Farewell Andy Dalton

Stripes

6 hours ago, HoosierCat said:

A small postscript to the Dalton era: you will all recall, I’m sure, how the Bengals were pilloried back in 2014 for signing Andy to a $96.6 million extension. In 9 years with the team, he ended up making (including his rookie deal) $83.5 million, an average of about $9.3 million annually.

Based on Kyler Murray’s deal last year, Burrow will sign for something like 4 years and $36 million. Or about the same annual average as Dalton.

In the end, that extension has been confirmed as a sweetheart deal for the Bengals.

Yeah I never had a problem with the deal itself, just don't think Dalton justified his salary for most of it, wildly inconsistent, but it turns out he wasn't over-paid in the end, as you said.  Any starting QB is going to make that or more typically on average.  I remember the "$100 million QB" being thrown around when he was struggling.

Even in his early playoff years, he threw INT's like he was giving out candy.  Only posted a 90+ QB rating 2 out of those last 6 seasons.  For comparison, Marcus Mariotta has a higher QB rating over the last 5 seasons.

He had 3 good/great years, but even 2 of those were sullied with a lot of INT's and playoff stinkers.  If we can only talk about one year out of 9, I'm going to say he may be the most overrated Bengals' QB of all-time!!

But yeah yeah, good dude, etc.., 

On 4/30/2020 at 3:57 PM, ArmyBengal said:

My hope is that he plays for a team that comes to play in Cincinnati this season and the fans give him a nice welcome and recognize his time with the team.
I would attend that game just for that reason.  Love him or hate him, he's been nothing but classy and him and his wife are good people who have done a lot in the community.

Again, nothing but best wishes !!!

I will add that if this happens I hope the Bengals pull out a 4th quarter winning drive in this game.  To honor him being the franchise all-tome leader in 4th quarter winning drives

13 hours ago, ShulaSteakhouse said:

Yeah I never had a problem with the deal itself, just don't think Dalton justified his salary for most of it, wildly inconsistent, but it turns out he wasn't over-paid in the end, as you said.  Any starting QB is going to make that or more typically on average.  I remember the "$100 million QB" being thrown around when he was struggling.

Even in his early playoff years, he threw INT's like he was giving out candy.  Only posted a 90+ QB rating 2 out of those last 6 seasons.  For comparison, Marcus Mariotta has a higher QB rating over the last 5 seasons.

He had 3 good/great years, but even 2 of those were sullied with a lot of INT's and playoff stinkers.  If we can only talk about one year out of 9, I'm going to say he may be the most overrated Bengals' QB of all-time!!

But yeah yeah, good dude, etc.., 

How can a guy that has been called the average limit for NFL QB's by the talking heads be over-rated, when he set so many franchise records?  I think you are being a bit harsh.  Sure he wasn't perfect, but he was a very good QB most of the time.  He did throw out some stinkers during big/prime time games.

Now the Steelers beat writer who tweeted out that the Steelers offered Dalton is saying it was a joke.

Hard to figure out the joke here, the Steelers were openly saying they were going to look for veteran backup help.  

I think it says something about Dalton that he was so willing to take a back-up role with a team who has an established vet QB, before seeing if any situations pan out where he may have a shot at starting.  I mean regardless of Dak's situation, it's extremely unlikely Dalton becomes a starting QB in Dallas, if he even gets on the field.  It's not as if he wouldn't get multiple opportunities later this year if he waited.  But a "short commute" seemed more important than wanting to win and be successful somewhere and prove his doubters/haters wrong etc.., 

Never really had the competitive leadership mentality needed to be great, and all those shots of him smiling after a loss or a bad play or screw-up sort of confirms it for me.

To him it's just a job,  easy-going, take everything in-stride, praise Jebus.

That's all fine and good, but it is not the type of guy I would want leading my team on the field.  It should be the first criteria measured when choosing a QB, or any player really, when it comes to sports any ways.

I see the exact opposite in Burrow BTW - I'll always root for guys like that.  I had a hard time with Dalton, I just knew he would never fully pan out regardless of how good of an athlete he is.

I respect and appreciate what Dalton did while he was here. However, he never came across as the fiery leader. He seems like such a good guy that it’s just not in his nature to lead in that manner.

Right or wrong as to the above, I will just say thanks and good luck to him and his family. I will be rooting for him to get playing time and do well.

I have no doubt he prioritized getting closer to home.  It’s just who he is.

Having said that, Andy openly complained that the Bengals waited too long to cut him and thus limited his options.  It makes me think he was able to prioritize being close to home over the other available options, but may have had some in mind that he would have pursued had they not been filled by the time he was available.

If the Steelers made an offer, that’s a no-brainer, go with the Cowboys. 

The way this league chews guys up, he could end up playing a lot.  Starting a playoff game is not unthinkable.  Injuries happen.

7 hours ago, COB said:

I have no doubt he prioritized getting closer to home.  It’s just who he is.

Having said that, Andy openly complained that the Bengals waited too long to cut him and thus limited his options.  It makes me think he was able to prioritize being close to home over the other available options, but may have had some in mind that he would have pursued had they not been filled by the time he was available.

The way this league chews guys up, he could end up playing a lot.  Starting a playoff game is not unthinkable.  Injuries happen.

This. The idea Dalton went to Dallas because he doesn’t want to win or something is rock stupid and a product of Shula’s anti-Dalton bias. What starting opportunity did he turn down? Oh, right, there wasn’t one. Whatever market their might have been for him dried up months ago. This is a one year deal in a convenient location that lets him go back into FA next March.

It's a business and I, all of you, and certainly Dalton understand that fact.
The Bengals were rightfully trying to get something in return in trade.  It simply couldn't have been a worse time with the market being flooded.

However, I think the question is, had the Bengals simply released Dalton early on in the process when all teams were looking, what would have happened ??
It could certainly be argued that had the Bears had a shot at Dalton, in being able to get him cheaper, could have went with him over Foles.
It's not like Trubiskey has been setting the world on fire, so his opportunity to start would have increased dramatically.

That being said, none of that matters at this point.  It's all just a guess at what teams "would" have done if given a chance.

On 5/7/2020 at 7:52 AM, HoosierCat said:

This. The idea Dalton went to Dallas because he doesn’t want to win or something is rock stupid and a product of Shula’s anti-Dalton bias. What starting opportunity did he turn down? Oh, right, there wasn’t one. Whatever market their might have been for him dried up months ago. This is a one year deal in a convenient location that lets him go back into FA next March.

Why would it dry up? If there was so much interest in him, give it some time and see what pans out.  He took an offer to be a certain back-up, period, no competition at all, right out of the chute.  He had no interest in starting again or going to a SB etc.., What is it that I'm not explaining about him that is so mysterious? 

The crying about not being released earlier seems like nonsense, if he asked for a release, they would've given it to him.  I don't need to beat a dead horse, so will end it with 0 playoff wins Dalton.  

Dallas is smart choice, IMO.    Sure Dalton could have held out at that elusive chance to start.   Maybe that opportunity comes along and maybe it doesn't.    What if it did? 

Cowboys are a favorite for the NFC in a not so great division.  A lot of times they are overrated because they have a massive following.

The Cowboys QB spot is unsettled maybe a holdout.  I think Dak is the same level QB as Dalton.  Maybe Dalton gets lucky and finds himself driving the Cowboys to a Superbowl. 

This is the Dallas Cowboys and they are supposed to be a good team this year.   What?  Dalton going to hold out to be Jacksonville's starting QB over that?    I dunno, I'd probably take Dallas too.

• 2 months later...
  • 2 months later...
On 5/7/2020 at 12:25 AM, COB said: