1st Round Pick: Joe Burrow, QB, LSU

ArmyBengal

• 4 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

The devil is in the details, as the saying goes. Good for Mahomes, but something tells me it’s not what it’s being touted. Why tie yourself to a team for 10-12 years? If he does continue to play as he has, I’m curious how much time goes by before that contract underpays him?

Again, good for him though...

Army’s right, he’ll probably end up being underpaid if he sticks to it.  Just like our mega deal with Andy ended up being a bargain for the team.  If he stays healthy I can see KC creatively renegotiating, kind of cap friendly things like the Pats did with Brady.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
18 minutes ago, ArmyBengal said:

Oh my God, he’s totally staring down receivers and not fully selling the play fake. What were the Bengals thinking ?!?!  
BUST !!!!

Seriously, that was fucking awesome !!
But why the sports bras ??

I saw some mention of them, it’s some kind of (non-COVID-related) tracking tech. I assume it’s related to improving form and technique. But yeah they look kind of goofy.

Sitting around watching NFL network TC reports.  I’ve come to this conclusion:

We don’t want to be saying the same stuff about Burrow going into year 3 that they are saying about Mayfield and Darnold.

A lot of talk about focus, re focus, comfortable now etc.    Basically wondering if those guys are even adequate starters. 

I hope Burrow stamps himself as the “franchise” for the next 15 years this season. 

I’ve seen the same things written about those QB’s as well. I thought Mayfield was going to be a solid QB but that’s looking skeptical. I never thought much of Darnold coming out of USC and I can recall his coaches saying he should have stayed another year in college.

Burrow just strikes me different. Certainly different than those specific QB’s.

• 2 weeks later...

I like how Cowherd makes it all about him.  "Burrow hasn't reacted to me yet, Mayfield got upset." (paraphrasing) 

Burrow is a toss-up like any rookie QB ultimately, none of them are ever a sure thing, never have been, but acting like Burrow's attitude/personality is something that just dawned on him is dumb.  He's been nothing but business from day one and has never shown signs of disappointment or unprofessional behavior or laziness.  He was like that at LSU and OSU as well.

• Like 1

National Sports commentators that are "cold" or were "cold" on Burrow were viewing it through Carson Palmer eyes.  

It never had anything to do with him as a prospect.   Early draft reports mentioned questions about arm talent.  Covid struck and Joe never had a pro day to dazzle and kill that draft report.

These commentators stop at 2010 and never ever address the Dalton era which contradicts the Palmer view.

If Tobin builds a roster like the one he did for Andy.   Burrow will do great things for this franchise.

• 3 weeks later...

Keep in mind this is just 1 week.    Joe took alot of pressure and way more hits than I would like. 

However after just 1 week,  I'm not worried about Joe getting shell shocked.   If you hold him to veteran ALL-PRO QB standards he played poorly but with legit excuses.   He was constantly scanning the defense and looking to make plays.

That was my take away.   Time will tell IF Joe can generate those plays but it was complete opposite of deer in headlights and the protection was so bad many QBs would have every right to look that way.   Joe didn't.

Now we need an infusion of better line play.