2021 NFL Draft

13 hours ago, membengal said:

PFF four-round mock I conducted - top four ahead of Bengals pick were Lawrence, Fields, Sewell and Paye

So - my choice was stay put ( I would take Chase if so) or see about trades - I was told by system that SF was interested in a deal - I ended up trading back from 5 and getting 12, 44, and 113

So, here was my draft through four rounds (PFF engine picking for all teams but Bengals)

Round 1 Pick 12 --- DeVonta Smith, WR, Alabama

Round 2 Pick 37 --- Rashawn Slater, T Northwestern

Round 2 Pick 44 --- Marvin Wilson, IDL, Florida State

Round 3 Pick 69 --- Jaelen Phillips, Edge, UMiami

Round 4 Pick 106 -- Quincy Roche, Edge, UMiami

Round 4 Pick 113 -- Josh Myers, IOL, tOSU

Thoughts? You like that TJ? So much line but still a really good WR in 1. The line depth is quite something in rounds 2-4. The extra picks were nice...

I think the trade is more reasonable and (importantly) more likely (especially if SF then used pick 5 to take a QB) than most draft simulation websites I've noted

Its a pretty good haul that would be better (imo) if you picked up a corner or a three down TE in place of one of the two DEs.  That said, I fully concede extreme need at the DE spot

I always was. I just am not as stuck in my ways. I run like  a million mocks a year. I don't bother you all with all of them is all. But it's where a lot of my opinions come from on relative depth or shallowness of drafts at various positions and merits of staying put, trading back or the like. 

3 hours ago, TJJackson said:

I think the trade is more reasonable and (importantly) more likely (especially if SF then used pick 5 to take a QB) than most draft simulation websites I've noted

Its a pretty good haul that would be better (imo) if you picked up a corner or a three down TE in place of one of the two DEs.  That said, I fully concede extreme need at the DE spot

The corners on that mock at that point would have been an extreme reach compared to the value of those two DEs...

And if we draft a TE in 3 or 4 I will lose my mind. We have CJ already running in his rehab, so he's back, and Sample. No TE should be drafted ahead of round 7. At best.  Unless you want to talk me into a trade back to end of first ten picks or so in round 1 and Pitts. Even then, I don't think I would be thrilled with that.

1 hour ago, membengal said:

if we draft a TE in 3 or 4 I will lose my mind. We have CJ already running in his rehab, so he's back, and Sample. No TE should be drafted ahead of round 7. At best.

Sample is a blocking TE

Uzomah is a receiving TE

the others are backups and/or special teams guys

looking for a real 3 down TE who can not only help with protection but also represent a legitimate receiving threat on the same down

I wanted to mention here - Slater from Northwestern - I've seen him rated anywhere from top 10 to early 2nd round

That aside, he's listed in most places as a Tackle, but most of the detail descriptions mention that he is more than likely going to be a Guard in the NFL, or that he will likely have more success in the NFL if he is used as a Guard

So when I talk about him - and I will almost assuredly - it will be as a OG, not an OT.....even though almost every draft profile headline says "OT"

edit:  this profile even states he'll be best if played as a Center

https://thedraftnetwork.com/player/rashawn-slater/1pKUn4IfC4

although as far as I can tell he has no college experience whatsoever at Center....just ORT and OLT

https://nusports.com/sports/football/roster/rashawn-slater/8396

From Dane Brugler:

https://theathletic.com/2314550/2021/01/11/nfl-draft-prospects-alabama-ohio-state/?source=dailyemail

Over the last five years, no two college programs have produced more NFL Draft picks than Alabama (48) and Ohio State (45).

And, no surprise here, both schools will be very well represented in the 2021 NFL Draft, making Monday’s College Football Playoff championship game all the more interesting.

Let’s count down the top-30 draft-eligible NFL prospects in the title game.

