Third Round Pick: Logan Wilson, LB, Wyoming

HoosierCat

16 minutes ago, TJJackson said:

hey mem, I haven't hated a pick so far........

must be something wrong with me :-)

Do you have the Covid?  Might need to get you tested...

Speaking of covid - in this summer where nothing will be normal and teams won't have OTAs and will need to rely on the players to work out diligently on their own, a through line for all three picks is that are each really high character players. The team won't need to worry about their preparation etc. That's not insignificant...

Another thing that stands out....

All Great character guys, team leaders, team captains actually all three were team Captains last year (Wilson the last three seasons if I remember correctly).

Not a knucklehead among them.  Betta Prince Tega is the pick to start the 4th, he fits the mold.

• Like 1

You can totally see that Wilson started out as a DB when you watch his highlights - 240 pounds but totally instinctive reactions to where and how to cover. Explains the 10 ints in his college career. 

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, AMPHAR said:

Bucky Brooks day they’ve had the best draft or something like that. 

There’s not a whole lot to complain about so far. I mean, it was basically an A draft the minute they took Burrow. I think it’s clear Wilson was a pure need pick after their hopes for a backer at 33 were dashed, but Higgins is a stud who also filled a need and was great value to boot. You can ding them for ignoring OL for so long, but if you swap out a lineman for Higgins or Wilson, then they’ve ignored WR or LB. Hopefully they can find a good project to develop here on day 3.

• Thanks 1

I desperately wanted them to trade up and get Queen.  He’s an nfl starter, looks Really aggressive, motivated, and physical.  

Having said all that, waiting instead and taking Higgins looks like it might have been the better move.  He could easily be the more impactful player.  

I’m impressed by the drafting so far, I’m starting to forget the idiocy of the Sample pick.  

And btw, with this new regime in there, Sample better work his ass off.  The days of your draft slot assuring you a roster spot, and even playing time, appear to be over in Cincy.  Thank goodness.

I can't help but keep going back to look at Wilson play.  I just never connected him to the Bengals.
I watch a ton of college football and while I was aware of Wilson, I didn't truly pay attention to his size and speed.
He's 6'2, 240lbs and runs a 4.63

Going back and looking at his stats, it's quite impressive.  Including he was a 3 year captain of the defense is pretty impressive in and of itself.

409 tackles
34.5 tackles for loss
7 sacks
10 INT's
5 forced fumbles
3 defensive TD's

I hate to make a comparison like this, go back and watch some of the highlights for both him and then Luke Kuechly while at Boston College.
Acknowledging Kuechly played one less season at BC, I find many similarities between the two.

Aggressive, quick (Kuechly ran a 4.58), able to cover, and able to get to the QB.
Now if we could get even 75% of what Kuechly brought to the Panthers, we are in business.

Absolutely LOVE this pick.  He's a day one starter I can't wait to see play ball for this defense !!!

• Like 1

It should be hard to evaluate his play based on stats.   The value in a coverage LB will be closing windows in zone and then running, chasing and tackling.   Hopefully with add of this nature we start to see a decline in 3rd down conversion rates and opposing QB completion percentages.   A lot of dirty work not proven out by direct stats.