Offensive Line Draft Talk Thread

membengal

IMO,  there's a better chance of a immediate starting OL at pick 38 vs. WR.    Terrance Marshall seems to be the line drawn at the last of the elite and  I don't think he will last until then.

If they want to add to the passing game and the roster numbers also support that pick.   Then I think they should take the better of who they like and who's available out of Pitts, Chase, Waddle and Smith.

I also think Melvin Ingram is worth kicking the tires on for FA.   Getting bodies at guard is of course a priority. 

Here was Mel Kiper's pick in his latest mock (he passed on Sewell and Chase to do this): 

Here was his paragraph on the pick;

5. Cincinnati Bengals

Kyle Pitts, TE, Florida

All along, I've thought it was going to be an offensive tackle here, but if Pitts and wide receiver Ja'Marr Chase are on the board, can the Bengals really pass them up? Joe Burrow has to get more playmakers around him. I think Pitts is just too good, and he would instantly upgrade this offense. He is one of the most talented tight ends I've ever graded, and there are people in the NFL who think he could be the second-best prospect in this class. With a deep offensive line class, Cincinnati could likely find a starting tackle or guard at the top of Round 2.

Notable free-agent additions: DE Trey Hendrickson, CB Mike Hilton, CB Chidobe Awuzie, DT Larry Ogunjobi, OT Riley Reiff

Notable free-agent losses: DE Carl Lawson, CB William Jackson III, WR A.J. Green, DT Geno Atkins, OT Bobby Hart

1 hour ago, membengal said:

Here was Mel Kiper's pick in his latest mock (he passed on Sewell and Chase to do this): 

I normally hate Kiper but I have nothing to complain about here.  Kyle Pitts on this team with this QB would be explosive and while I think Penei Sewell is a terrific talent LT does not move the needle like a uber talented skill position player.

Kyle Pitts mixes with Burrow's game so well.   His ability to find open space matched with his catch radius and ability to make contested catches would be a great thing to watch in Cincinnati.

He's such a mismatch problem for a defense and his ability to adjust when a QB is in trouble helps tremendously in pass pro. 

Willing blocker makes his only weakness not a concern. 

The guy was very AJ Green like in terms of impact.   When he was on the field the QB was producing Burrow like numbers.   When he wasn't the QB struggled. 

AJ got tagged for a suspension in college for selling a jersey or something.  Georgia was completely different offense when he returned.

He's going to be tough to pass on at 5.

34 minutes ago, AMPHAR said:

Kyle Pitts mixes with Burrow's game so well.   His ability to find open space matched with his catch radius and ability to make contested catches would be a great thing to watch in Cincinnati.

He's such a mismatch problem for a defense and his ability to adjust when a QB is in trouble helps tremendously in pass pro. 

Willing blocker makes his only weakness not a concern. 

The guy was very AJ Green like in terms of impact.   When he was on the field the QB was producing Burrow like numbers.   When he wasn't the QB struggled. 

AJ got tagged for a suspension in college for selling a jersey or something.  Georgia was completely different offense when he returned.

He's going to be tough to pass on at 5.

Not to mention his presence will pull coverage away from Boyd and Higgins and make them better plus reducing the number of defenders available to rush the passer which will improve the run game and the oline.  There is a reason why All-Pro TEs are on Super Bowl teams.  KC's offense runs through Kelce, SF's ran through Kittle and the offense fell apart last year when he was not there.  NE ran through Gronk and before that Gronk and Hernandez.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Wraith said:

I normally hate Kiper but I have nothing to complain about here.  Kyle Pitts on this team with this QB would be explosive and while I think Penei Sewell is a terrific talent LT does not move the needle like a uber talented skill position player.

Anthony Munoz, his HOF plaque and his 2 SuperBowl appearances, would like to have a word with you out in the hall.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, COB said:

More weapons?

My memory of last year was Burrow dropping back and having guys in his face immediately, like instantly.  Could have had Jerry Rice and Gronk on the field for most of his drop backs and it wouldn’t have mattered.  

Eh, give me Jerry Rice. 

Tom Brady was protected in New England.   Wanted to leave because the skill positions were bare.  

It's a two way street.    To get full value out of Burrow the Bengals need to protect AND give him high value targets.  

Really no argument here, IMO.    Anthony Munoz would make a huge difference as would Jerry Rice. 

None of this ever operates in silo. 

Drafting at #5 overall with lots of needs...take the BPA. Don’t over complicate it. For example don’t pass on the best player to get your need filled expecting your target 2nd round pick to be there. Don’t get cute. Just take the BPA. In the top 5 this should be the strategy. 

• Like 1

Just now, cincyhokie said:

Drafting at #5 overall with lots of needs...take the BPA. Don’t over complicate it. For example don’t pass on the best player to get your need filled expecting your target 2nd round pick to be there. Don’t get cute. Just take the BPA. In the top 5 this should be the strategy. 

So who you ranking? 