(Note: An asterisk indicates draft-eligible underclassmen. This list does not include players who are unable to play due to injury like Alabama’s Landon Dickerson)

30. Brian Robinson Jr., RB, Alabama (6-2, 224)
For most college programs, Robinson is a starter and player contending for all-conference honors. He isn’t a twitchy, make-you-miss type of runner, but he is always running downhill with the body power and cutting skills to grind out yardage.

29. Jonathon Cooper, Edge, Ohio State (6-4, 260)
A senior captain, Cooper chose to redshirt last season to return in 2020 and he hasn’t disappointed, leading the Buckeyes with 3.5 sacks. Although he is a tad limited and needs to eliminate the wasted movements mid-rush, he is a hard-charging rusher with heavy hands and a chance to be selected on day three.

28. *Christopher Allen, LB, Alabama (6-3, 250)
Although injuries had been the story of his Tuscaloosa career, Allen has been healthy in 2020 and the results have followed, currently second in the SEC with 12.0 tackles for loss. He has been inconsistent at times in space, but he is a strong edge-setter and one of the leaders of the defense.

27. Thayer Munford, OT, Ohio State (6-6, 313)
One of the more polarizing offensive line prospects in this class, some scouts think Munford could sneak into the top-100 picks while others see him in the late rounds. He has some balance issues vs. speed, but he is long, wide and finds a way to stay between defenders and the ball.

26. *Tyreke Smith, Edge, Ohio State (6-4, 265)
The Buckeyes were obviously missing Chase Young this season, but Smith showed flashes of dominance — I just wish we saw more of it. He has some body stiffness, but he is physically strapped together with the quickness and power to set a hard edge in the run game and beat blockers as a rusher.

25. *Sevyn Banks, CB, Ohio State (6-1, 200)
While he isn’t as well-known as Wade, Banks has been the more consistent cover man this season for the Buckeyes. He is a balanced athlete and does a nice job playing the football, finishing the Sugar Bowl with two passes defended, intercepting Trevor Lawrence to seal the victory for Ohio State.

24. Nicholas Petit-Frere, OT, Ohio State (6-5, 305)
Only a redshirt sophomore, Petit-Frere is a loose-hipped big man with a bright future ahead of him. His body angles and landmarks are very inconsistent, but the raw traits are intriguing and he has done a nice job in his first year as the Buckeyes’ starting right tackle.

23. *Josh Jobe, CB, Alabama (6-1, 190)
A well-built, physical cover man, Jobe needs to find better balance between being aggressive and wild. But his size and disruptive nature (11 passes defended, two forced fumbles) are strong selling points for the next level.

22. *Shaun Wade, CB/S, Ohio State (6-1, 195)
At this point in the draft process, Wade is an enigma. His 2019 tape at nickel was promising, but his 2020 tape at outside cornerback has been well below average. He is a strong tackler with size and athleticism, but his footwork is wild and he has very little feel once his back is turned to the line of scrimmage. Wade has done nothing to make NFL teams believe he is an outside corner prospect, but they aren’t ready to give up on him as a potential nickel/safety.

21. *Phidarian Mathis, DT, Alabama (6-3, 315)
When scouting Alabama’s defensive line, Christian Barmore is the most talented of the group, but don’t overlook Mathis, who consistently stood out this season. He carries his 315 pounds well and showed the versatility and toughness to handle various assignments in Nick Saban’s front.

20. Haskell Garrett, DT, Ohio State (6-2, 300)
One of the best stories of the 2020 college football season has been Garrett, who returned from a near-fatal gunshot wound in August to put himself on the NFL radar. Lining up mostly over the B-gap, the Las Vegas native plays with lateral quickness, strong hands and a natural radar for the football. Garrett is considering a return to Columbus in 2021, but if he declares, he is a projected mid-round draft pick.

19. *LaBryan Ray, DT, Alabama (6-4, 296)
Listed as “probable” for this matchup, Ray hasn’t had the redshirt junior season many expected (11 tackles, 0.5 sack), missing five games due to injury. But when at full health, he has intriguing traits with his natural power to stack-and-shed and shut down the run.

