Mixon Extended

HoosierCat

3 hours ago, COB said:

There is no way his agent can justify that cap number.  

I read an advanced metric (something like expected yardage after first contact) that had Mixon near the bottom of starting running backs.  

He’s still a starter, the Buffalo game showed it.  If the team approaches his agent with a request to redo that deal, they’d be justified in doing so.  

But his agent will want a couple years added to be willing to take a reduction.  

I think a lot of teams would play hardball and say just take a salary reduction or we cut you.  I don’t see the Bengals doing that.

they'll be letting people go regardless - cant pay everyone

first to go will be folks whose contracts vastly exceed their productivity level, and Mixon is high on that list - perhaps the highest

It isnt a case of playing contract chicken with Mixon - the numbers say let him walk

Mixon and his agent I am sure know that but of course wont be openly admitting it

so it comes down to whether Mixon truly wants to finish his career here, which means he knows he'll need to take less.  The other option is to become a cap cut, in which case he'll be making less elsewhere.....no one will be signing him for 10+M/year

One other option is to quietly hope the loyalty-valuing Brown family will simply let him play out his overvalued contract.  Its happened before

If I had good money to bet, I'd put it on that final option, which of course carries the cap cut risk.  I think that risk is bigger in the Duke Tobin era where big money is coming due for top performers

Why are so many Bengal fan eager to help some other team out with their RB problem?   A whole bunch of fans are focused on Mixon's cap hit.  Why would you cut a productive player and create a hole then gift another team an opportunity to fill a hole, before the draft?  Does not make sense.   They are $44m under they can sign/extend anyone they want when FA opens.  

I am happy for Joe personally that this turned out to be a mistaken charge.  Better that it not come up at all, but life is unfair like that sometimes

He came to us with a lot of baggage but he has been a very solid citizen in his time here.  I respect and appreciate that

That said, both Mixon and Boyd are playing on contracts that to me exceed their actual value provided

I have love for both, especially Boyd, but with large contracts due and more coming due I wont be surprised if either or both are released

I'd prefer in both cases that they simply come to recognize that they are both on the downside of their career and that they should play for less money, but I know this very rarely happens. 

Performance goes down but the players keep demanding more money, and when they cant get more money from their current team they end up taking less elsewhere.  Sad but true, see it over and over and over again

Hopefully one of these two will be the exception to that, as I'd love to have Boyd stay as WR3 at a WR3 price, and Mixon stay as a backup running back at a backup running back price 

But no, I dont see either happening

I'm honestly a bit torn on Mixon and think there are many thing to consider with him.
Has he lost a step? Is he worth 12 million?  Why are they not playing him more? (See 35% of snap in AFCCG)
The team can save 7 million in releasing him, but not sure that's the best course at this point.

Boyd?  It's the last year of his 4 year deal and until 2022 has never made more than 10 million in a season.
That dude is just a pro and seemingly makes plays whenever they call his number.  I don't want him going anywhere any sooner than necessary.
He's just now 28 and I wouldn't mind seeing them extending him at least a couple more years honestly, but that has gotten costly.

Last time I looked at market values, Chase is around 25 million, Higgins is around 20 million and Boyd around 15 million.
OUCH !!

41 minutes ago, ArmyBengal said:

I'm honestly a bit torn on Mixon and think there are many thing to consider with him.
Has he lost a step? Is he worth 12 million?  Why are they not playing him more? (See 35% of snap in AFCCG)
The team can save 7 million in releasing him, but not sure that's the best course at this point.

Boyd?  It's the last year of his 4 year deal and until 2022 has never made more than 10 million in a season.
That dude is just a pro and seemingly makes plays whenever they call his number.  I don't want him going anywhere any sooner than necessary.
He's just now 28 and I wouldn't mind seeing them extending him at least a couple more years honestly, but that has gotten costly.

Last time I looked at market values, Chase is around 25 million, Higgins is around 20 million and Boyd around 15 million.
OUCH !!

There's not much to consider with Mixon until you have a replacement or need his cap dollars.   At this point neither is an issue.

I would say the goal for 2023 season would be to return everyone off that offense.    If they grab an upgrade via the draft/FA then there is something to consider.

3 hours ago, AMPHAR said:

Why are so many Bengal fan eager to help some other team out with their RB problem?   A whole bunch of fans are focused on Mixon's cap hit.  Why would you cut a productive player and create a hole then gift another team an opportunity to fill a hole, before the draft?  Does not make sense.   They are $44m under they can sign/extend anyone they want when FA opens.  

Highlighted the key term of contention

• Like 1

To start, I really don't care that much at this point.  If they bring Mixon back (which I expect) I won't be upset.
If they cut Mixon in a cap savings move, I won't be upset.

