Farewell Andy Dalton

Stripes

Dalton one of favorite Bengals.Ā  Class act.Ā Ā Ā  I always viewed him as a limited QB and sad his best season and team got cut short so he could have opportunity to put those horrid playoff games behind him.

I hope he lands in the NFC so I can cheer for him.Ā Ā 

• Like 1

41 minutes ago, HoosierCat said:

Oh, and Joe Goodberry is signing off after a decade of covering the team. Bummer.

Ā 

That was a gut punch. Totally understandable, but, still, selfishly, a real loss to not have his voice covering the team.Ā 

• Like 1

Was ready to move on from him 3 years ago, am just glad we're finally there, ready to watch someone else.Ā  Odd that he and Newton are both unemployed at the moment. Who knows where he'll end-up at this point.Ā  I can't imagine Belichick tolerating his mental lapses and inconsistency, but we'll see.

My hope is that he plays for a team that comes to play in Cincinnati this season and the fans give him a nice welcome and recognize his time with the team.
I would attend that game just for that reason.Ā  Love him or hate him, he's been nothing but classy and him and his wife are good people who have done a lot in the community.

Again, nothing but best wishes !!!

• Like 1

7 hours ago, HoosierCat said:

Will always be one of the great what ifs.

As much as everyone hates Hue I think he was the best thing to happen to Dalton and that offense. He might not have been a great HC but he sure was a hell of a coach wherever he was with the Bengals.

Dalton was never the same after he left, what could have been if he stayed as the OC of this team. I miss Hue and what Andy was under him.

• Like 1

I mean, somebody had to offer SOMETHING for him and Winston just signed for $1 million and Newton is still out a job, so, yeah, not sure how much of a market. The Bears, when they chose Foles, choked the life out of his market.Ā 

Meh, no one was going to pay him $17.5 mil, and the Bengals' weren't going to pick-up any of the tab I'm guessing.Ā  Ā No one wanted him as their penciled-in starter at this point.Ā  He's an injury away somewhere from being a starter though, unless Belichick wants to roll that dice.Ā Ā 

15 hours ago, volcom69 said:

As much as everyone hates Hue I think he was the best thing to happen to Dalton and that offense. He might not have been a great HC but he sure was a hell of a coach wherever he was with the Bengals.

Dalton was never the same after he left, what could have been if he stayed as the OC of this team. I miss Hue and what Andy was under him.

Yup. Hue was easily the best OC we had in the Marvin era. Gruden was ok but the league seemed to figure him out pretty quick.

Ā 

15 hours ago, membengal said:

I mean, somebody had to offer SOMETHING for him and Winston just signed for $1 million and Newton is still out a job, so, yeah, not sure how much of a market. The Bears, when they chose Foles, choked the life out of his market.Ā 

Pretty much this. The QBĀ market was saturated and as Shula said a $17 million price tag is hard to swallow when you can get guys for 1/17th of that.

If his salary was reasonable, we could have traded him. Ā But with one year left at that price, no way.

The best thing they could do for him, they did. Ā They released him now so he can have as many interested teams as possible, take his pick of those, and be onĀ his new team with plenty of time to learn the offense, and either compete to be the starter or be installed as the de facto, pre-determined, starter. Ā 

• Like 1

Heā€™s such a perfect fit for New England. Ā They protect the QB, wonā€™t expect a ton of improvisation, and will use Daltonā€™s quick, first option release to good effect. Ā Iā€™m just waiting for the announcement.

Having said all that, heā€™ll probably end up with the Jags or someplace unexpected.

A small postscript to the Dalton era: you will all recall, Iā€™m sure, how the Bengals were pilloried back in 2014 for signing Andy to a $96.6 million extension. In 9 years with the team, he ended up making (including his rookie deal) $83.5 million, an average of about $9.3 million annually.

Based on Kyler Murrayā€™s deal last year, Burrow will sign for something like 4 years and $36 million. Or about the same annual average as Dalton.

In the end, that extension has been confirmed as a sweetheart deal for the Bengals.