Will There Be a 2020 NFL Season?

HoosierCat

The numbers we are seeing continue to increase daily.  This is really no surprise to see the NFL take this action. 

In two and a half months since the first death was reported, the worldwide death toll is now above 17,000.
While concerning, i'm hoping the actions of the US government results in a lessening of the spread of the virus.

Good thing i'm a homebody that enjoys whiskey and movies.  The stay at home order works to my advantage.

41 minutes ago, ArmyBengal said:

The numbers we are seeing continue to increase daily.  This is really no surprise to see the NFL take this action. 

In two and a half months since the first death was reported, the worldwide death toll is now above 17,000.
While concerning, i'm hoping the actions of the US government results in a lessening of the spread of the virus.

Good thing i'm a homebody that enjoys whiskey and movies.  The stay at home order works to my advantage.

I know what you mean. I’ve been preparing for this my whole life. For years my wife has constantly complained that I never want to do anything on weekends, just sit around the house, and my reply has always been, I pay a thousand bucks a month for this house and I’m gonna get my money’s worth out of it! Don’t leave home? It’s a dream come true!

My only problem is that at my current rate of alcohol consumption, my liver will roll over and die in about another week.

1 hour ago, HoosierCat said:

My only problem is that at my current rate of alcohol consumption, my liver will roll over and die in about another week.

If I die from drinking too much good bourbon, I will consider that a win over the corona virus !!!

I come home, have a drink, take a shower, another drink, video games with my son, dinner and a drink, a movie with the family, and at least 1 more drink.
Good thing I stocked up before this shit hit and I don't have to go out at this point. Yeah, loving this scenario !!

• Like 1

On 3/18/2020 at 2:02 PM, ArmyBengal said:

I will readily admit I initially did not give this much thought.

Now understanding the impact of new viruses which no vaccine exists and has a large mortality rate is fucking terrifying.
Not that i'm stressing, but if you read and believe what the experts are saying, the death toll could be astronomical.

Albeit, there are many variables, but this isn't something to be taken lightly.
I go to work every day, because Veterans depend on my doing so and I won't stop.
However, I am concerned about how this moves forward.

Yea it’s crazy wear all this has gone. I’m one who has to continue to work as I work in a older folks retirement community. 

However my wife does respiratory in a big hospital here in PA and she warned me about this awhile ago. She is front line with this stuff since it effects the lungs and with breathing problems. So times here get a little stressed with 2 kids and can be tough. Hopefully all this blows by and everyone stays safe!

• Like 1

Amazing dichotomy between our response in Ohio and where I am right now, south central Texas.  In Ohio, lots of people in masks, little traffic, very noticeable change in daily life.  I was in a grocery store today in Texas, no masks, neighbors stopping to chat in the aisles, like life was normal.  Very chatty people at the checkout.  Just a very different level of stress.  One noticeable thing - signs by bread and eggs saying just take one please.  But none of the shelves were stripped like they are at home.

Ok, as of this morning, I would now place a bet firmly that the season is in jeopardy.
It could diminish and it not present a problem, but from where i'm sitting, this thing has only gotten started.
Everyone has their own perspective and approach, but I've done a complete 180 from when this all initially hit the news.

Wishing everyone just stays safe.

Just for everyone's awareness... masks don't help you from getting the virus.  It will go through them.  All of them.
They only stop large droplets from coming out when people cough and sneeze.  In other words, they only reduce the spread if the sick people are wearing them. 
That's not happening.

• Like 1

On 3/18/2020 at 12:07 PM, HoosierCat said:

I agree. Only trouble is I don’t trust the current administration to organize a garden party, much less a global pandemic response.

Weird how the response that has been to date is being praised by most, as just what was needed.

• Haha 1

I like the measures they have taken, but honestly do not think it's enough.
There has been a lack of guidelines as to what indeed is "essential".

People who want to push to resolve this sooner are lacking the understanding that they aren't in control.
I can want to see people get back to work and things go back to normal all I want.
Not acknowledging the virus doesn't make it go away.