18. Deonte Brown, OG, Alabama (6-3, 360)
Similar in ways to Seahawks’ Damien Lewis, Brown is a heavy mover, but he is a big, powerful blocker with the physical attitude and technically sound approach that projects well to the NFL. Without his partner in crime (Landon Dickerson) at center, Brown played well vs. Notre Dame and scouts want to see more of the same vs. Ohio State.

17. *Jeremy Ruckert, TE, Ohio State (6-5, 255)
With the way Ohio State utilizes its tight ends, Ruckert doesn’t have the receiving production that jumps off the stat sheet (27 career catches, including 12 in 2020). But he has been impressive as a blocker and answers the call when targeted, displaying smooth routes and strong hands.

16. Pete Werner, LB, Ohio State (6-1, 235)
The key selling point with Werner is his versatility. He has the athleticism to play any linebacker position and the Ohio State coaches say his intelligence is what allows them to pile more on his plate than any other player. Along with his nonstop pursuit hustle and Werner should be a solid pro for a long time.

15. Trey Sermon, RB, Ohio State (5-11, 220)
Over his last three games, Sermon has been a man on a mission. Against Michigan State, Northwestern and Clemson, he has rushed 70 times for 636 yards and four touchdowns. And maybe more impressive than his 9.1 yards per carry over that span has been his determination and body balance to break tackles and consistently pick up positive yards.

14. Baron Browning, LB, Ohio State (6-2, 237)
A former five-star recruit, Browning has always had the physical traits and the rest is starting to catch up. He needs to continue and improve his anticipation, but he has the athleticism to make plays in coverage, string out runs or go through blocks as a blitzer.

13. *Tommy Togiai, DT, Ohio State (6-2, 300)
Against Clemson, Togiai finished with four tackles (one for loss), one forced fumble and one pass break-up. But the box score doesn’t begin to illustrate his impact on that game, playing powerful and active at the point-of-attack to stack up blockers. Togiai’s draft arrow is pointing north.

12. Alex Leatherwood, OT/G, Alabama (6-5, 313)
While he has held up well at left tackle for the Tide, Leatherwood’s best pro position is likely inside at guard with his naturally wide base and eager hands. He is considered a solid day two prospect.

11. *Dylan Moses, LB, Alabama (6-3, 235)
After missing last season due to an ACL injury, Moses returned in 2020 and hasn’t quite looked like the same player. He makes plays with his athleticism and toughness, but he also gives up plays, especially in coverage where he can find himself out of position. Moses isn’t a lock to be one of the first five linebackers drafted if he declares so a strong game vs. Ohio State would help.

10. *Mac Jones, QB, Alabama (6-2, 215)
A tough evaluation because of the immense talent around him, Jones still deserves credit for making the reads and throws while staying poised in the pocket. There are a lot of split opinions among scouts on his next level ceiling, which makes it tough to peg his landing spot on draft day. But it is easy to appreciate his decision-making and self-assured play style.

9. *Wyatt Davis, OG, Ohio State (6-4, 315)
With his stopping power and awareness, Davis is able to gain proper body position and tie up defenders. He will have some struggles when rushers attack his edge, but he is a well-rounded blocker who should be a plug-and-play guard in the NFL.

8. *Josh Myers, OC, Ohio State (6-5, 315)
There is a split opinion around the league on which interior Ohio State blocker will be drafted first between Myers and Davis. How both perform against Alabama’s big, athletic defensive line could play a factor in determining their draft value.

7. Najee Harris, RB, Alabama (6-2, 232)
Understandably, most talented running backs jump to the NFL after their junior years. Harris elected to return as a senior and get better and that is exactly what he did, boosting his NFL draft stock in the process. Not only did he jump one round (at least), but he is now a more complete back and ready to step into a featured role in the NFL.