Sewell

Chase

Pitts

-- My three.  I mean maybe something's come out about Sewell that changes that.  But I also think a trade-down is VERY much in-play and will be going forward.  If 4 QB's actually do come-off the board with the top picks, or even 3, there should be some clamoring for players at #5 who aren't Qb's.  I trade down as far as 8-10 if it means another 1st or 2nd round pick this year, and get a lineman.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, membengal said:

Quinton Spain is back. Prob our LG (his natural spot).

OLG is also XSF's spot, so I guess they'd have to battle it out?

Right now, I'd project Spain as the ORG as the particular spot is, well, the cupboard is bare

I ultimately see XSF and Spain as quality backups, not starters, so hopefully they get a starter in here soon

8 minutes ago, ShulaSteakhouse said:

So who you ranking? 

Sewell

Chase

Pitts

-- My three.  I mean maybe something's come out about Sewell that changes that.  But I also think a trade-down is VERY much in-play and will be going forward.  If 4 QB's actually do come-off the board with the top picks, or even 3, there should be some clamoring for players at #5 who aren't Qb's.  I trade down as far as 8-10 if it means another 1st or 2nd round pick this year, and get a lineman.

Those are my top 3 as well. I'd be curious to see if they would do a trade down. I don't think they will as from what I know of this team, the trade downs have been when they've had a mid to late round pick. I definitely won't hate it if they trade down. I just don't think they'll do it.

What if a team like the Panthers or Broncos want to move from 8-9 to 5 because their top QB falls? What if Sewell goes to the Dolphins and Chase to the Falcons? The Bengals trade down to 8 when Fields drops. Then grab Pitts at 8 and a decent OL and WR in the 2nd? That would be a nice surprise. Not likely but something to consider. Especially if both Sewell and Chase are gone by 5.

3 hours ago, Wraith said:

That's where I disagree. While it's not a simple task to provide conclusive evidence of the following assertion, I am pretty comfortable saying that beyond QB, there is no position on either side of the ball that correlates with winning (and winning Super Bowls) versus losing more than blindside OT. I don't think either WR or TE are even close, to be honest.

I reference this excellent article by WindyCity Gridiron.

https://www.windycitygridiron.com/2021/2/24/22300475/positional-value-and-the-nfl-draft

and this by PFF:

https://www.pff.com/news/draft-why-positional-value-matters-in-the-nfl-draft

After QB from a positional impact perspective DE, WR and CB are the most important positions contributing to Wins and Losses in the modern-day NFL (i.e. those positions that directly affect the passing game).  Now, the first article appears to argue against my point but based solely upon observation, the role of the TE appears to be shifting in the NFL as much more of a hybrid position than has been previously.  If you consider Kyle Pitts at TE (as is done in the first article) he is the 21st best prospect in the draft, if you consider Kyle Pitts as a WR, with the modifier, he is the 4th best prospect, right behind Ja'Marr Chase.  On this team with the collection of players we have and the person we have at QB you could definitely make the argument that Kyle Pitts is the best non-QB Prospect in this draft for the Bengals.  Either way, both Chase and Pitts (again provided you consider Pitts a WR) are rated better prospects than Penei Sewell..  

I also expect the Dolphins to draft Sewell at #3 so I expect this is a moot point.  I believe #1 and #2 are Lawrence and Wilson.  If Miami goes Sewell or trades the pick to a QB hungry team like Carolina then the Falcons will have a hard choice, the position they most need is CB but they also need a QB to groom with their new FO and new HC.  I think at #4 the Falcons will be hard pressed to pass on Fields if he is still there. So let's mock this out.

Jags take Lawrence at #1, no brainer.

Jets take Zach Wilson at #2, equally a no brainer in my opinion. 

Dolphins will take Chase or Sewell provided no-one offers a blockbuster deal to trade down.  Here we are mocking Sewell.

Atlanta takes local boy Justin Fields (Fields grew up in Kennesaw, Georgia and started his college career at UGa before transferring to OSU)

At # 5 we are left with four choices, Take Chase, Take Pitts, Take Slater, or Trade Down with someone desperate for Trey Lance.  The Bengals are historically conservative in situations like this, I do not believe they will be tempted by any offer if there is a talent they like on the board.  As I have said before Slater would be a wasted pick here....not that he isn't a very good prospect but he is not markedly better than a player they could get at the top of the second IMHO.  So then it comes down to Chase or Pitts and honestly, if it comes down to that choice....I let Joe Burrow turn in the ticket.  He knows both guys, he played on the same team as Chase and on the same field as Pitts and he knows probably better than anyone which player - I take which ever he wants as they are both excellent prospects.

At the end of the day, if the Bengals end up with Sewell, Chase or Pitts at 5, I am a very happy man.  Anyone else and I will be throwing things at the TV.  (Poor TV hates the NFL Draft....I have put it through so much)

14 minutes ago, Stripes said:

The corner position is almost irrefutably upgraded this offseason. I feel very good about the entire secondary at least on paper. They may lack a top-tier #1 corner, but they're average-to-solid everywhere (and Bates is a top-tier safety).

He is indeed better than Sims.