2021 NFL Draft

22 minutes ago, TJJackson said:

New Guy must be protected

M U S T

FA might cover 2 years

Drafted players get you 4 years.

New Guy must be protected in years 3 and 4 same as years 1 and 2

Yes, we do need a receiver.....but IMO we need the blockers right now much more than we need receivers.  its not even close.

Absolutely, but, if Sewell is gone do you want to reach for a tackle and pass up superior talent at another position?  Sewell because of his youth, size, length and athleticism is worth the #5 pick.  No offense to Slater or Darrisaw but their skill set is not nearly as rare and thus, they are not worth the #5 pick IMHO.  Slater is a top 15 guy, Darrisaw is top 20.  Radunz from North Dakota might be a better prospect than either of them.  Sam Cosmi is a starting caliber guy that can be had at the top of rd. 2 and might turn out just as good as a guy you reach for at #5. Same is true for Carman, or Jenkins, or Leatherwood and some of those guys (more than one) will fall to us in Rd. 2.  The difference between Sewell  and 5the rest of the tackle class is stark because he is young and long and suberly athletic.  Slater has none of that, he is a great technician and is very smart but those are traits you also get from Liam Eichenberg in the top of the third round.

Winning the draft is not just about drafting good players but about maximizing your draft position. At #5 you need to draft a superstar because you hopefully won't have that ability next year.  Chase is a WR who has no limits or deficiencies in his game, we have an added bonus in that he is comfortable with our starting QB.  Pitts is a generational talent and it is hard to find those guys at TE, a position that is getting increased attention due to the success of teams with those guys in the last 10 years (seriously match Super Bowl participants and Pro Bowl or All-Pro TEs it is really amazing what a superior TE can do for your offense).  Either Sewell, Pitts, or Chase will be there at five you can almost write that in stone and the Bengals HAVE to walk away with one of them.

In the second round you still have to evaluate the draft board, if you grab Pitts or Sewell in Rd. 1 and you know that you are desperate for a field stretching WR (because none of your guys can get separation on deep routes effectively) then you have to get a rd. 2 WR particularly since this is a VERY deep Tackle draft and you know you will be able to pick what would usually be a first round talent at that position at the top of rd. 3.  There are only 9 guys in this draft that can get separation on deep routes (either due to insane initial quickness or flat out topline speed) all of those nine guys are gone by the time we pick at the top of rd. 3 you can bet on it. and we need that ability....now if you want to fill that need in free agency great, it opens things up to draft BPA in the first and second round.

• Like 1

Personally,  I want the Bengals to do what it takes to resign Lawson and Jackson, Jr. get Moton (or Williams) and Thuney (or Warford) in Free Agency and a proven deep threat WR which would allow us to go into the draft and just take the BPA in every round.  Other teams play tricks with the cap there is no reason why we can't get creative and do the same thing to fit all those guys onto the roster.

No reason except, well, Mike Brown is our GM........and he is allergic to creativity.

21 hours ago, Wraith said:

I don't think Marshall at 37 is a pipe dream....right now on most boards Terrence Marshall, JR is the seventh or eight WR behind Chase, Waddle, Smith, Rondale Moore, Rashad Bateman, Elijah Moore, and Kadarius Toney.  I would be shocked if seven WRs go before our selection in the second round.  In the last 5 drafts, only once has there been more than 6 WRs go before #37 (last year).  If someone does grab Marshall early there is like one of the previous 7 available or someone like Dyami Brown from UNC who would fit the Bengals nicely.

you could still grab good linemen in the 3rd or 4th of this years draft.

I love James Hudson from UC and there is a fair chance he is available to us in the 3rd.  Quinn Meinerz from UW-Whitewater really impressed at the senior bowl and might be there at our pick in the 4th, Trey Smith from Tennesee might also still be available.  It is possible to get starter quality oline in the 3rd or the 4th rounds.  I have said it before, if I am running the Bengals I have a multiple hour meeting with Burrow and Taylor and map all the strategies out with their input.  This draft makes or breaks our ability to compete during Burrow's rookie contract and so it is more important than ever to get this right and make sure we are in lockstep.  also given that Burrow played with or against alot of these players his insight here would be incredibly valuable.