6. *Chris Olave, WR, Ohio State (6-1, 188)
It is hard to argue against LSU’s Ja’Marr Chase and Alabama’s DeVonta Smith and Jaylen Waddle as the top-three receivers in this draft. But after that, there is plenty of intrigue on how the next receiver prospects stack up. Olave has sweet feet and excellent ball skills and with a strong performance against Alabama’s corners, he might be tough to keep out of the first round.

5. *Christian Barmore, DT, Alabama (6-5, 310)
Only a redshirt sophomore, Barmore has been my DT1 since the summer, but that ranking was based more on potential than consistent production. However, the Philadelphia native has continued to develop this season, unlocking his power and athleticism. Barmore currently leads the Tide in sacks (7.0) and forced fumbles (3).

4. *Patrick Surtain, CB, Alabama (6-2, 205)
As the son of a Pro Bowl cornerback, Surtain was groomed to play defensive back at a high level and he didn’t shrink in the SEC the past three seasons. Although he lacks elite speed for the position by NFL standards, Surtain is smooth, instinctive and the game appears to slow down for him.

3. *Jaylen Waddle, WR, Alabama (5-10, 182)
I didn’t expect to include Waddle on this list because his season was seemingly over after ankle surgery back in October. But he was back at practice this week and might be able to play vs. the Buckeyes. Waddle will almost assuredly be on a snap count and likely won’t look like the same explosive athlete if he plays Monday night. But a 75 percent version of Waddle is still better than most wideouts, which is why he has a chance to be a top-10 pick in April.

2. DeVonta Smith, WR, Alabama (6-0, 172)
With his talent, Smith could easily be No. 1 on this list. His explosive athleticism, instinctive route-running and natural hands are what make him a polished playmaker. While there is no question about his toughness, Smith’s frail build leads to durability concerns, which is the main question with his pro evaluation.

1. *Justin Fields, QB, Ohio State (6-3, 218)
Coming off the best performance of his college career, how will Fields follow up on a bigger stage and against a better opponent? It was a very up-and-down regular season for Fields, but he was locked in against Clemson, specifically his toughness and accuracy. However, the Alabama defense will present a much tougher challenge for the Ohio State offense.

If Fields is quick with his eyes and decisions and creates explosive plays like he did in the semifinals, not only does Ohio State have a good chance to win the championship, but the Buckeyes’ quarterback might also win over NFL scouts, specifically the New York Jets with the No. 2 overall pick.

46 minutes ago, Stripes said:

I would prefer Chase, and I suspect the Bengals would too. They’ve always liked their receivers tall, and the Burrow connection seals it.

If it’s a receiver, Smith would surprise me.

Chase isn’t that tall either. 

Dane Brugler's latest mock (posted 1/12/21):

https://theathletic.com/2316582/2021/01/12/nfl-mock-draft-devonta-smith/

The quarterback movement this offseason will be fascinating.

Do the Colts bring back Philip Rivers or move on? How does the new Jets head coach feel about Sam Darnold? Do the 49ers have an upgrade in mind for Jimmy Garoppolo? What about Chicago? New England? Washington?

The questions go on and on. Several quarterback-needy teams will look to the draft to find the answers, which is one of the reasons many expect four quarterbacks to be selected in the top 10, which has only happened once — in 2018.

Aside from worthy quarterback talent at the top of the draft, several around the league also voiced a lack of optimism about the 2022 quarterback draft class (based on early scouting) as another contributing factor why teams will be more aggressive drafting quarterbacks in April.

What we know is there is more demand than supply, making this two-round mock draft an exercise of quarterback musical chairs.

Note: Picks 1-24 in the first round and picks 33-56 in the second round have been set. Which teams will make the other picks will be determined by playoff results.

First round

1. Jacksonville Jaguars — Trevor Lawrence, QB, Clemson
Regardless of the head coach or general manager, Lawrence is the guy at No. 1. While I wouldn’t put the “generational quarterback” label on him, he is a generational talent with his combination of size, mobility, arm talent, processing speed and intangibles.

