Chargers @ Bengals Game Thread

HoosierCat

That call on AJ was pure BS so all the holding from tge  db is legal.?   more proof the NFL has a agenda against the Bengals. They have Every since the  burfict playoff game. Every single year they lose a game or two because of shit like that call. Then of Zac don't cut fat Randy. Shows he is a piss poor coach. 

Just better hope Burrow can make the Bengals a league darling. Like Brady, Big Ben, or Rogers. If not they will continue to come up short on close games the refs dictate the outcome. Just like today. Had that been one of the favored teams. There is no way that call is ever made.  A shitty way to lose a game on a bs call. 

16 minutes ago, Stripes said:

I don't think the OPI call was incorrect at all. It's unfortunate, but so it goes. On to Cleveland.

As a crew the refs allowed Mike Willams to do it all game. An again had that been a team that had any of the NFL darling QB's... Rogers, Brady etc.  that would never been called. Seen it time and time again. Its sad favoritism dictates wins. That is what upsets me the most. Every year we lose a game because the are the lowly disrespected Bengals. 

FYI - not a surprise that TOs were burned in the second half with a rookie making his  first start in those circumstances (the lack of any off-season or pre-season game snaps)...

As for the game, that was his first ever live NFL snaps. No rookie mini camp. No OTAs. No real training camp. No pre-season games. And drew a vicious top 10 NFL defense with a top 5 defensive line for his first snaps, and at no point did he look overwhelmed, lost, or that the moments were too big for him. He made mistakes, and he made plays, but there was nothing there to be down about. He is CLEARLY what we thought he was. We can win games with him, and, eventually, a lot of games.

Hell, the team even made adjustments in the second half and blocked better.

I am encouraged, but then again, I wasn't expecting the playoff this year, but nothing there makes me think 7 wins is out of reach for this year, which is where I am guessing they will end up.

And the defense was damn good. They can actually tackle again. And cover. Hell, we had actualy NFL linebackers. I almost cried.

Burrow gave himself a "D" by the way. Took the blame away from Bullock. Took the blame away from Ross. He's an absolute leader. We're finally going to be fine.

I’m not sure how much we really learned about the defense today. The Chargers offense is pretty bad, and while it’s encouraging that they mostly kept it in check, I’m reserving judgement until they show they can do it against a team with, y’know like an actual nfl QB ‘n’ stuff. Individually I did like the effort and intensity, and WJ3, Bates and Hubbard all stood out.

The offense was about what I expected. The line was as bad as we all thought it would be, though it’s probably worth noting that the Chargers have a pretty decent dline, so that didn’t help. Hart was even more horrible than predicted. Is Dennis Roland still in the league? Playcalling was weird. Seemed like they didn’t get key guys like Boyd and Green involved until the second half. Uzomah too. Feed the talent, Zac.

As for Burrow, there was good, there was bad and there was ugly. In other words, he looked like a talented but inexperienced QB. Which he is. He’ll get better. 

They tackled, Hoosier. That was a marked departure. Bynes and Pratt are legit NFL linebackers. They didn't get killed on passes to Ekeler. They did get hurt on one big throw to a TE, but even that was better. Reader in the middle made a huge difference. When he cramped up and had to leave was about the only time in the game the Chargers could run the ball effectively. 

Read that Burrow audibled into the keeper play for a TD himself.   I'd like to see him geting hit a lot less.  His play-action was effective in the 2nd half when Mixon opened it up some for him.  Obviously needs a lot more reps with the WR's.  Hit 5 different targets on the final drive (not including AJ's no-TD catch).