Really, after Hudson the starting caliber tackles are gone.....PFF has him at #77 but the 13th Tackle on the board.  IMHO there is no way 13 tackles go off the board before our pick in the third and whether it is Mayfield from Michigan or Eichenberg from Notre Dame, or the Fairfield kid from Clemson (Carman), or even Alex Leatherwood from Alabama (who appears to be dropping on draft boards) they are all great options.  If you go hard after skill players in the first two rounds to ensure Joey has all the weapons he needs you then absolutely need to make sure your third round pick is one of the tackles because all the starters will very likely be gone by the time we pick in the fourth.

I believe we need to walk out of this draft with a starting caliber tackle AND a starting caliber Right Guard.  That said both positions are very deep.  All the way down to Tommy Kraemer from Notre Dame who right now is #194 on PFF's draft board carry potentially starting caliber grades.  Also with Guards and Centers, fewer will go in the first three rounds so it will probably be easier for one of those guys to slip to us in the fourth.

Whether it is Sewell and Davis in the first two rounds or Hudson and Trey Smith in rounds 3 and 4, serious draft capital needs to be spent on this draft to make sure we do not repeat last year's disaster.  

I think once Marshall runs at a pro day he's gone before 38 (I guess).

He's already a split faster than Higgins and if he shaves anymore off...he gone probably.

5 star guy that's only confirmed his talent on the field.   He probably goes late 20s early 30s is my guess. 

37 minutes ago, TJJackson said:

do we have pick 37 or pick 38?

Here on these forums I keep seeing 37.  Other places on the net I see 38, like with these examples: 

https://www.profootballnetwork.com/nfl-draft-order/

https://stripehype.com/2020/11/25/cincinnati-bengals-2020-holiday-gift-guide/

https://gbnreport.com/2021-picks-by-team/

Colin has never been wrong yet

Kiper’s latest:

1 Lawrence

2 Falcons trade up for Wilson

3 DaVonta Smith

4 Kyle Pitts

5 Sewell

https://www.espn.com/nfl/draft2021/insider/story/_/id/30957145/nfl-mock-draft-2021-mel-kiper-new-predictions-all-32-first-round-picks-including-mac-jones-trey-lance-three-trades (Note: paywalled)

• Like 1

My new approach when I run a mock - won't entertain a trade offer that moves the Bengals back further than 10th in first round (should be one of Chase, Sewell, Waddle, Pitts, or Smith available at 10 - after that less certain I can get one of them). My latest pff mock yielded the usual trade-back with Denver at 9, trading 5 for 9, 40, and 71 and brought this result:

First round Pick 9 overall, Ja'Marr Chase, WR, LSU
Second round Pick 38 overall, Gregory Rousseau, Edge, UMiami
Second round Pick 40 overall, Sam Cosmi, T, Texas
Third round pick 69 overall, Aaron Robinson, CB, UCF
Third round pick 71 overall, Marvin Wilson, IDL, Florida State
Fourth round pick 111 overall, Quinn Meinerz, IOL, Wisc Whitewater
Fifth round pick 150 overall, Jaylan Twyman, Edge/IDL, Pitt
Sixth round pick 192 overall, Tommy Kraemer, IOL, Notre Dame
Seventh round pick 231 overall, Marquez Stevenson, WR, Houston
Seventh round pick 233 overall, JaCoby Stevens, S, LSU

Done and done. Prob my favorite mock effort yet. 

3 hours ago, HoosierCat said:

Kiper’s latest:

1 Lawrence

2 Falcons trade up for Wilson

3 DaVonta Smith

4 Kyle Pitts

5 Sewell

https://www.espn.com/nfl/draft2021/insider/story/_/id/30957145/nfl-mock-draft-2021-mel-kiper-new-predictions-all-32-first-round-picks-including-mac-jones-trey-lance-three-trades (Note: paywalled)

Why won’t Bengalszone let me “like” a post like to the tenth power.  One like is insufficient.