2. New York Jets — Zach Wilson, QB, BYU
This is where the intrigue really starts. Should the Jets keep Darnold and build up the roster (either by drafting Oregon’s Penei Sewell or by trading back)? Or should they start fresh with a new quarterback? And if so, which one? Wilson’s accuracy and off-platform playmaking skills are why several around the league think he is the favorite at No. 2.

3. Miami Dolphins (from Houston Texans) — DeVonta Smith, WR, Alabama
The Dolphins are proceeding with Tua Tagovailoa as their starting quarterback and they should have their sights set on getting him help. To take the next step in his development, Tagovailoa needs to learn the difference between “college open” and “NFL open” and reuniting him with Smith, who has elite ball skills and separation quickness, would speed up that learning curve.

4. Atlanta Falcons — Justin Fields, QB, Ohio State
Similar to when the Chiefs drafted Patrick Mahomes in the top 10 with an entrenched starter already on their roster, the Falcons have an opportunity to secure the future of the position with this pick. Matt Ryan has a complicated contract, but he is still a starting-level quarterback, and that would allow Atlanta to have patience with Fields before examining trade scenarios for Ryan.

5. Cincinnati Bengals — Penei Sewell, OT, Oregon
The Bengals (and Joe Burrow) might be on pins and needles at No. 5, hoping Sewell gets past the Jets, Dolphins and Falcons. Sewell isn’t the flawless prospect some make him out to be, but he is still an outstanding player with his big-man balance and flexibility — and he doesn’t turn 21 until October.

6. Philadelphia Eagles — Ja’Marr Chase, WR, LSU
Regardless of their quarterback situation, the Eagles need more firepower on offense. Chase, whose 84 catches last season were for 1,780 yards and 20 touchdowns, both SEC records, has the gear-changing acceleration and elite finishing skills that make him an immediate NFL weapon.

7. Detroit Lions — Micah Parsons, LB, Penn State
The Lions could be in the wide receiver market with this pick, but they also need difference-makers on defense. Although maturity concerns will follow him into the NFL, Parsons has a freaky combination of height, weight and speed, along with the skills to be a three-down player.

8. Carolina Panthers — Trey Lance, QB, North Dakota State
The Panthers need to upgrade at quarterback. It will just come down to how they feel about those in the draft. The concerns with Lance are obvious (he has only made 17 starts, all against FCS competition), but his talent, work ethic and college production are strong selling points. And with Teddy Bridgewater and P.J. Walker under contract, Carolina won’t need to rush Lance’s development.

9. Denver Broncos — Caleb Farley, CB, Virginia Tech
If one of the top four quarterback prospects is still on the board, the Broncos will have an interesting decision to make. But the defense needs upgrades at every level, including at cornerback. Although he is still learning the position, Farley has a Pro Bowl ceiling due to his athleticism, length and natural ball instincts.

10. Dallas Cowboys — Rashawn Slater, OT, Northwestern
Many fans will disapprove of any pick that isn’t a defensive player, but the Cowboys’ offensive line woes were a constant theme all season. Not only does Slater have NFL-ready talent, he offers the versatility to play tackle or guard, giving the Cowboys much-needed flexibility.

11. New York Giants — Kyle Pitts, WR/TE, Florida
One of the priorities for Dave Gettleman this offseason will be to get his quarterback more weapons. Yes, Evan Engram was named a Pro Bowler, but he is entering a contract year and Pitts can play tight end or wide receiver and create mismatches with his size, athleticism and ball skills.

12. San Francisco 49ers — Patrick Surtain II, CB, Alabama
The 49ers don’t have any cornerbacks under contract for next season so saying cornerback is a need is an understatement. And in this scenario, need matches talent with Surtain, who might not have elite speed or twitch but has NFL-ready cover skills and instincts.

13. Los Angeles Chargers — Christian Darrisaw, OT, Virginia Tech
The Chargers offensive line was among the worst this season. Imagine what Justin Herbert and the offense could do with more protection up front? Darrisaw is a bully who moves with balance and would give the franchise a long-term answer at left tackle.

