1st Round Pick: Joe Burrow, QB, LSU

ArmyBengal

There are plenty of highlights which display his arm strength.
I have never been one to question that in him regardless of what anyone has to say about it.
I see better than I hear anyway.

That being said, his accuracy is freaking off the charts amazing and this is where I find myself.....
Do you want the guy that can simply heave the ball, without much thought, 60 yards through the air OR  that guy that can throw it accurately 45-50 ??

An absolutely perfect example of this is when they went against Georgia in the SEC championship game and he escapes the rush.  ( I know you've seen this)
Not only is he athletic enough to get past the defenders and put his body in position to make the throw on the run, but he launches it about 45 yards.
Even more amazing than that is the fact he puts the ball right on Jefferson, in stride, coming across the field.

Yeah, give me THAT guy !!

And for today's "Chock Full-o-Stupid" comment, I give you this nugget from ESPN's Ben Baby when discussing the Bengals schedule:

"If Burrow wins the starting job, the top overall draft pick will square off against some of the other top incoming rookies."

It was written after Dalton was released, soooooo "IF" he beats out Finley ??
Something tells me someone told this guy, "Hey you take the Bengals and put this together"...

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, HoosierCat said:

Baby is by far the worst beat writer ESPN has stuck us with, and might be just the worst period. 

He tried SO HARD to amplify the Burrow-doesn't-want-come-to-Cincinnati crap and did NOT like getting called out for it on twitter. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, membengal said:

He tried SO HARD to amplify the Burrow-doesn't-want-come-to-Cincinnati crap and did NOT like getting called out for it on twitter. 

Nope, not at all. That was the point I hit the unfollow button.

3 hours ago, ArmyBengal said:

I'm curious what's being written into the contracts knowing they might not play at least some of the games this season ??
Burrow had alluded to that as well and hence my curiosity. 

I haven’t seen anything reported on that front, but according to nfl.com the entire deal is fully guaranteed. So I guess he’s getting paid, games or no. I can see where that might be a sticking point for Mikey.

The fall out from COVID would be felt in the Salary Cap.    IF COVID shuts down attendance or the league.   The salary cap is determined by Defined Gross Revenues.       So in theory the salary cap could go backwards OR growth slowed.

This happened back when Steinbach was a FA.  The owners made a bad extension that jumped up the percentage and cap growth for a couple seasons then when a new long term agreement was reached the cap slowed (can't remember if it ever went backwards)  some teams were caught for a couple years with tough cap situations.

Now the league could step in and adjust the formula for the salary cap.

As for individual contracts; a lot of contracts have guarantees like roster, signing bonuses.   However, they don't receive salary checks until the regular season games start.   I think they get minor amounts during preseason.   It would be interesting to hear if there is anything that would disrupt those payments.   Earned roster, signing bonus would not be effected is my guess.

No relief from guaranteed payments without revenue could bankrupt some newer ownership groups.    Therefore as a minimum you can guess they'll do everything they can to at least get the games on TV to fulfill contract requirements there and get that revenue.

I'm not sure how much revenue is wrapped up in fans attending games but they can also shed some costs.     Loss of TV revenue probably goes straight to the bottom line.

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...
1 hour ago, COB said:

Error, trying to paste a tweet fro Joe burrow but can’t figure out how to do it.

Hit the share icon on the bottom right of a tweet, select copy link to tweet, come here and paste it in the reply box. It should automatically load after a few seconds unless you click paste as plain text. Then it just posts the link as text.

26 minutes ago, HoosierCat said:

Hit the share icon on the bottom right of a tweet, select copy link to tweet, come here and paste it in the reply box. It should automatically load after a few seconds unless you click paste as plain text. Then it just posts the link as text.

Pretty sure it's the one I posted. Came up for air, checked in here, and then went searching for whatever caught COB's attention. That had to be the one.

• Like 1

Myself and ArmyBengal III will be PROUDLY sporting Burrow jerseys this season.
The last jersey I bought was an Atkins one more than a few years back.

ArmyBengal Jr. is still stupid about his Houston Texans, so we support them as well.
That kid is a money pit !!!

3 hours ago, membengal said:

Pretty sure it's the one I posted. Came up for air, checked in here, and then went searching for whatever caught COB's attention. That had to be the one.

That was the one.  Remember the speech he gave at the Heisman ceremony?  This tweet is in a similar vein.  Empathy for his fellow man, particularly the little guy, the disadvantaged, the downtrodden.  Seems like a really good dude.

• Like 1