Offensive Line Draft Talk Thread

membengal

I don’t like a top 5 OT with short arms.  Especially as others are saying on the board who seem to know more that this is not a guy like Joe Thomas or Jonah who overcomes with technique.  And is Sewell 6’4 or 6’6.   It’s another big difference. 

I have to say, even though I keep hearing about how he impressed at the ProDay, those results are good but not nearly as exceptional as I expected.   I was already on the team bandwagon for Pitts or Chase, this just reserved my seat for the rest of the ride.

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, Wraith said:

I have to say, even though I keep hearing about how he impressed at the ProDay, those results are good but not nearly as exceptional as I expected.   I was already on the team bandwagon for Pitts or Chase, this just reserved my seat for the rest of the ride.

Pretty much where I am at. 

I had been having some reservations about Sewell for a while, to the point where Slater was for a time my preferred choice

I still want protection for New Guy first and foremost above all else, and since I am not necessarily getting more of that with a pick at 5 than a pick at 10 or 15, I will keep my seat on the Tradedown Train. 

I figure a trade down to 10-15 or so will net a very good OL (Vera-Tucker, Slater, Darrisaw, or perhaps even Sewell, after today)  plus an extra 2 plus either a 2/3 next year or a 3/4 this year, which can be turned into more and better quality blockers for New Guy - or at least that second passrushing DE we need

6 hours ago, membengal said:

Here's my worry w/ the short arms thing - he's not a technician. At all. Not at this point in his development. He is all projection there. Joe Thomas overcame short arms from being a technician from the jump. That's...not Sewell. It is Slater. 

I am now firmly:

Chase
Tradedown
Pitts

as my only preferred options at 5. 

This post is an outrage!  

Sewell being dinged for arm length is a typical example of combine/measurable stuff obscuring the truth of what we really want from these guys.  We want them to play football well. Sewell plays great.  

This tide of anti Sewell sentiment is rolling in like a tsunami, threatening to wash away the best chance we have had to really improve our line in a long time.

We sucked last year primarily because we couldn’t block.  We’ve sucked since Whit left because we haven’t been able to block anyone since.  

I’m all for BPA, but need has to be worked in there somewhere.  With all respect to you guys saying there are good tackles further down in like the second or third round, those morons down at PBS basically have to be handed a fucking all pro or they can’t do jack shit.  They could EASILY blow it trying to find a serviceable tackle in the second round.  Like you all, I also want to have Ja’marr Chase’s baby, but how will we all feel next October, sitting on our couches holding our Ja’marr Chase babies, watching some steroid-fueled maniac pound Joe’s head into the turf at PBS because Bobby Hart (yes he’ll probably end up back here) couldn’t even reach his guy after the snap?  

My instincts tell me the arm length gripe is analogous to Burrow’s small hands.

I won’t die on that hill just yet though. I’m sure someone somewhere has compiled the data necessary to show at least some correlation between arm length and OT performance. I’d like to see that.

Sewell has multiple warts, he hasnt got much tape against A-1 quality DE's.  Slater does.

He didnt blow away the measurables at his pro day.  Chase and Pitts did

There are many talking heads that now consider Sewell the #2 or even #3 OT in the draft.

Chase or Trade down for me

• Like 1

You don’t need data. Long armed defenders can get into chest of shorter armed tackles and badly unbalance them and control them. It isn’t fatal, can be handled with great technique. But, again, we are talking about a top five pick. There’s projection needed for Sewell because technique isn’t his strong point yet. That may matter for this discussion, especially in a year with a deep o-line pool and immediate help at RG available at 38.

arm length may matter at T. My guess is Sewell can be taught what he needs to be fully awesome. But that’s no guarantee. There’s a big question there. We are at 5. I want as few questions as possible. 

People were freaking out over Jonahs arms and they were half an inch longer. And he had a reputation as a master technician. Sewell needs work there. 

I will henceforth refer to Sewell as “ Pixie Arms Penei”.

He’d still be a fine pick. That said he didn’t do anything yesterday to move me off Chase at 5.

And we all realize it won’t matter anyhow, right? Based on our recent track record with first round picks, whoever is chosen will blow out a knee or tear a labrum or sneeze and their nose falls off or something else that puts them on IR before the season even begins. Which is another reason to wait until 38 to take a tackle I suppose...

Heard from Sewell again.  His mom put it on for him (they both think it’s a personal hyperbaric chamber to speed recovery) but now his arms are so short he can’t take a vid selfie with his phone.  Also can’t get the gas mask bong off because his mom went to the store.  

• Haha 1

11 hours ago, ShulaSteakhouse said:

Has a team ever drafted a college QB/WR duo, with 2 of their top 5 picks, before?  I'm guessing not.  Or the 2 best starting WR's from each team in a National Championship game, plus the winning QB, in back-to-back years? 

Bengals took both WRs off FSU one year but didn’t get the QB.  I think it was National Champ team. 

Although Coles was considered #2 to Warrick.   The Bengals got the 3rd can’t remember his name. 

Williams has been dogged by the pundits for being a better fit at guard. Because of arm length. 

Well all world Sewell has shorter arms and just a bit longer than Slater who has also been dogged by “guard” talk. 

They still can be awesome tackles but it’s hard to pass on Pitts or Chase, IMO. 

I think group think locking Sewell in at 5 to Bengals is the factor keeping him that high. 

If they pass he’s probably a top 10-15 pick maybe.  Truth will be had on draft day. 

6 minutes ago, AMPHAR said:

Bengals took both WRs off FSU one year but didn’t get the QB.  I think it was National Champ team. 

Although Coles was considered #2 to Warrick.   The Bengals got the 3rd can’t remember his name. 

Ron Dugans I believe.  But yeah the Bengals', unsurprisingly, are probably the team to be the closest to doing that.  Talk about a franchise with a WR/QB fetish.

2 minutes ago, AMPHAR said:

Williams has been dogged by the pundits for being a better fit at guard. Because of arm length. 

Well all world Sewell has shorter arms and just a bit longer than Slater who has also been dogged by “guard” talk. 

They still can be awesome tackles but it’s hard to pass on Pitts or Chase, IMO. 

I think group think locking Sewell in at 5 to Bengals is the factor keeping him that high. 

If they pass he’s probably a top 10-15 pick maybe.  Truth will be had on draft day. 

It just makes more sense this year to get your OT depth in round 2, considering the deep class.   Sewell taking last year off may or may not have helped his cause, if anything I think it hurt him if he's really that good.  I bet o-line coaches love him, just a big, angry mauler with the athleticism to match today's Edge rushers, and can play anywhere.  If Chase is off the board I would lean towards him - especially if he can step-in on day one and play LG.  What a boon to that line he could be.  It's still very appealing I think, as much as is Chase. (I am not high on Pitts at #5 - Chase and Sewell are more needed IMO).