing Burrow. That is fucking happening. And the offense is cranking. I get that all is shit generally, but what in the world would firing ZT at this point accomplish?

No.

The job of the head coach is not “develop the quarterback.” It’s just not. That’s not an opinion. That’s a fact.

The QB coach’s job is develop the quarterback.

Zac’s job is to win games. He isn’t doing it. It’s not all his fault, but it’s a bottom line business. No W’s, no job.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
51 minutes ago, COB said:

Game plan vs the Titans - take the opening drive down deep into Titans territory, have Gio or whoever fall down on the 1 yard line (as we all wish he had today), then use a combination of timeouts, two minute warnings, fake injuries, and kneel down plays to run the clock down to 30 seconds left in the game.  Call timeout, score or kick a field goal, easy win.  If we fail to score, we’re off to overtime but with a fresh (unused) defense.

Funny.  I was wishing today Gio was ruled down after getting the first but no TD.  So they could run another few seconds off. 
 

That defense is pitiful. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 minutes ago, HoosierCat said:

No.

The job of the head coach is not “develop the quarterback.” It’s just not. That’s not an opinion. That’s a fact.

The QB coach’s job is develop the quarterback.

Zac’s job is to win games. He isn’t doing it. It’s not all his daily, but it’s a bottom line business. No W’s, no job.

Disagree.  They keep scoring at this rate and are competitive like this the rest of the season it’d be dumb to fire Zac, imo.

Let the season play out. 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
44 minutes ago, AMPHAR said:

Disagree.  They keep scoring at this rate and are competitive like this the rest of the season it’d be dumb to fire Zac, imo.

Let the season play out. 

 

You can do all that but it doesn’t change the bottom line. Zac wasn’t hired to score or be competitive. He was hired to win.

Why did Marvin get fired? He didn’t win, right? Couldn’t win the big games, couldn’t win in prime time, couldn’t win in the playoffs,.

Zac doesn’t win, Zac doesn’t have a job. Is it fair? No. But it’s how it works.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

At least Marvin brought a winning culture here, it was not always pretty, but they somehow learned how to win. They had vet leaders in that locker room to control any issues, he hired great assistant coaches that helped players. Sure he never got over that hump, but for years I was so excited to watch football on Sundays, now some days it’s hard to even care.

Zac needs to find a way to bring winning football back, whether that is to rid of these cancer guys or whatever. He has a locker room that is so divided right now guys are taking sides, the locker room is lost! They need a Whitworth in there to shut everyone up and sit them down and tell them what’s up. They need guys like Mike Zimmer and Hue Jackson assisting in his coaching, there is not enough vet coaches in my opinion. Just make watching football fun again please whether that is with Zac or with someone else.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
43 minutes ago, HoosierCat said:

You can do all that but it doesn’t change the bottom line. Zac wasn’t hired to score or be competitive. He was hired to win.

Why did Marvin get fired? He didn’t win, right? Couldn’t win the big games, couldn’t win in prime time, couldn’t win in the playoffs,.

Zac doesn’t win, Zac doesn’t have a job. Is it fair? No. But it’s how it works.

  Marvin didn't win more than he loss until year 3 and started with a more talent.     Marvin didn't have a good defense (his strength) well until his 6th year when Zimmer was hired.   Was Zimmer his 3rd D Coordinator? 

Zac is delivering on his expertise despite a major disadvantage up front and that situation was surfacing in 2014 well before anyone knew who Zac Taylor was.

I say let the season play out but the more 30 point games the offense throws up the more impressive Zac looks, IMO.

   If he's getting production out of Burrow it would be foolish to pull the plug on that, IMO. 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Going to have to get rid of Carlos Dunlap.  He’s doing everything he can to become “that guy,” and arguing with coaches on the sideline and listing his house for sale on IG today probably sealed it.  Loved that dude, but it’s over.  Goodbye.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
14 minutes ago, AMPHAR said:

  Marvin didn't win more than he loss until year 3 and started with a more talent.     Marvin didn't have a good defense (his strength) well until his 6th year when Zimmer was hired. 

Zac is delivering on his expertise despite a major disadvantage up front and that situation was surfacing in 2014 well before anyone knew who Zac Taylor was.

I say let the season play out but the more 30 point games the offense throws up the more impressive Zac looks, IMO.

   If he's getting production out of Burrow it would be foolish to pull the plug on that, IMO. 

 

Anyone would get production out of Burrow. That was the whole point of drafting him. But again, that’s not Zac’s job his job is to win games. If he’s not, he’s gone. That’s how it works.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, HoosierCat said:

If he’s not, he’s gone. That’s how it works.

Ha ha!  Well, that’s how it works in some places.  I’d like to introduce you to the very elderly gentleman wearing two different color socks driving his Buick on 275 with his blinker permanently on, he does things his way.  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

ZT has created the cancer in the locker room. The defensive guys who are so unhappy are also the ones who were in 7-9 and 6-10 teams the last two years Marvin was here ....now they are part of a team that is 2-14 and 1-5-1 (so far) so I guess it's fair to say that they ain't happy being part of a losing culture, the losing culture that ZT has manifested. Some of those guys were going to the Pro Bowl while ZT was still sucking on his mums tits - he's out of his depth, he's out of ideas, he's running out of time, and he should be run out of town.

 

Titans 31-24 Bengals 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
9 hours ago, HoosierCat said:

Anyone would get production out of Burrow. That was the whole point of drafting him. But again, that’s not Zac’s job his job is to win games. If he’s not, he’s gone. That’s how it works.

That is a risky assumption.    Lewis/Brat and Palmer were aided by a large number of turnovers in 2004 and 2005.    The 2018 Bengals had several defensive scores.    

It's been a while since we've seen this level of scoring from the offense.  Probably since 2015 with Dalton and Hue. Zac/Burrow  Doing it WITHOUT special teams and defensive scores. 

What you are suggesting isn't how it works at all.   That's actually the exception to the rule and knee jerk reaction that rarely produces anything better.

I can't think of a franchise that drafts a QB No. 1 overall; then fires the head coach with in the first year or after the first year with that QB.   If there is a franchise,  I'm guessing it's the Cleveland Browns or Arizona Cardinals.  That isn't a model of success at all.

The defense can't get a critical stop and we are going to fire the Offensive Head Coach when his rookie is rocketing to the top of good QB lists?

If this continues for the rest of the season, I couldn't think of a more counter productive move.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

Sign in to follow this  

×