Bengals @ Ravens Game Thread

Stripes

2 minutes ago, volcom69 said:

I love it how all commentators continue to say changing culture, didn’t they do that when Marvin was here? Zac somehow came in and made it worse. If anything I want to change the culture of this Zac Taylor team! At this time Marvin has been the better coach, I’m not sure Zac even knows what he is doing. 

Yeah the whole culture thing is overblown. You know what  changes the culture? Good players, good coaches and good personnel management. It’s not that complicated. 

15 minutes ago, AMPHAR said:

Marvin and Tobin left the cupboard bare. 

Marvin had a much better roster in 2003. Much better. 

But that doesn’t mean they got the coaching hire right either. 

What a mess.   

Your right, I’m just not sure they have the people here to actually rebuild this team around Burrow the right way. Sucks for us fans to have to sit through this crap, knowing they have a QB that could get things done if they actually built the team around him!

• Like 1

Zac was never really considered a very good offensive coordinator . all I've read about him was he was below average at best. Wasn't good at UC even worse at Miami .  Zac was not  highly regarded in anyway. Was basically an assistants assistant.  Coffee boy for the rams. Yet our owner knew. He could get Zac for basically nothing. Zac staff was full of fringe coaches. No other teams wanted. The only good thing Zac has done. Was suck so bad we got Burrow from it. As for culture. Zac is not changing any thing. Straight bullshit for Rich to even suggest that! Zac is clearly in over his head. I can't see it improving. Regression is all that is happening.  I'm going with Taylor tool & woodshed.  Its full of tools and we keep getting our rear ends kicked behind it 

1 hour ago, volcom69 said:

Your right, I’m just not sure they have the people here to actually rebuild this team around Burrow the right way. Sucks for us fans to have to sit through this crap, knowing they have a QB that could get things done if they actually built the team around him!

They certainly have struggled with Building the line. 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, AMPHAR said:

They have to acquire more picks.

Burrow is certainly a great pick, but we are seeing the after math of staying put. 

They simply have guys starting On that line  that might be street FAs or IF signed by another team get back up spots.  Maybe 4 of the 5 spots. 

Yup. This was the trade down argument last April. Not saying staying put was wrong but this is the consequence.

The first quarter yesterday IS the biggest red flag for those that want to believe in Zach Taylor.   I"m not saying he's ruining a playoff team because Tobin has saddled him with scrubs along the offense line, but....

Against SD Zach called a game like he thought he had to score 60 when in reality he had a small lead or faced a small deficit.   Yet he's calling pass after pass,  lining up 4/5 wide.    Letting his QB get hit countless times.

Yesterday we open up with an RPO first down throw and catch by Sample for a first down.   Then a 5 yard carry by Mixon.  2nd and 5.   Zach decides to throw.   Incomplete.  Then you are forced to throw on 3rd and 5.   SACK.    Dumb.

Then down 0-10 end of the first quarter.   He throws 3 times in a row resulting in an INT.  Just the worst game management, I've seen in a long time.   Keep in mind we had Marvin Lewis for a long time.

Zach is just going to have to learn that his line can't pass protect for 1.5 seconds against a good D-line.   Thus you should avoid 3 and 5 or longer at all cost.    If you face them early in the game then play for a punt.   

He's running 4/5 wide or a lot of play action that had Burrow turning his back on the rush for a second.    You must adopt under the center run Mixon up the middle AND the Andy Dalton shotgun chuck and duck.

Probably not going to be a great offense but at least it save the franchise QB hits.   

For the record!  Addressing a lot of message board scuttle butt and sports talk show hot takes regarding AJ Green lip reading and quitting based on him running off on the Int.

Once again IF you are in the business of producing hot takes - YOU NEED THE ALL 22!   

The lip reading - I have no idea.  I don't see it personally.    Him quitting on the tackle during the INT - THAT IS NOT TRUE.    As I expected when I first saw the small TV clip AJ Green wasn't running away.   He was getting a pursuit angle. 

I caught the all 22 in a review of pass pro at Cincy Jungle.   Confirmed this is what AJ was doing.   He had no shot a making the tackle going straight for the Interceptor.   His only chance was to dart up field and cut him off and in the ALL 22 you see exactly that and AJ looking over trying to estimate their cross point.

Radio show hosts and twitter are crap.   TV viewpoints are not reality.   Lots of depth lost.

From my rewatches I don’t think he even “quit” on the route. He was actually open but Burrow was inches away from an avalanche and just launched it.

That said, do I think it’s possible that AJ is less than gruntled? It would not surprise me. We know Tate is, we know Dunlap is, so I wouldn’t rule it out.

Right now it feels to me like there’s no hand on the wheel. This is where it helps to have a strong GM/front office that can throw its weight behind the new HC and isn’t afraid to trade or straight-up cut vets left over from the old regime, even if it pisses off fans. I think that will happen now but not until after the season. AJ and Dunlap are gone. Tate probably. Geno maybe. Lawson and WJ3???? They need FA cash and picks to rebuild so trading would be good but again that would require a good front office, so...

The core of the "discontented" are the vets left over from the Marvin years. Probably time to move on from them. Was last year at the deadline too. But we know that Tobin et al apparently see dealing as a one-way street. I am still puzzled over the "we are not in the business of improving other teams" quote given that the Bengals would be getting assets in return, but, hey, whatevs, Duke. 

• Like 1