2021 NFL Draft

no no no :-)

no complaints from me on your mock draft

rather this......I'm saying, make some assumptions about what happened in FA before ou start the draft.......we got two above average OL, we lost Lawson, we picked up a speed WR, etc etc.  Then your mock draft takes on the context of what happened in FA

So for example, I like your draft better if we retained Lawson in FA.  Far less so if we didnt, since we would then need 2 plug-n-play DEs and you only drafted one.   etc etc.

TJ - I have run a billion of these. Sometimes I make assumptions, sometimes I don't. That time, I just wanted to run a tester and see what no trades and trying to fill needs with no reference to the unknown of free agency would look like.  You cannot fill every need in the draft, was curious what one would look like if you tried. 

Here's McShay's latest (espn plus needed as usual):

1. Lawrence

2. Wilson

3. TRADE Panthers jump up to take Lance

4. Fields

So QB, QB, QB and QB. Bengals take Sewell at 5 and Chase goes 6 to the Eagles.

The QBx4 thing seems a little bit unrealistic but what do I know? If it falls out like that I'd be perfectly happy.

https://www.espn.com/nfl/draft2021/insider/story/_/id/30862243/nfl-mock-draft-2021-todd-mcshay-post-super-bowl-predictions-all-32-first-round-picks

On Smith - I love him but worry about his size - could be talked into him between 10 and 15 but not at 5. Waddle's ankle scares me frankly, I don't want a recently injured guy at 5, but could also be talked into him. I just think Chase is better overall in general. 

Mem: in what range would you place Waddle?

• I dont know the situation on his recovery, tho he did play sparingly in the national championship game
  • making sure you know about his potential value not only as speed WR, but also a returner

Obviously any team drafting him would have to perform full medical due diligence.....healthy ankles being rather important to speed and all :-)

I discount the special teams factor because I don't think he would really be risked for that given his value on the field and them not wanting to risk injuring him in that role. I may, in two months time, get more comfortable with idea of him at 5, but it's gonna take some time. And some good health reports. 

5 minutes ago, TJJackson said:

Wraith: I agree, and I think Chase has enough speed to serve in the field-stretching role, albeit I dont think he is elite in the speed category.  Probably a 4.4 guy.  Very good, but not elite

that said, what do you think of Waddle and Smith?

I am worried that Smith is too slight of build to avoid constant injury in the NFL.  Waddle us certainly fast and quick but he is short with a small catch radius.

My rankings for pass catchers would be this:

1) Chase 2) Pitts 3) Waddle 4) Smith.

30 minutes ago, TJJackson said:

I am certainly looking forward to getting 40 time for each of these guys, especially Chase, from their college pro days

It will be very awkward if Waddle doesnt run with the ankle as his excuse

If Chase run a low or sub 4.4 there is no doubt who the best receiver is.  If he runs a high 4.4 or into the 4.5s then the debate will begin.  Looking at the tape, he looks like a low 4.4 guy to me.

• Like 1

Re: the notion of Kyle Pitts at #5 overall:

If folks could point me to one top 10 TE in the last (checks notes) EVER who had multiple Pro Bowls, that would be swell...

Here's your draft history TE list for all-time (every draft on here):

http://www.drafthistory.com/index.php/positions/te

Best ever TE picks in first round of the draft era? Kellen Winslow Sr (13th overall in 1979), Tony Gonzalez (13th overall in 1997), Jeremy Shockey (14th overall in 2002), Ozzie Newsome (23rd overall 1978), Dallas Clark (24th overall 2003). That's it, that's the list.

First round TE in top 10 in draft era?

TJ Hockenson, Eric Ebron, Vernon Davis, Kellen Winslow Jr., Rickey Dudley, Kyle Brady, Junior Miller, Ken MacAfee, JV Cain, Charlie Young, Riley Odoms, Steve Zabel, Ted Kwalick. (Mike Ditka when #5 overall in 1960 - but that was before the bengals existing and before the common draft era...)

And only one of THOSE guys was picked as high as 5 overall...Riley Odoms (other than Ditka pre-common draft era).

I mean, just, yeesh. Kyle Pitts is gonna be the one to be the exception? For sure? Because, in top 5, everyone better be damn sure. Play around with it on the link I dropped. I guess I could be convinced, but it is gonna take awhile. Trade back and take him? OK. Stay put and take him over Chase or Sewell if they are there? Or even over Waddle? Hells no.

Pitts would have to be a MUCH better blocker for me to want him at 5

Maybe with a tradedown to 15 or lower, even though him lasting that long is questionable at best

But there should be good OLs at 15 or lower as well, so.........I'd still prefer an OL like Darrisaw, Vera-Tucker, Slater, etc

I would like a TE later but want one who is a 3 down TE, with roughly equal skills in both receiving and blocking.  a player who when they come on the field the opposing defense has no idea whether they will be blocking or receiving on that down

I think the main reason Pitts enters the conversation at 5 is because he is as I have said before not really a classic TE......rather, he is at the moment a really big WR, and most draft heads seem to be looking at one of two OLs --or-- one of the two (or three, if one considers Waddle) WRs for Cincinnati at 5

*grin*

Thankfully, no critical head injuries will be necessary and I pray you've not acquired such an injury due to my post :-) 

i've seen this stated in multiple articles/draft profiles on Pitts....one of these even stated that he is the best receiver in the draft, period

*shrug* opinions do vary, not everyone evaluates every player the same

Im not trying to say the take is right, rather, I am saying this is how I can understand Pitts keeps coming up for the Bengals at 5

3 hours ago, membengal said:

If he's a big WR, will need someone to explain to me slowly, as if I have been hit on the head with a boulder, how he is ranked ahead of Chase, Waddle, and Smith...

I think teams are starting to understand the value of a dominant TE.  I expect the over the next several years we are going to see more and higher draft picks at the position.  That said I do agree that he is not a good option at 5. Not if Chase or Sewell are on the board and not if they are not because someone is going to offer us a mint for one of the QBs.  I do believe he will be a star, he has freakish movement for a person of his size and great hands.