2020 Bengals Draft Grade

TJJackson

The 7th rounder isnt in yet as I type this, but it really isnt gonna change anything

Love Burreaux.  Not to the Mem level, and certainly not to the amourous escapades level of COB, but there is just so much to love about New Guy and thats even before you look at his tape and stats

I like both of the LBs even though they came from small schools

I like the overall focus on high character.....these guys are coming into a very, very bad situation and strength of character will be tested mightily

but

The failure to acquire decent help for the OLine and ergo protect the investment in New Guy is like building a mansion next to a live volcano .....it is damning

Overall:  C-

Solid B.

Logan Wilson is a heck of a player, could be a great leader for that room.

The conservative approach to this draft bothers ne.  At several points in the draft the Bengals were a pick or two from the right player at the right position and just didn't make the call.

2 minutes ago, TJJackson said:

I am presuming they'll bring a UDCFA or two as they do in most seasons to compete as a LS

Oddly enough, Miami did use a late draft pick on a LS

https://www.palmbeachpost.com/sports/20200425/nfl-draft-miami-dolphins-select-long-snapper-blake-ferguson-in-sixth-round

Yes that was who I wanted. Go look through the draft board if you doubt me!

meanwhile, in draft trivia...

I'm giving a B+. Honestly, I haven't done much draft research outside the prospects supposed to go in the first 2 rounds. I like that PFF gave us an A, however.

Favorite addition: Joe Burrow. Of course. I've been following him with Mem since October. Cant' wait to see him play.

Favorite pick: Tee Higgins. Dude is a player. Period. Great value here.

Other thoughts: I actually like they went aggressive with the LBs. That would have never happened under Melvin. Will it pay off? Dunno. But I like the differences I see in Zac Taylor.

I guess it just depends on how the o-line is viewed, but we’ve already established that the coaches weren’t lying when they said they liked it as is.

If you still don’t believe it, then the argument is... would you rather have had Josh Jones over Logan Wilson in the 3rd (I could see that argument) or maybe Logan Sternberg over ADG (possibly)...

Either way, we’ve got what we’ve got...

Evan Silva is not impressed:

Overview: Burrow gives Cincinnati a realistic chance at a quick offensive turnaround with A.J. GreenJoe MixonTyler Boyd, and John Ross returning. The Bengals’ draft went downhill from there. A vertical receiver at Clemson whose game may not translate with mid-4.5s speed and a 31-inch vertical, Higgins was a disappointing selection with USC WR Michael Pittman, Louisiana OG Robert Hunt, TCU DT Ross Blacklock, Boise State OL Ezra Cleveland, and Baylor WR Denzel Mims still available. Offensive line was a bigger Bengals need than both receiver and off-ball linebacker, the latter of which Cincinnati arguably overkilled with three members of its seven-man class. Wilson does look likely to contribute positively soon, albeit at a devalued position. Kareem lacked production in South Bend. Adeniji is a legitimate late-round sleeper as a tackle-to-guard conversion with plus length and better-than-advertised athleticism. The Bengals got a lot better on draft weekend solely by virtue of Burrow’s addition, but I don’t think they maximized their other picks from a value standpoint in terms of draft slot and positional impact.

Grade: C+

25 minutes ago, HoosierCat said:

Evan Silva is not impressed:

Overview: Burrow gives Cincinnati a realistic chance at a quick offensive turnaround with A.J. GreenJoe MixonTyler Boyd, and John Ross returning. The Bengals’ draft went downhill from there. A vertical receiver at Clemson whose game may not translate with mid-4.5s speed and a 31-inch vertical, Higgins was a disappointing selection with USC WR Michael Pittman, Louisiana OG Robert Hunt, TCU DT Ross Blacklock, Boise State OL Ezra Cleveland, and Baylor WR Denzel Mims still available. Offensive line was a bigger Bengals need than both receiver and off-ball linebacker, the latter of which Cincinnati arguably overkilled with three members of its seven-man class. Wilson does look likely to contribute positively soon, albeit at a devalued position. Kareem lacked production in South Bend. Adeniji is a legitimate late-round sleeper as a tackle-to-guard conversion with plus length and better-than-advertised athleticism. The Bengals got a lot better on draft weekend solely by virtue of Burrow’s addition, but I don’t think they maximized their other picks from a value standpoint in terms of draft slot and positional impact.

Grade: C+

It’s about damn time somebody grew a pair and have guts to not grade a draft A or B. 

Don’t disagree about Line being a need and it not being addressed is a critical point.  However Higgins was rated above Mims and Pittman so I’m not sure he’s on point with that. 

I’m not sure the Bengals could over kill LB picks either.   

Walter gave them a C+ as well:

The Bengals obviously improved their roster with Joe Burrow, but I wasn't a fan of their draft overall. I was disappointed that they didn't address their offensive line until the sixth round. That was a huge mistake because protecting Burrow will be essential. Sure, they get Jonah Williams back from injury, but they also lost Cordy Glenn this offseason. That's a lateral move, at best, so Burrow is likely to struggle with protection as a rookie. It would be a shame if Burrow got hurt because Cincinnati couldn't figure out that it had to shield its rookie quarterback. 

Rather than reaching on Tee Higgins, who can't separate, the Bengals should've selected a pass protector at No. 33. The other picks were fine - the linebackers were nice choices, and they will help the Bengals not be completely embarrassed by Lamar Jackson for a change - but I can't help but be underwhelmed by what the Bengals accomplished outside of obtaining their franchise quarterback, who just fell into their laps because the Dolphins won some meaningless games late in the year.

I hate the talk about some receivers not running in the 4.3’s equaling garbage. While some have called Higgins’ 4.5 40 into question, that’s simply not his game. He’s big, has long arms and has great body control to make contested catches.

Want that guy the QB can count on to go up and get one ?? Yeah Burrow has that guy in Higgins along with others on the roster.

Someone remind me how fast Chad ran his 40 again... His game was his quickness not pure straight line speed. He did however continue to work on his craft through his time in Cincinnati. No reason to think Higgins won’t be able to do the same.

Still love the pick.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, HoosierCat said:

Walter gave them a C+ as well:

The Bengals obviously improved their roster with Joe Burrow, but I wasn't a fan of their draft overall. I was disappointed that they didn't address their offensive line until the sixth round. That was a huge mistake because protecting Burrow will be essential. Sure, they get Jonah Williams back from injury, but they also lost Cordy Glenn this offseason. That's a lateral move, at best, so Burrow is likely to struggle with protection as a rookie. It would be a shame if Burrow got hurt because Cincinnati couldn't figure out that it had to shield its rookie quarterback. 

Rather than reaching on Tee Higgins, who can't separate, the Bengals should've selected a pass protector at No. 33. The other picks were fine - the linebackers were nice choices, and they will help the Bengals not be completely embarrassed by Lamar Jackson for a change - but I can't help but be underwhelmed by what the Bengals accomplished outside of obtaining their franchise quarterback, who just fell into their laps because the Dolphins won some meaningless games late in the year.

Cordy Glen was not very good and didn’t play a whole lot.  If Jonah Williams is a lateral move “at best” then we got problems.

Clearly this guy is assuming Cordy Glenn is still the same player from his high point 4 years ago.