• Like 1

Mem:  I think I'd trade down as far as about 12-14, because If Im not getting Sewell I am getting either Darrisaw or Slater, and I am confident one of them will be there at 12

I'm expecting that such a trade will include (among other things) the trade partner's 2nd round pick; and I will absolutely devote one of the two high 2nd round picks we have in such a scenario to a passrushing DL, greatly preferring a DE all else being equal.  The other r2 pick might be a passblocking OG, speed WR, or man/press CB depending on how things fall

I want one of Sewell, Chase, Pitts, Waddle, or Smith. So, for me, no further than 10.

Matt Miller has updated his top 50 after a chance to spend more time with film. Here's his top 10:

1. QB Trevor Lawrence, Clemson
Previous Rank: 1
Details: QB1 — 6'5 5/8"— 213 lbs
NFL Comparison: Andrew Luck

2. WR Ja'Marr Chase, LSU
Previous Rank: 5
Details: WR1—6'0 1/4"—208
NFL Comparison: Michael Thomas (but faster)

3. TE Kyle Pitts, Florida
Previous Rank: 6
Details: TE1—6'5 1/4"—246
NFL Comparison: Mike Evans + Darren Waller

4. OT Penei Sewell, Oregon
Previous Rank: 2
Details: OT1—6'5 1/8"—330
NFL Comparison: Jason Peters

5. QB Justin Fields, Ohio State
Previous Rank: 9
Details: QB2—6'2 5/8"—228
NFL Comparison: Dak Prescott

6. LB Micah Parsons, Penn State
Previous Rank: 8
Details: LB1—6'2 1/8"—245
NFL Comparison: Jaylon Smith

7. OT Rashawn Slater, Northwestern
Previous Rank: 3
Details: OT2—6'2 5/8"—314
NFL Comparison: Joe Staley

8. QB Zach Wilson, BYU
Previous Rank: 11
Details: QB3—6'2 3/8"—210
NFL Comparison: Kyler Murray

9. WR DeVonta Smith, Alabama
Previous Rank: 4
Details: WR2—6'0 5/8"—175
NFL Comparison: Reggie Wayne

10. WR Jaylen Waddle, Alabama
Previous Rank: 7
Details: WR3—5'9 3/4"—182
NFL Comparison: Tyreek Hill

According to Dr. Matt Rhea, Alabama’s Director of Performance Science, Dickerson showed impressive athleticism working split squats while moving his knee. The 6-foot-6, 325-pounder displayed explosiveness in his movements, and he has strongly attacked every process of his rehab. He will have an opportunity on March 23 to turn in a marquee performance at his pro day at Alabama.

https://tdalabamamag.com/2021/02/25/...recovery-knee/

11 hours ago, TJJackson said:

wait....I coulda swore you are (or were) both anti-Pitts and anti-TE-in-this-draft.....so what gives, dude?

(Waddle and Smith are less surprising additions)

I posted a few weeks ago I was thawing. But only if chase and Sewell are gone. The mocks that have him picked ahead of those two piss me off.

Fair eno

I look at it like this......I might be ok with Pitts at about 15, but if we trade down that far I'd rather have Slater or Darrisaw

so I really dont have a scenario where Pitts is still maybe (big maybe) available and also no other player preferred.....I dont see him lasting past 15

all that said, I can see him being as or more effective than a healthy Eifert.

we just cant pick'em all up, sadly :-)

9 hours ago, TJJackson said:

Eh, I dunno. Very unlikely but not silly. I remain confident Miami will trade down, and one or more teams trading up for QBs is at least as likely as not. We’ve seen respected draftniks predict up to 4 QBs in the top 5, so the players named aren't out of place, nor is Pitts at 5. As for the Bengals trading up to 2 for Sewell, it’s not that expensive a proposition as laid out here (a fourth this year, a second next) and if they really think he’s their guy, you can make the argument to go get him and not take chances. There’s even precedent for Cincy trading up for a non-QB at the top of the draft. That said, the Bengals’ MO is usually to let the draft come to them, there will be a good player at 5 and OL is deep, so I doubt they jump up unless they totally fall in love with Sewell.