Titans @ Bengals Game Thread

HoosierCat

Solid win. Obvious props to Burrow and the whole offense, especially the line. Teams kicked in with a big return at a key point. Defense was...well, still nothing to write home about but they made a few big plays and forced a couple punts and thanks to the offense that was enough. Good time for the bye to heal up.

7 minutes ago, Stripes said:

Zero sacks on Burrow.

One tackle for loss on Bernard.

Really just marvelous stuff from a line they had to scrape together.

It probably worth remembering that Tenn had like seven sacks on the year coming in, so they aren’t the best test, but yeah, you would still have expected a scratch line like this to fare worse. Turner is getting a lot of praise but like I said earlier I’m not sure how much of a testament it is that a throw-together squad can do at least as well as the guys he’s been coaching for months/years.

I’m not really sure Zac should be fired I’m seeing the offense starting to really click, and if they can find an o-line with the guys here that’s even better. However they need to win games, they need to find a way to win the close games. Today was a start against a good team and was happy to see it. 

I will say I want the defense coordinator fired though! There are way to many good coaches out there that really could help, can’t stand watching this guys defense. I have never seen guys so wide open 10 yards down the field, it’s so sick watching them. They need a change on that side of the ball.

Second half schedule:

at Pittsburgh
at Washington
New York Giants
at Miami
Dallas
Pittsburgh
at Houston
Baltimore

Play it conservative and call 0-3 in the division games. The other five are all winnable, with three against the abysmal NFC East, the 1-6 Texans, and the 4-3 Dolphins.

A 6-9-1 finish (4-4 in the above games) strikes me as entirely reasonable here. That wouldn't be glamorous or net a top five draft pick, but I think getting wins is more important than that right now. Find a way to take one against Baltimore or Pittsburgh, and suddenly that "change the culture" message has a little more power.

The “winning is the only thing” crowd is simply wrong about wanting ZT fired. 

No competent organization is going to fire a HC that has Burrow playing this well in his first season. 

It’s just dumb and Tony Pike and Mo Egger are a bunch of idiots for taking that stance. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, HoosierCat said:

It probably worth remembering that Tenn had like seven sacks on the year coming in, so they aren’t the best test, but yeah, you would still have expected a scratch line like this to fare worse. Turner is getting a lot of praise but like I said earlier I’m not sure how much of a testament it is that a throw-together squad can do at least as well as the guys he’s been coaching for months/years.

Yeah and the Bengals got the ball out quick but still a marvelous performance and hopefully this signals some the younger players can actually be starters. 

Rauch

The #Bengals are 4-5-1 in Zac Taylor's last 10 games as a head coach.

4 of the 5 losses were by an average of 3.75 points.

Also, re: o-line - it's not like Jonah Williams should lose his job to Adeniji, I assume no one here is saying that. I do think you have to find a spot for Spain. RG? I know LG is his home but would they sit Jordan? Johnson at RT going forward? I am listening. I think he was good again today. Should Price get the job over Hopkins? Seems like a stretch given how much they like Hopkins, but good on Price for a great game. 

23 minutes ago, AMPHAR said:

Yeah and the Bengals got the ball out quick but still a marvelous performance and hopefully this signals some the younger players can actually be starters. 

Fwiw pff had this about Adenjii:

Hakeem Adeniji, a sixth-round pick filling in for Jonah Williams at left tackle, was responsible for more total pressures than any Bengals offensive lineman in Week 8. Adeniji gave up three hurries on 38 pass-block snaps, which, granted, could have been worse, but it wasn’t anything great or on the level of Williams.

Damn, what a game, what a win.  So great to be able to just sit and watch your team play a great game and win.  Most people probably take that for granted, but you all know we don’t.  I ate two ham sandwiches during the game then hammered down a bowl of Lucky Charms to celebrate the win.  

• Like 2

Holy sheep dip

I've been ill of late (nothing serious, just annoying) and slept through this game.  I missed what is likely THE signature game of 2020. 

damnit.

anyway, on the question of locker room solidarity or lack thereof.......I present the following

https://www.bengals.com/video/postgame-celebration-after-week-8-win-over-the-titans

which tells me things are not as doom and gloom as some claim....not even close

...so...

I (like every other nfl fan on the planet) am enamored of New Guy.  Without him, we arent even in these close losses, and are probably 0-8 and mostly blown out.  I get that, so I wont talk about him being a new man crush, because how could you be a Bengals fan and not absolutely freakin' L O V E this man? 

and thats not even including out-of-this-world freakish stuff like this:

and I think Jeremy Rauch summarizes things well here (except: trade Ross, not Tate):

https://twitter.com/FOX19Jeremy/status/1323027132285652997?ref_src=twsrc^tfw

so, I want to speak of my new (and as always to keep this clear, perfectly heterosexual) man-crushes in no particular order of importance

1. Spain.  OH MY GOD.   Not even a single practice snap nor time with his teammates as he completed the necessary quarantine time, and he looked like a freakin pro bowler.    I watched a lot of game film and he is just high fivin' and having a great time with his new teammates between plays, bring up everyone's energy level.  I love love LOVE this (GIMME A) LINEMAN

Fucking SIGN HIM NOW.  Practice squad my ass. I want him signed N O W if not sooner.  There should have been a contract waiting for him to sign in the locker room right after the game

2. Higgins.  A great deal of Burrows success is because Higgins is producing bigtime.  Without Higgins, honestly, is Burrows fully the amazing QB we are seeing?  Yeah, other receivers not named Ross are contributing as well, but I wasnt expecting this 2nd rounder to contribute so much so soon.  I dont think you were either.

3. Adenji and Johnson.  They faced pro bowl defensive ends having started exactly 0 times before at their respective spots. They allowed no sacks.  Was it always pretty? Heck no.  Was it perfect?  Absolutely not - earlier in this thread it is mentioned how Adenji allowed the most pressures of any Bengals OL this week.  Of course, that PFF item fails to qualify this statement with the fact that this was his first start ever _AND_ he's a rookie _AND_ he allowed no sacks _AND_ while facing a pro bowl DE.  I will bet he will get a rating no better than 50 from PFF this week but regardless his performance under the circumstances I see that as nothing short of incredible.  I've already talked up Fred Johnson many many times, so I wont go into detail on his 0 sack work on his very first start ever at ORT

4. Auden Tate.  Ok, he's not all that new, but its like he gets forgotten for weeks at a time, then he goes and has a game like this and its like he's brand new all over again.......like who the hell is this guy?  Take a look at this: https://www.nfl.com/videos/6-foot-5-tate-extends-for-unbelievable-sideline-snag-on-third-down  Auden should be a priority for an extension asap, using some of that cash the Dunlap trade freed up.

so why oh why, you ask with good reason, isnt Billy Price on this list?   Its because I've seen too many disappointments from this guy.  He has as Black Widow once said 'too much red on his ledger".  This game doesnt erase all that red, not even close, but its a mighty fine start towards getting back in the black

and a question - where the hell is Josh Bynes?  I know I have no way to measure his impact on getting the three rookies + Pratt up to speed, but it's like he's invisible on the field.  Also his snap count seems to be on a downward curve..

related question: how are the four (I count Pratt) newbie linebackers doing, especially in coverage?  I cant seem to get a handle on that

Finally: throwing some love (and a virtual game ball) towards Stripes this week for going the extra mile for this win.  question: do you need any incense or goat heads or whatever for 2 weeks from now?  If so, lets get a gofundme going.

18 hours ago, Stripes said:

I am performing a voodoo ritual to hex the Titans defensive line and give Burrow a chance to survive.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2