14. Minnesota Vikings — Gregory Rousseau, edge, Miami (Fla.)
The lack of a consistent pass rush by the Vikings will eat at Mike Zimmer all offseason. The organization might be in position to draft the top pass rusher on its board, and that could be Rousseau, who has the length, flexibility and upside to blossom in Minnesota.

15. New England Patriots — Jaylen Waddle, WR, Alabama
The Patriots will examine several quarterback options this offseason, but it might not matter much unless they add more playmakers. Waddle and his special athleticism would be an instant shot of adrenaline for the offense.

16. Arizona Cardinals — Jaycee Horn, CB, South Carolina
There is no question Horn needs to improve his discipline and finishing skills to stay on the field in the NFL. But he is a long, agile athlete with the instincts and competitive mentality that remind some scouts of Aqib Talib, and he would give the Cardinals an immediate upgrade at the position.

17. Las Vegas Raiders — Jeremiah Owusu-Koramoah, LB, Notre Dame
With his explosive nature, Owusu-Koramoah could easily be a top-10 pick, although his role will vary depending on scheme. That will cloud his projection. One of the few certainties with the Raiders’ defense? It needs athletic playmakers and Owusu-Koramoah could fill that void.

18. Miami Dolphins — Kwity Paye, edge, Michigan
The Dolphins received surprising pass-rush production from Emmanuel Ogbah and Andrew Van Ginkel, but there is no such thing as too many pass rushers. Paye is an outstanding run defender and his twitchy lower body and relentless energy help him break down the rhythm of blockers.

19. Washington Football Team — Alijah Vera-Tucker, OT/G, USC
Although Cornelius Lucas played above expectations this season, left tackle is a position Washington will consider upgrading. Vera-Tucker was graded as a second-round guard before the season, but he moved to left tackle and played at a high level, boosting his draft grade.

20. Chicago Bears — Teven Jenkins, OT, Oklahoma State
There is an obvious need at quarterback in Chicago, but the demand outweighs the supply, especially with several other teams needing quarterbacks drafting in this range. The Bears also need to invest in their offensive line and Jenkins has experience at left tackle, right tackle and guard.

21. Indianapolis Colts — Tyson Campbell, CB, Georgia
One of the most intriguing defensive prospects in the draft, Campbell, who was high school teammates with Surtain, doesn’t always play confident, but his size and athleticism are first-round worthy. At 6-foot-2, he has outstanding length and moves like a much smaller player.

22. Tennessee Titans — Zaven Collins, LB, Tulsa
The Titans need to address several spots in their front seven and a versatile player like Collins will be very intriguing to coach Mike Vrabel. At 6-foot-3 and 260 pounds, he can rush the passer or play in space as an off-ball linebacker who creates impact plays. He had 11.5 tackles for loss and four interceptions and scored two touchdowns this season.

23. New York Jets (from Seattle Seahawks) — Azeez Ojulari, edge, Georgia
With three of the top 34 picks, the Jets can address plenty of needs, including pass rusher. Only a redshirt sophomore, Ojulari needs to diversify his pass-rush plan, but he is an explosive athlete with the dip-and-rip cornering skills to pressure the pocket.

24. Pittsburgh Steelers — Mac Jones, QB, Alabama
Ben Roethlisberger’s future in Pittsburgh is uncertain and the Steelers already know his successor isn’t on the roster. Jones is a tough prospect to evaluate because of the perfect situation around him at Alabama, but he deserves credit for his poise in the pocket and consistent decision-making.

25. Jacksonville Jaguars (from Los Angeles Rams) — Christian Barmore, DT, Alabama
Only a redshirt sophomore, Barmore has been my top-ranked defensive tackle since the summer, but that ranking was based more on potential than consistent production. However, the Philadelphia native has continued to develop this season and unlocked his power and athleticism, which is what the Jaguars need on their defensive line.

