2021 NFL Draft

McShay this morning.

Will it be an offensive tackle or a playmaker? Well, from what I'm hearing, the lean is to the former. It sounds like Oregon tackle Penei Sewell is the favorite here, followed by Kyle Pitts and LSU wide receiver Ja'Marr Chase. And the Bengals will get one of them. Ultimately, it's team owner Mike Brown's decision, and he has certainly surprised us before, but Sewell-Pitts-Chase sounds like the current plan at No. 5. Cincinnati still needs to better protect quarterback Joe Burrow, despite the add of lineman Riley Reiff, and Sewell could team up with 2019 first-rounder Jonah Williamsto form a fierce OT duo.

This is...odd, since pretty much all prior reporting was that Pitts was not in the mix.

It’s funny, RB has been in the back of my mind for months. Every time I’d do a mock, it seemed like the top players available at 38 always included a running back or two. Sometimes three. But I really never considered it until Gio was released.

I think it’s likely they will take a RB at some point. Yes, Perine flashed some ability in light duty last year, but he’s hardly a proven option. Mixon is coming off injury, has struggled to stay healthy his whole career, and is set to soak up $11 million in cap space next season. Pre-Gio release I was figuring it would be a day 3 pick. But if they do go with Sewell at 5 and the X WRs get picked over by the time they select again, if a guy like Etienne is there I think you have to talk about it at least.

5 minutes ago, HoosierCat said:

It’s funny, RB has been in the back of my mind for months. Every time I’d do a mock, it seemed like the top players available at 38 always included a running back or two. Sometimes three. But I really never considered it until Gio was released.

I think it’s likely they will take a RB at some point. Yes, Perine flashed some ability in light duty last year, but he’s hardly a proven option. Mixon is coming off injury, has struggled to stay healthy his whole career, and is set to soak up $11 million in cap space next season. Pre-Gio release I was figuring it would be a day 3 pick. But if they do go with Sewell at 5 and the X WRs get picked over by the time they select again, if a guy like Etienne is there I think you have to talk about it at least.

Without a doubt.  I still question where Sewell will play as a rookie, I have serious concerns about plugging a guy that hasn't played football in 16 months at a position he has never played in his life.  Are we going to break our promise to Jonah or Riley and play Sewell at tackle, that also seems fraught with danger.

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, Wraith said:

Without a doubt.  I still question where Sewell will play as a rookie, I have serious concerns about plugging a guy that hasn't played football in 16 months at a position he has never played in his life.  Are we going to break our promise to Jonah or Riley and play Sewell at tackle, that also seems fraught with danger.

I hear you. Sewell almost seems like a luxury pick. Not that we don’t need OL help badly, but exactly how he fits in is a bit fuzzy. But apparently Lap said today that Sewell will be the pick so I guess w’re going to find out.

2 hours ago, HoosierCat said:

I hear you. Sewell almost seems like a luxury pick. Not that we don’t need OL help badly, but exactly how he fits in is a bit fuzzy. But apparently Lap said today that Sewell will be the pick so I guess w’re going to find out.

Lap then backtracked and said Chase. He said both. He doesn't know.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, HoosierCat said:

That’s why they should take Slater over Sewell.  He literally fits any spot. 

Pitts is the best prospect, BUT Bengals are down 3 wr spots and have a slew of guys that can thrive in slot. Then you add Pitts?   There’s good WR but the elite boundary guys will be gone by 38.  

I would love a Pitts/Marshall draft but I doubt that opportunity presents itself.  

In all honesty IF your confident Marshall would be there at 38, you shouldn’t draft Chase.  

I doubt that happens. 

yeah, just went and re-listened to all of it rather than cut-ups - Lapham said if HE was picking his preference was Sewell - but then said that was in part because Lapham was an o-lineman and feels a loyalty. At end of pod, when Hoard asked what Lap thought Bengals would do he said it was 1 and 1A and neither was wrong but that he thought Sewell, and then like 15 seconds after talked himself out of that and said based on depth at line in draft he thought they would go Chase. So, I guess, he said Chase.

My take from all of that? He doesn't know either and his source that he was using when he was nailing picks under Marvin in the 2010s is long gone. 

1 hour ago, membengal said:

yeah, just went and re-listened to all of it rather than cut-ups - Lapham said if HE was picking his preference was Sewell - but then said that was in part because Lapham was an o-lineman and feels a loyalty. At end of pod, when Hoard asked what Lap thought Bengals would do he said it was 1 and 1A and neither was wrong but that he thought Sewell, and then like 15 seconds after talked himself out of that and said based on depth at line in draft he thought they would go Chase. So, I guess, he said Chase.

My take from all of that? He doesn't know either and his source that he was using when he was nailing picks under Marvin in the 2010s is long gone. 

Could be. OTOH it wouldn’t surprise me if the organization was still at least somewhat on the fence. 

So glad to hear that Lap doesn’t really know.  He used to nail it every year.  I hope they get Chase, ATL is certainly making it interesting though with Julio Jones trade rumors.  If they trade him,  in my opinion they’ll take Chase.  If not, who knows what they’ll do.  They don’t know what they’re doing down there.  That 2nd half collapse in the Super Bowl about wrecked that team.

10 minutes ago, COB said:

So glad to hear that Lap doesn’t really know.  He used to nail it every year.  I hope they get Chase, ATL is certainly making it interesting though with Julio Jones trade rumors.  If they trade him,  in my opinion they’ll take Chase.  If not, who knows what they’ll do.  They don’t know what they’re doing down there.  That 2nd half collapse in the Super Bowl about wrecked that team.

wait.....you were all in on Sewell......does Chase passblock now?

Ok draft nerds (I say that being uber draft nerd myself)....  Hypothetically, the draft falls like this....

1) Lawrence, duh

2) Wilson, double duh

3) Niners take Mac Jones

4) the Falcons decide to take local boy Justin Fields.  I think the Falcons maybe signalling that they are in for a rebuild.  Trade Jones for 2022 picks set yourself up for the post Ryan era.  It is a possibility particularly if Fields drops to them as is being speculated.

At #5 Sewell, Pitts and Chase are all there....who you got?

For me it is Pitts, Chase, Sewell...