2021 NFL Draft

On 4/21/2021 at 12:33 PM, TJJackson said:

That proves it, he never knows what he is talking about.  I've run dozens of mock drafts and very few work out well if Sewell is #5.  Round 2 and 3 always has multiple starting caliber OL available.  NO WR #1 options are there in RD 2 or 3, only slot/posession WO's.

1 hour ago, redsbengalsbucks said:

That proves it, he never knows what he is talking about.  I've run dozens of mock drafts and very few work out well if Sewell is #5.  Round 2 and 3 always has multiple starting caliber OL available.  NO WR #1 options are there in RD 2 or 3, only slot/posession WO's.

Mike Greenberg's argument is the poster child for a logical fallacy called "false dichotomy".  If taking Ja'Marr Chase meant that the Bengals were going to start the 2021 season with the same oline that they had in 2020, he would be right.  That ignores the possibility that they could take an olineman in the second or the second and third or fourth round that has a first round grade, this is a historically good Tackle draft.   That ignores the fact that the Bengals signed Riley Reiff or fired Turner and hired Frank Pollack.  That ignores that free agency is not over.

Want stats?  here's one.....a Top 10 WR is has double the WAR value as a Top 10 Offensive Tackle in the NFL today.  Also, Ja'Marr Chase is seen as a much better overall prospect than Penei Sewell by almost the entire NFL (citing Bob McGinn's excellent article, copied in this thread so I will not recount it, just summarize).  Chase is one of two WRs in recent memory with a perfect 80 rating by the NFL Scouts Bob has polled, the other?  HoF Calvin Johnson.  Sewell on the other hand is not even the consensus best Tackle in this draft, there are elements of his game that are concerning (footwork, hand placement) and elements of his physical stature (sub 34" arms).  Comparing Relative Athletic Scores, Ja'Marr Chase has a 9.81 which is second in the WR Pool to Central Florida's Jacob Harris, Sewell?  11th out of the Tackles with a good, not great, and certainly not generational, 8.99 behind other likely post-first round Tackles like Spencer Brown, Sam Cosmi, Brady Christensen, Dillon Radunz, and Alex Leatherwood.  Does that sound like a generational OT to you?  As far as draft grades, Wirfs, Thomas, and Willis all are graded higher just last season (Thomas had a sub 50 grade for his rookie season).

The question is....why is ESPN pushing this narrative that Penei Sewell is the only acceptable choice?  We are hearing this from not only Mike Greenberg, but also Dan Orlovsky, and Mike Tannenbaum.   Is it because they hate the idea of having the most marketable players playing for the Bengals?  Is that why they tried the sell the narrative last year that Burrow wouldn't sign with Cincy? 

It is ok to think Sewell is a better choice for Cincinnati, but, to say that even exploring the idea of taking a generationally good WR Prospect that has a great relationship to your franchise QB is some sort of heresy....well that is ludicrous to the point of being insulting.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Wraith said:

The question is....why is ESPN pushing this narrative that Penei Sewell is the only acceptable choice?  We are hearing this from not only Mike Greenberg, but also Dan Orlovsky, and Mike Tannenbaum.   Is it because they hate the idea of having the most marketable players playing for the Bengals?  Is that why they tried the sell the narrative last year that Burrow wouldn't sign with Cincy? 

People are starting to notice...

2 hours ago, membengal said:

I guess I am off Geoff Schwartz's holiday card list now, lol. 

Yeah, that was a pretty through beatdown. Nicely done. And a good point that's been kind of forgotten: they signed Reiff to a $7.5 million deal. Not only is that not backup money, it is for the Bengals a top-of-the-line paycheck for a guard. The last big deal they gave to a guard was Boling in 2015 and he got just a smidge over $5 million per. Su'a-Filo is making about $3 million a year and Spain is like $1.3 million. So not only didn't they sign him to sit on the bench, they signed him to money that says RT a lot more than RG, at least for this franchise.

Greenberg’s expiration date is long past.  He’s from another era, when ESPN could shove someone down your throat because there were no alternatives.  

He really couldn’t be duller.  

