2021 NFL Draft

On 3/23/2021 at 7:33 PM, Stripes said:

While I like Darrisaw more than Slater, if that happens at #5 I will start prepping my molotov cocktails that night.

I wouldn't put much drama into it.   You never know what NFL scouts truly think until the card is filled out.

Last year Andrew Thomas went top 5 when a lot of mocks had Becton stealing the top spot closer to the draft. 

Many years ago we had Levi Jones that was 20-40 range according to mock drafts but in reality was on the radar of a couple teams top 15.   Ended up being one of the best LTs in the game for a brief period.

There's a lot of good tackle prospects.   It really could come down to intangibles etc.  I've talked myself into believing IF the Bengals go tackle at 5.  It will be Slater over Sewell.  Because Slater can naturally play RG this year and then a natural bump out to RT in the future pending on Reiff.    

IMO,  IF you want to fill guard in the first round then Slater is the perfect pick for an organization that won't pay guards top dollar.   They'll groom inside then transition to tackle solving that problem.    Bengals really have no business using a top 50 pick on a prospect they view as only interior OL.   They've proven even when they are correct in the selection (Steinbach and Zeitler) they will not pay a premium for that.  

TJ - I take it you are brand new to a twitter account? If so, make sure you are following the sharps in the draft community. Will help fill out your knowledge. Jon Ledyard, Kyle Crabbs, Dane Brugler, Jordan Reid, Brandon Thorn, among many others. Those just off the top of my head. 

8 hours ago, AMPHAR said:

I've talked myself into believing IF the Bengals go tackle at 5.  It will be Slater over Sewell. 

Seems improbable.  But it’s true you never know what scouts truly think of guys, or the red flags that are appearing in interviews and workouts.  Just seems very unlikely that Slater goes over Sewell based on what’s on tape.  Sewell absolutely dominated guys.

Would be a diabolical move by Mike to take the lesser tackle because you can get a year or two of guard play out of him.  

Other possibility - Draft Sewell, kick Reiff inside and let him tutor Sewell on field.  

• Like 1

46 minutes ago, COB said:

Seems improbable.  But it’s true you never know what scouts truly think of guys, or the red flags that are appearing in interviews and workouts.  Just seems very unlikely that Slater goes over Sewell based on what’s on tape.  Sewell absolutely dominated guys.

Would be a diabolical move by Mike to take the lesser tackle because you can get a year or two of guard play out of him.  

Other possibility - Draft Sewell, kick Reiff inside and let him tutor Sewell on field.  

I'd interpret signing Slater over Sewell as being a case of valuing what can the player do for me now over what can the player do for me down the road

while this may seem to play into your feeling that this would be "diabolical", my point here is that Burrow is by far the most important piece on the team and he needs quality protection NOW

so there is from this point of view an argument for taking the player who is better now

and it isn't like Slater isn't a great player - he's pretty much the only OT who handled Chase in 2019

Very possible now that the 4 QB in row possibility comes to reality.  If I am Carolina, Denver etc I would be on the phone with Atlanta right now to make sure they get their man, Ain't no QB going to be available past pick 8 or so.

That means that  all 3 guys are very likely to be available to us.  Best case scenario.

58 minutes ago, COB said:

They got two first round picks for going from third to twelfth?  Man, that shows how valuable those very top picks are.  

I assume they’re doing it to get a franchise QB at 3?

Yup. You don’t give up that much to move up and take a tackle.

40 minutes ago, Wraith said:

Very possible now that the 4 QB in row possibility comes to reality.  If I am Carolina, Denver etc I would be on the phone with Atlanta right now to make sure they get their man, Ain't no QB going to be available past pick 8 or so.

That means that  all 3 guys are very likely to be available to us.  Best case scenario.

Yah. Unless Atlanta is dead set on a QB themselves (and they just extended Ryan, tho I think it was only for a couple years) I think it more than likely they move down too. Heck the Bengals may be getting calls at 5 now (and will definitely be getting them if Atlanta sticks and takes a non-QB).

3 hours ago, HoosierCat said:

Told y’all Miami trading out of 3 was a lock.

I am pretty upset about this

not only are we down one more potential trade down partner but we were actually fielding offers from a trade partner who was offering multiple r1 picks

once again, the Bengals serve me a heaping helping of sadness

maybe we should call them a factory of sadness, unless thats already been taken

53 minutes ago, TJJackson said:but we were actually fielding offers from a trade partner who was offering multiple r1 picks

Were we?  Last I heard, other teams said they didn’t even know who to call at PBS to talk about a trade.

Shefter said they were in talks with the 9ers for pick 5

Maybe someone was walking by the pay phone booth and and heard the phone ringing

of interest only to me, perhaps - in the majority of draft simulators i tried, where trades where available, my trade down partner was almost always the 9ers for pick 12 to be used on Slater or Darrisaw

1 hour ago, TJJackson said:

I am pretty upset about this

not only are we down one more potential trade down partner but we were actually fielding offers from a trade partner who was offering multiple r1 picks

once again, the Bengals serve me a heaping helping of sadness

maybe we should call them a factory of sadness, unless thats already been taken

Why in the world are you upset? "They ultimately wanted to go as high as they could" - means that we were never going to win out over Miami picking at 3 in terms of tradedown partners.