2021 NFL Draft

I don't see anyone offering more than a 6th round pick for Sam Darnold as a reclamation project for a very very good QB Whisperer

Maybe even a compensatory 7th

On Pitts:  I do think he could help this team.  I really do.  I just think other players could help more, sorta kinda on the same line as Mem's.  If he were a PLUS blocker, I'd be far more enamored of him....but he isn't.  All that said, I'm not sold on any (yes, including Sewell and Chase) of the potential picks at 5, which makes me an even bigger fan of a tradedown

Rapien video from today

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zJhEj_3Ygxo

He says

1] take OLs in FA rather than spending pick 5 on a OL

2] only spend pick 5 on an OL if his name is Sewell

3] quality/upgrade OLs can be had as late as round 4

4] so instead of taking an OL not named Sewell at 5, take one of the 4 receivers:  Chase, Waddle, Smith, or Pitts.  He doesnt seem to name a favorite of the 4.

5] Add OLs in rounds 2,3, or 4 if not handled in FA

In the mocks that go into (or beyond) the 3rd or 4th round, I will say I am seeing good OLs going in the third. 

Like Creed Humphrey

Mostly interior guys, but hey, we need interior OL badly too so thats no problem

4th a bit less so, as is normal and expected, but our 4th round pick is so early in the round its not much different than a 3rd round compensatory pick in value

GIMME Meinerz in round 5, as a footnote

COB -- Michael Onweyu went in the 6th round last year - to the Pats - and was the second highest graded rookie lineman. He was fantastic. Bengals fucked up by passing on him in the 5th and 6th. There are, for sure, good lineman in this draft in the 3rd and 4th rounds who are better than what we are currently running out there. 

Pff simulator - I did no trades, played it straight, came out with this. I would imagine even COB and TJ would be okay with this:

1st round 5th overall --- Ja'Marr Chase, WR LSU
2nd round 37th overall -- Alijah Vera-Tucker, IOL/OT, USC
3rd round 69th overall -- Daviyon Nixon, IDL, Iowa
4th round 110th overall -- Quinn Meinerz, IOL, Wisc Whitewater
5th round 150th overall --- Jaylen Twyman, Edge/IDL, Pitt
6th round 191st overall --- Charles Snowden Edge/OLB, Virginia
7th round 231st overall --- Tony Fields II, LB, West Virginia
7th round 233rd overall --- JaCoby Stevens, S, LSU

2 hours ago, membengal said:

Pff simulator - I did no trades, played it straight, came out with this. I would imagine even COB and TJ would be okay with this:

1st round 5th overall --- Ja'Marr Chase, WR LSU
2nd round 37th overall -- Alijah Vera-Tucker, IOL/OT, USC
3rd round 69th overall -- Daviyon Nixon, IDL, Iowa
4th round 110th overall -- Quinn Meinerz, IOL, Wisc Whitewater
5th round 150th overall --- Jaylen Twyman, Edge/IDL, Pitt
6th round 191st overall --- Charles Snowden Edge/OLB, Virginia
7th round 231st overall --- Tony Fields II, LB, West Virginia
7th round 233rd overall --- JaCoby Stevens, S, LSU

no linebackers please

gimme a speed CB (preferred) or WR there instead, preferably with above average PRKR or other special teams skills

mostly good, but why Tucker (played OT, but probably a OG in the NFL) instead of a OT? should have been a good one at or close to 37 still

I think Senior Bowl Practice Week Boy can be had in round 5

yes, I am nitpicking like crazy here:-)

He can prob play both. But assume we got a T in FA. And in the mock I did, there were NO tackles available at that point. There had been a huge run on them and he was by far the best available on the board at line. 

fair eno then. 

not gonna deny we need OGs badly as well, and the versatility it also welcome. 

I could bitch that you didnt trade up to get a OT but we cant afford to lose a pick either, even one of the two 7s

aside: I think this is the longest we've gone without me frustrating you so much you left the boards for a while.  Hope we can keep this up, dude. :-)

On 2/20/2021 at 12:34 PM, COB said:

Ok.  Delusional as hell.  

This.    One thing overall Bengal fans haven't learned or can't admit.   The existence of Bobby Hart on this roster for so long IS..... it really isn't that easy to replace a whipping boy.

This O-line class is supposed to be deep, BUT other teams scout too.   In 2019 the 2nd round run on OL and the inability to trade landed them to Jordan.   Jordan once thought to be a steal has been a nightmare pass protecting.  

In this golden class of OL there will be first round guys that struggle out of the gate. 

Its possible to find diamonds in the rough and instant starters, I guess.   The realistic view is, IMO, if you are drafting a 3rd/4th guy and then starting him in TC.   Joe Burrow is going to see a lot of pressure from that spot.  

Bengals need to hit the FA market in OL.   If they don't then it has to be tackle No. 5 or a trade down plan that's landing them multiple OL draft prospects in the top 50.