Not saying that anyone here is suggesting that...

Let me share part of what "From where i'm sitting" looks like.

MOST ALL Detroit Michigan hospitals have taken measures to prepare, by doubling not only the regular inpatient beds, but the critical care beds as well.
The result ??  They experienced a surge in patients in (JUST ONE DAY) and not only do they and other hospitals in the area not have enough beds, they do not have enough ventilators for the critically ill patients and are closing their doors to any new patients due to the healthcare system being overwhelmed.

They estimated tripling beds still would have fallen short and have determined that the virus is much stronger than what people are anticipating.

• Sad 1

25 minutes ago, ArmyBengal said:

Let me share part of what "From where i'm sitting" looks like.

MOST ALL Detroit Michigan hospitals have taken measures to prepare, by doubling not only the regular inpatient beds, but the critical care beds as well.
The result ??  They experienced a surge in patients in (JUST ONE DAY) and not only do they and other hospitals in the area not have enough beds, they do not have enough ventilators for the critically ill patients and are closing their doors to any new patients due to the healthcare system being overwhelmed.

They estimated tripling beds still would have fallen short and have determined that the virus is much stronger than what people are anticipating.

more testing means more positives.  There is no way around getting this virus, just flattening the curve.  Which also elongates it.  The same amount of people will get it, it will just take longer for it to play out, so medical supplies can hopefully be produced to help as many as possible.

positives don't mean hospitalizations, at least it shouldn't.  The majority of us have either had it or will have it and need no medical assistance.  Please help the people that actually need medical help and don't be tested unless you feel like total crap.  These people with mild cold symptoms that have to be tested are wasting supplies, unless they have a compromised immune system.

It seems as if most of the American public have become pussies and have no common sense.

I'm not saying what people are or are not arguing and I don't care.  I can only tell you what I see / am aware of by first hand experience or what the CDC is face to face briefing us about (not the internet).

If multiple hospitals in a major metropolitan area state that tripling critical care beds (see ICU's) fell so short that those hospitals have to literally shut their doors to patients, that's a problem.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Look,  I am going to respect you all and not get into this in detail on a football forum where we all have common cause as bengals fans. so “lol, no” will be my response to any veiled attempts to defend the indefensible with the White House. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, ArmyBengal said:

I'm not saying what people are or are not arguing and I don't care.  I can only tell you what I see / am aware of by first hand experience or what the CDC is face to face briefing us about (not the internet).

If multiple hospitals in a major metropolitan area state that tripling critical care beds (see ICU's) fell so short that those hospitals have to literally shut their doors to patients, that's a problem.

Aye.

• 2 weeks later...

The season is no doubt going to be impacted. It’s only a matter of, to what degree ??

Based upon my own experiences and what I am briefed, my thoughts are that this is still the early end of things. The early thoughts were that when you start seeing numbers double in a 5 day period, that’s when things start getting more than concerning.

If you look at and if you trust the numbers, the US has more than doubled the cases and nearly doubled the deaths over the last 4 days. I don’t think there’s any way the season isn’t impacted in a significant way at this point.

Games getting canceled ?? No, not there yet but I wouldn’t be surprised if it were to happen.

Just stay safe people !!!

9 hours ago, ArmyBengal said:

The season is no doubt going to be impacted. It’s only a matter of, to what degree ??

Based upon my own experiences and what I am briefed, my thoughts are that this is still the early end of things. The early thoughts were that when you start seeing numbers double in a 5 day period, that’s when things start getting more than concerning.

If you look at and if you trust the numbers, the US has more than doubled the cases and nearly doubled the deaths over the last 4 days. I don’t think there’s any way the season isn’t impacted in a significant way at this point.

Games getting canceled ?? No, not there yet but I wouldn’t be surprised if it were to happen.

Just stay safe people !!!

Yeah, there’s some evidence that the lockdown is working, but that just points out the difficulty of easing up it. Big question is whether it behaves seasonally and we get a spike in the fall which requires another lockdown. That would definitely screw up the season.