And even though I didn’t think it was possible, the Bengals have cratered into a new level of irrelevance in the national media.  They’re annoyed to even have to talk about us.  Can’t  our pick just forcefully be given to the Patriots or the Cowboys?

43 minutes ago, Stripes said:

I could see 7 wins as a median estimate, but best case scenario? Give me the over on the best case scenario.

Ok, thats 1000 Bengalszone dollars on the over.....you're covered and confirmed, Stripes. 

dont worry tho, I'll probably send you more than that to pay for voodoo supplies youll need this season, including Jobu's rum

You're going up there just to hear God-dell get booed both before and after saying "with the 5th pick of the 2021 Draft, the Brown Family selects.......Caleb Farley, Cornerback, Virginia Tech"?

The Brown family later explains: "well, we lost William Jackson the Third, so we needed a replacement player....."

Man, Linda Cohn on espn radio this morning.  “The Bengals MUST, MUST, select Penei Sewell with their 5th pick.”

Then she has an orgasm as she blabs about how great Chase will be paired up in Miami with Tua Tagovailoa, who she says will absolutely take him with the 6th pick.  

• Haha 1

Ha ha.  Her first guest, Lance Zierlein, absolutely set her straight on the Bengals, ie deep tackle class, you don’t pass up a playmaker like Chase or Pitts, etc.  

He basically ignored her stupid speculation that the Bengals would trade a few spots down if they felt they could still get Sewell.  Owned.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, COB said:

Ha ha.  Her first guest, Lance Zierlein, absolutely set her straight on the Bengals, ie deep tackle class, you don’t pass up a playmaker like Chase or Pitts, etc.  

He basically ignored her stupid speculation that the Bengals would trade a few spots down if they felt they could still get Sewell.  Owned.

Did she acknowledge Zierlein's points?

She did.  She said something like, “I never thought of that,” and she specifically was responding to Zierlein’s point that playmakers like Chase and Pitts are very rare, while tackles like Sewell aren’t that rare.  

I like Linda, but her depth of knowledge regarding these top 10 or so draft picks was non-existent.  She is a wealth of knowledge on the Giants, though.

The more I hear from ESPN the more I believe that they REALLY don't want a high octane offense in Cincy because they will have problems marketing that.

It would be funny if the AFC were ruled by Buffalo, Cincy, and Cleveland ala the late 80's for the next 10 years.  

• Like 2

57 minutes ago, Wraith said:

The more I hear from ESPN the more I believe that they REALLY don't want a high octane offense in Cincy because they will have problems marketing that.

It would be funny if the AFC were ruled by Buffalo, Cincy, and Cleveland ala the late 80's for the next 10 years.  

That would be great!

Re espn, it’s just a numbers game. Cincy has fewer than 2 million people. New York City proper has more than 8 million and the NYC metro area is pushing 19 million (which is 7 million more than the entire state of Ohio). So the Bengals can never come close to matching the viewership, ad revenue, etc. that the big markets generate.

I think it is less about the size of the city (example Green Bay) than the size of the fan base,. Cities like Miami are not that large compared to NYC or Chicago but the Dolphins pull fans from all over the American Southeast because they were the only franchise in the area that was worth a damn from 1970 to 1995-ish.

The Bengals fan base is much smaller than any other team in the league not only because of the size of the MSA but also, let's face it, our organization hasn't inspired much fervor in the last 30 years.  Even when we were a decent team we were not what you call an exciting team with a super powered offense....we haven't been that since Sam Wyche and few football fans even remember those teams.

• Like 1

Mike Brown has talked about this exact issue.  I’m paraphrasing but he said the only way to get a hardcore fan base is to go through kind of a dynasty period.  Like win a couple Super Bowls, compete in conference championship games, with the same core group.  So that’s his goal.  Allegedly.

Yeah, the national fan base plays a role here as well, so teams like Green Bay punch above their weight in terms of media deference. Success certainly doesn’t hurt either. I can still remember when the Patriots were as much of a running joke as the Bengals. The bottom line is Cincy has nothing going for it: small market, small national fan base, lack of success. That the media, which is after all in business to make money, would prefer star playmakers to land elsewhere isn’t really surprising when you add it all up.