Second Round Pre-Pick Thread

Wraith

I do not want Shenault.  I just don't like his game.  Can't really pinpoint it.
Mims ??  Yeah, I like him.

Don't get me wrong... i'm not advocating for a RB in round two, just acknowledging what it.
If there is no top end LB or OT, everything else is really about equal in my mind.

WR or Safety would probably be my next thoughts, but again, i'm just not thrilled with what remains at that point.
I would be ok with a guy like Chinn or Mims I suppose, but neither of those guys are high on my list or exciting to me.

You just know the pick is going to be Zach Baun.
I won't be all pissed about it, but not excited either.

I really want one of two players there and will stick with this:
Patrick Queen, LB
Isaiah Wilson, OT

If Wilson is gone, i'm really taking a liking to Niang at the top of 3 and think he could push for playing time sooner rather than later.

• Like 1

22 hours ago, AMPHAR said:

Denzel Mims has gotten a lot of pub in the last month.   Now the Bengals have his former college position coach on staff.    I'm adding him to my wish list.

Then Wilson the OT GA.   Once was a time he was hopeful at 65.   That seems far fetched now as he could sneak in round 1 but it seems he's gonna be gone top 40 for sure.

Adding both of these to my wish list.

I love Wilson, love the whole idea of him but I think I actually like Hunt from Louisiana better  I would be fine with a LB at #33 like Baun and then Hunt at the top of Rd 3.  

The annoying part about WR is that you have $18 mil tied up in Green and spent a top 10 pick on Ross.   Going into this season we have no idea what they will give you in Burrow's first two years.

Boyd, Tate, and Erickson are all reliable targets underneath but really struggle to stretch the defense and that is a recipe for disaster for a young QB .   Allowing defenses to just pack it in and have a high degree of confidence that they won't give up a big play while selling out to get to the QB.

This is a deep class of WR and the type of speed that is projected to reach the 2nd round doesn't happen every year.     So I think you have to consider it,  IF the prospect emerges.

I will also say the boils down to TE as well.   There simply isn't a proven TE weapon that's going to make it difficult on a defense that sells out rushing the passer.  TE is a blocking aspect as long a middle of the field threat.

At the same time,  Right Tackle upgrade is needed.    Then we've seen our pass rushing weapons on defense be rendered helpless because we can cover those same areas underneath that make it hard to get to a QB.    Hopefully the Defensive adds via FA help cure this.

I agree about our current WR corps and whenever i'm doing a mock draft, I always end up taking two.
The whole approach has been speed and ability to separate.

Along with Devin Duvernay, who I love beyond the 3rd round, I also like Darrell Mooney.
I think he's too light in the ass, but he's a technician with speed to boot that could be there in the 4th.

My line of thought is simply giving Burrow another target or two that will grow with him in the system.

Some of the guys we think we have no chance at, they could be there.  Various people who blab for a living claim secret contacts at teams are saying the lack of interaction with players and teams has left the media further off base than usual.  Like people will be shocked where various guys go and don’t go.  Very mysterious!

I don’t think they’ll go OT at 33.  They’ve sent various signals indicating they’re pretty set at OL.  Plus that letter Mike wrote to a fan where he said we’ve addressed offense some in free agency, now the draft will focus on D, that indicated defense with that pick.

7 hours ago, COB said:

I don’t think they’ll go OT at 33.  They’ve sent various signals indicating they’re pretty set at OL.  Plus that letter Mike wrote to a fan where he said we’ve addressed offense some in free agency, now the draft will focus on D, that indicated defense with that pick.

That letter was pre-free agency, right?

translation of Mike’s handwritten letter of April 1, (makes me believe it’s Burrow then LB at 33)

Dear Jack, You want what all of us with the team want, a winning season, a playoff team and a super bowl victory. We are working hard to put our choices for all that in play. The team is being rebuilt with new focus on both sides of the ball. That will likely start at quarterback, and this will be a big change. On defense, we have offered free agent starters and we will emphasize defense in the draft. Our hope is that we will make good progress.

You have been a loyal fan. Thank you for the support you have shown the team. We ask you to stay with us and share what should be an exciting future with the bengals.