Offensive Line Draft Talk Thread

membengal

Need to try and pick-up another 2nd rounder next year if they can move down a spot or two in the top 5, and still take Sewell.  Taylor is probably a year away from being fired, unless he hires a real coaching staff and wins some games, so can only hope they draft well and at least develop a new core properly, for whomever.

Patriots might have 7 top 150 draft picks this year due to compensatory picks, but their highest is 15.  

To get best trade down value they definitely need a 3rd QB to materialize.  

Unfortunately teams with multiple first rounders are Jets/Jags/Phins.  As it stands now there’s no need for them to trade to get QB 

Given the need and the prospect it might be hard to find a deal that makes sense.  

Yeah, I keep seeing people talking about trading down “for a pile of picks” and I keep asking “with who” and “for who” without a really clear answer. Assuming Lawrence and Fields go 1-2, which seems the conventional wisdom at the moment, who is that special player worth trading multiple first and second rounders to go up and grab? I see plenty of good players, but not the kind of hall of fame lock guy it would take to trigger such a move.

I’m not saying don’t trade down, but it takes two to tango and I don’t see an obvious dance partner yet.

There is a ton of draft analysis that put Sewell at the top of last year's class.   Last year's class is looking damn good.    Thomas, Becton,Wills, and Wirfs are putting in big performances.  The respective drafting teams are throwing around future Pro Bowler etc.   Factor in Jonah a 2nd year player by name BUT a first year player was having a positive impact too.

These guys were drafted 4, 10,11,13

Austin Jackson drafted 18th just returned to the line up and was given a "solid" description against the Bengals

So that's a big positive for Sewell.    Aside from having a trade down partner they need the tackles or prospects behind Sewell to grade out like last years class.   Becton was a big riser at this time last year he was considered 2nd round. 

Pending how the class grades after Sewell clearly drives how far you would be willing to drop.   However he may just be too good to pass up.  But you got to nail the pick and have good fortune.

Looks like Jonah Williams probably did not tear any ligaments in his knee, they’re saying probably a sprain.  Likely done for the year.

But with no surgery, he won’t have a long time off, won’t have a long rehab that could cut into next year.  Very good news.

Good news re Jonah

Re Sewell, yep, he’s a blue-chipper, no doubt. But the early read appears to be it’s a rich OL draft. Just as an example take the draft network’s big board. They have 6 tackles and 4 IOL currently ranked in the top 32 and two more of each with second round grades. Great news for us objectively, but if there really is that much oline talent coming in April it lessens the pressure for a team to move up.

I would love Sewell, and I think a Burrow-Sewell-Jonah offensive core could be fantastic. Still, I’m more receptive to trade down ideas this year than I was last. With QB taken care of, I wouldn’t mind a haul of picks to start shoring up the 800 holes in this roster. The Sewell hype is long-standing enough that I’d expect enough interest for at least some trade chatter.

I’m also not convinced Fields makes it all the way to draft day as the obvious presumptive #2 he’s been this year. If that slips even a little it opens some interesting doors.

9 hours ago, HoosierCat said:

Yeah, I keep seeing people talking about trading down “for a pile of picks” and I keep asking “with who” and “for who” without a really clear answer.

Understood. 

For me, the thought process is more about preference than actual right now.  Do I have a trade partner in mind?  No, rather I hope the Bengals have meaningful discussions with whatever teams (if any) do want to trade up.  If no good offers materialize....well, then you select third, np

1 hour ago, COB said:

Agree about Fields.  I’ve watched all his games at OSU and he doesn’t strike me as being worthy of even a top 16 pick, let alone number 2.  

The draft network algorithm is all about the trade downs. It’s delightful. See my post in the draft thread. I came out of one mock with 17 picks, and 21 picks in the next mock. So fun. So unrealistic. But you can get an idea where the draft is deep (OT, Edge, IDL) and where it is really not (WR - at least if you want something other than a slot).

• Like 1

5 hours ago, TJJackson said:

Understood. 

For me, the thought process is more about preference than actual right now.  Do I have a trade partner in mind?  No, rather I hope the Bengals have meaningful discussions with whatever teams (if any) do want to trade up.  If no good offers materialize....well, then you select third, np

Oh, I’m not expecting an answer really either. And I agree with everything you wrote. Just noting that a trade isn’t the easy peasy option it’s sometime made out to be. 

12 hours ago, HoosierCat said:

Oh, I’m not expecting an answer really either. And I agree with everything you wrote. Just noting that a trade isn’t the easy peasy option it’s sometime made out to be. 

Bengals needing an impact starter with first rounder complicates it too. 

I think you need the Bears to suck enough to drive their original pick up into the top 10.   Then need a 3rd QB to emerge but not a 4th.   Then obviously good depth at the Bengals need pick spots to make it happen.

I think Bears can suck enough to get to 7 is the last analysis I read.   Then with a deep O-line class (assumption at this point) Bengals drop down 4 spots for an extra 2nd rounder.   Bears might also pick up compensatory picks as well.

The Patriots are a candidate because they can sweeten their low first rounder (teens) with several 3rds/4ths.   But the Bengals have to be convinced there is similar quality in the first round at 15.

Not easy.  

12 hours ago, HoosierCat said:

I agree with everything you wrote

Lead with that next time *huge chimpanzee grin*

We have the 3rd pick in hand, assume we dont go blow it by beating Dallas, so I am hoping their are suitors bearing many hole-filling gifts but of course no way to know if that'll occur. 

That said -- It has occurred in some previous years, like Ditka offerring his entire draft for a ganja fiend, so I have basis to believe in the possibility :-)

• Like 1