26. Cleveland Browns — Jaelan Phillips, edge, Miami (Fla.)
With Myles Garrett frequently facing multiple blockers, the Browns need to add another pass rusher opposite him. Phillips is a first-round talent with his athletic movements and handwork, but his landing spot on draft day will come down to teams’ medical grades.

27. Tampa Bay Buccaneers — Najee Harris, RB, Alabama
Bruce Arians wants a reliable pass-catcher at running back and neither Ronald Jones nor Ke’Shawn Vaughn have proved to be that (and Leonard Fournette likely not back). The Bucs were ready to draft Antonio Gibson for that role in last year’s second round before Antoine Winfield fell to them, so I expect Harris to be strongly considered here if still available for Tampa.

28. Baltimore Ravens — Joseph Ossai, edge, Texas
With Matt Judon, Yannick Ngakoue, Pernell McPhee and Tyson Bowser slated to hit free agency, the Ravens might be looking for pass-rush help in the draft. Ossai has some Justin Houston to his game with his body type, get-off speed and nonstop effort.

29. New Orleans Saints — Chris Olave, WR, Ohio State
Wide receiver isn’t atop the list of their most pressing needs, but the Saints are always looking to add dynamic athleticism on offense and have never been shy drafting Ohio State players.

30. Buffalo Bills — Jalen Mayfield, OT/G, Michigan
With several pending free agents on the offensive line, the Bills might be in a position to use an early round draft pick on a tackle or guard. Mayfield consistently improved as the Wolverine’s right tackle and he has the skill set to slide inside to guard if needed, which would give Buffalo flexibility.

31. Green Bay Packers — Daviyon Nixon, DT, Iowa
One of the most impressive risers this season, Nixon flashes the power to stack blockers and quickness to leverage gaps, posting 13 tackles for loss in seven games. The last time the Packers drafted an Iowa defensive lineman, Mike Daniels proved to be a steal. Nixon could have a similar impact.

32. Kansas City Chiefs — Kadarius Toney, WR, Florida
The Chiefs are in great shape with their offensive skill players so an offensive lineman or a defender might be more likely. But if the Chiefs lean into their strengths, Toney would be an intriguing fit as a versatile player who can line up across the formation and be a big play waiting to happen.

Second round

33. Jacksonville Jaguars — Wyatt Davis, OG, Ohio State
Once the Jaguars have their quarterback, investing in the offensive line is always a wise move. Former Ohio State coach Urban Meyer called Davis’ recruitment “one of the most enjoyable” experiences he has ever had, but regardless of who ends up as the Jaguars’ head coach, Davis would be an upgrade over A.J. Cann at right guard.

34. New York Jets — Liam Eichenberg, OT, Notre Dame
35. Atlanta Falcons —    Jayson Oweh, edge, Penn State
36. Miami Dolphins (from Houston Texans) — Travis Etienne, RB, Clemson
37. Philadelphia Eagles — Nick Bolton, LB, Missouri
38. Cincinnati Bengals — Asante Samuel, CB, Florida State
39. Carolina Panthers — Samuel Cosmi, OT, Texas
With Russell Okung and Taylor Moton set to become free agents, the Panthers might need to replace both starting tackles. From his time in the Big 12, head coach Matt Rhule is familiar with Cosmi, who offers the intangibles and toughness that fit Carolina’s culture.

40. Denver Broncos — Jordan Smith, edge, UAB
41. Detroit Lions — Rashod Bateman, WR, Minnesota
42. New York Giants — Carlos Basham, edge, Wake Forest
43. San Francisco 49ers — Joe Tryon, edge, Washington
44. Dallas Cowboys — Trevon Moehrig, FS, TCU
The last time the Cowboys drafted a safety in the first two rounds was when they took Roy Williams in 2002, so Moehrig would go counter to the organization’s drafting history. But he would give Dallas a much-needed upgrade over free safety Xavier Woods.