I suppose it depends on how people want to define "productive" and Mixon's inconsistency makes that a bit challenging.
Are we talking about 2021 production where Mixon ran for 13 TD's and added another 3 receiving ??
Or are we talking about his other 5 seasons where he averaged 5 rushing TD's and another 1 receiving ??
It's things like that which could be causing people to wonder if the team should consider taking the 7 million in cap savings and try to find an upgrade.
Again, I don't care all that much, but would like to see a dynamic RB added in the draft no matter what they do with him.

5 minutes ago, ArmyBengal said:

To start, I really don't care that much at this point.  If they bring Mixon back (which I expect) I won't be upset.
If they cut Mixon in a cap savings move, I won't be upset.

I suppose it depends on how people want to define "productive" and Mixon's inconsistency makes that a bit challenging.
Are we talking about 2021 production where Mixon ran for 13 TD's and added another 3 receiving ??
Or are we talking about his other 5 seasons where he averaged 5 rushing TD's and another 1 receiving ??
It's things like that which could be causing people to wonder if the team should consider taking the 7 million in cap savings and try to find an upgrade.
Again, I don't care all that much, but would like to see a dynamic RB added in the draft no matter what they do with him.

it was established opposing teams play a shit load of Cover 2 vs. Burrow/Chase.    Mixon can catch and get YAC.   That's all I need right now.

Any individual player with this surrounding cast is going to have their individual numbers shaved.     To think Mixon could not go to a run oriented offense and churn out better numbers is crazy talk.

There would be a nice market for Mixon if they cut him.  

The litmus test is to picture him in Baltimore.    I would not want to see that.    Same with any talk about cutting Boyd.      Any offseason talk about cutting this "player" to save this "number" is a waste of time.  The Bengals have built up a strategic advantage with their cap room there's no need to consider any of it until they absolutely need the cap room or have successfully replaced the player  being $44m under they aren't going to up against the cap until summer, if that.

1 hour ago, AMPHAR said:

Sure.   I'm sure there wouldn't be a bit of hesitation sending him to the Ravens?    A run oriented team with a better oline.

That truly would not concern me. I appreciate what Mixon has provided here, but he is showing signs of the usual short RB shelf life, as we all kind of expected, and it'd be a good time for fresh legs anyway. If I felt that the RB position is hard to replace I might be less nonchalant about it all, but I tend to believe that it's the single most disposable position among the starting 22.

Now I'll grant that I wasn't thinking about it at all until the "warrant for an arrest" appeared on my screen. But I don't consider Mixon an essential piece.

• Like 2

51 minutes ago, AMPHAR said:

it was established opposing teams play a shit load of Cover 2 vs. Burrow/Chase.    Mixon can catch and get YAC.   That's all I need right now.

Any individual player with this surrounding cast is going to have their individual numbers shaved.     To think Mixon could not go to a run oriented offense and churn out better numbers is crazy talk.

There would be a nice market for Mixon if they cut him.  

The litmus test is to picture him in Baltimore.    I would not want to see that.    Same with any talk about cutting Boyd.      Any offseason talk about cutting this "player" to save this "number" is a waste of time.  The Bengals have built up a strategic advantage with their cap room there's no need to consider any of it until they absolutely need the cap room or have successfully replaced the player  being $44m under they aren't going to up against the cap until summer, if that.

- Yes, Mixon can catch and averages about 20 ypg, while producing 10 TD's over 6 seasons.  Nothing special there.
- No doubt the o-line hasn't helped him. I've never made any claim about him going elsewhere and not having better numbers.  Not sure why that was brought up.  He very well may though.
- I don't care what the market would be for Mixon if he's not a Bengal.  I would simply move on like any other player released.
- I don't want any Bengal in Baltimore, because I fucking hate Baltimore.  If he would do better there (which he may) than good for them.  I just don't care.  He won't be carrying that team.
- It's not a waste of time when you have the caliber of players the Bengals do and the cap numbers become restrictive to fielding a competitive team.
- It cannot be forgotten that a big reason they have so much space is due to all the expired contracts.  It's not like they have 40 million with Bates, Bell, Pratt, Perrine and others under contract.
  Those players need to be replaced AND still have to pay Burrow and others in the near future.  Sometimes I think people overlook that aspect of how much space the team really has.

• Like 2

18 hours ago, Stripes said:

That truly would not concern me. I appreciate what Mixon has provided here, but he is showing signs of the usual short RB shelf life, as we all kind of expected, and it'd be a good time for fresh legs anyway. If I felt that the RB position is hard to replace I might be less nonchalant about it all, but I tend to believe that it's the single most disposable position among the starting 22.

Now I'll grant that I wasn't thinking about it at all until the "warrant for an arrest" appeared on my screen. But I don't consider Mixon an essential piece.

OK.