45. Jacksonville Jaguars (from Minnesota Vikings) — Pat Freiermuth, TE, Penn State
46. New England Patriots — Levi Onwuzurike, DT, Washington
47. Los Angeles Chargers — Eric Stokes, CB, Georgia
48. Las Vegas Raiders — Jay Tufele, DT, USC
49. Arizona Cardinals — Chazz Surratt, LB, North Carolina
50. Miami Dolphins — Josh Myers, OC, Ohio State
51. Washington Football Team — Terrace Marshall, WR, LSU
52. Chicago Bears — Dyami Brown, WR, North Carolina
With Allen Robinson possibly playing elsewhere, the Bears could be in the market for a dynamic wide receiver worth developing. With skills like Stefon Diggs, Brown has big-play speed (he averaged more than 20 yards per catch the last two seasons) and will continue to rise throughout the process.

53. Tennessee Titans — Rondale Moore, WR, Purdue
54. Indianapolis Colts — Alex Leatherwood, OT, Alabama
55. Pittsburgh Steelers — Elijah Molden, CB, Washington
56. Seattle Seahawks — Trey Smith, OG, Tennessee
Listing offensive line as a need for the Seahawks is an offseason tradition. Seattle had favorable results after drafting Damien Lewis, a mauling guard from the SEC, on Day 2 last year, so why not follow that formula? Smith could be plugged in as the starting left guard for the season opener.

57. Los Angeles Rams — Dylan Moses, LB, Alabama
58. Tampa Bay Buccaneers — Tommy Togiai, DT, Ohio State
59. Baltimore Ravens — Amon-Ra St. Brown, WR, USC
60. Cleveland Browns — Ifeatu Melifonwu, CB, Syracuse
There are several upgrades needed in Cleveland’s secondary, including at outside cornerback. Melifonwu has room to improve his anticipation, but he has the rare physical gifts in his length, speed and fluidity to match up against different types of NFL receivers.

61. New Orleans Saints — Jevon Holland, FS, Oregon
62. Buffalo Bills — Rashad Weaver, edge, Pittsburgh
63. Green Bay Packers — Greg Newsome II, CB, Northwestern
64. Kansas City Chiefs — Dayo Odeyingbo, DL, Vanderbilt

I have to admit that - lately - looking at our draft spot and who is a worthy pick at said draft spot - I get more and more worried that there wont be a OL there

I am becoming all the more certain we've simply got to find a trade down partner - to the point of offering up body parts and prayers and multiple cases of rum to Jobu (via Stripes, of course) to make it happen

I think Chase will be a wonderful player, but we need more than one player to be wonderful as a team and we already have two imo wonderful receivers already. 

Sewell, who took 2020 off (and I understand why) and only has a year and a half of college experience is not such a sure thing to me.

There seem to be several worthy OL in the 10-20 range so my take at this point is to target dropping into that range and pick up several more quality picks.

all good my fellow drafthead :-)

on another draft note, Joe Mixon has weighed in on his preferences for who we spend pick # 5 on

We grabbing DeVonte Smith if we get lineman in free agency

(@Joe_MainMixon) January 12, 2021

Or chase

(@Joe_MainMixon) January 12, 2021

so the IMMEDIATE thought I had after reading this is AW HELLL NO why is our running back advocating for WRs?

I re-read the tweets a few minutes later and now my NEW/REVISED thought is: I know he's talked to Pollack at least once (probably several times) since Pollack was hired, and maybe just maybe he is indirectly leaking - and yes, this is pure speculation here - that Pollack told him (Mixon) he was promised big dollars to bring in some talent for the OL in FA.  More speculation: Pollack named a high dollar figure for spending in FA on OL this offseason as a condition of him accepting his contract.  I dont think either of these is out of the question.....I know if I were Pollack I'd want a promise for big spending on OL and given the state of this franchise I'd want a OL-spending budget in writing signed by SoaG

or maybe I am out of my freakin mind.   who knows.