Will There Be a 2020 NFL Season?

HoosierCat

lol,  Bob Nightengale.   

At some point you have to start questioning the over the top opinions based on COVID positive test at this point.    Yes, the dooms day opinions were rewarded in March as things came to a halt immediately.      In the summer leagues are testing more and getting more results to banter about as a result.    Deaths are down vs. the feared scenarios like Italy and New York. 

The for profit leagues are going to attempt to manager their way through at this time.   

Commissioner Rob Manfred must decide whether to delay the 2020 season, postpone it until further notice or simply hope the Miami Marlins’ outbreak is an isolated case.

Oh really, Bob?  Hit just about every scenario there didn't you?   Guess what the Comish isn't simply hoping he's falling back on their established protocols as it turns out. 

That's like the second line in his opinion article with a Headline that declares the season in jeopardy.  Good lord.    His opinion is shit.

Kentucky High School sports have been limited regulated workouts during June/July.    

Many worried the Gov. would pull the plug this week  and instead they set a full practice date and season start.  Pushed back and could still cancel but if a high school sports are giving it till Sept.  Professional leagues will for sure. 

The St. Louis Cardinals have had two players test positive for COVID-19, resulting in Major League Baseball postponing Friday afternoon's game at the Milwaukee Brewers, a source told ESPN's Jeff Passan.

That brings the number of teams being held out of action on Friday to six. The Brewers and Cardinals will join the Marlins, Philadelphia Phillies, Washington Nationals and Toronto Blue Jays as teams affected by the fallout from positive tests.

https://www.espn.com/mlb/story/_/id/29570869/source-mlb-calls-cardinals-brewers-game-due-coronavirus

It’s a lot harder to make up games in the NFL...

https://www.outkick.com/florida-texas-and-california-have-a-fraction-of-covid-deaths-of-new-york/

Rarely do you see this type of reporting.

My take away is simple.  In the beginning reporting of total cases was important because it was thought to be a predictor of hospitalizations and death. 

Now with more data.  Just reporting on number of cases is pointless. 

The All important question is ARE they using the number of cases to drive policy?   I'm not a doctor but have a lot of experience in sampling the more you test the potentially more cases you'll find, duh? 

1 hour ago, ArmyBengal said:

So people are thinking things are going to change enough in 6 weeks that we go from ZERO, to allowing some number of fans ??

Something tells me, without a huge "contribution" from the NFL, the Ohio Department of Health won't be changing course any time soon.

To each their own.  But I dropped my tickets a couple seasons ago for various reasons.  Under normal circumstances. 

Why would anybody pay full price  to go under COVID restrictions?  

I can’t figure out why they pay that much anyway. 

No tailgating?  For me, the best games to go were sell outs and rabid crowds.  Tailgates that start way too early and end way too late. 

Right now people that go are looking at a situation worse (crowd wise) than the 2011 season which was a barren waste land for most of the year except when they did 2 for 1 the final game. 

2 hours ago, HoosierCat said:

Despite me wondering why anyone would want to go with restrictions.

This is a giant overstep by government.  

I enjoy Applebee’s  happy hour.   This is the same dumb logic that has me put on a mask in my car walk 30 feet to the door.  Stand at the hostess stand for 2 minutes with mask being properly worn.   Get seated.   Unmask.  Eat/Drink for 1 hour or more.   Then remask and exit walk 30 feet to car.

Does anybody believe that’s doing jack shit? 

Fans that would go to games ARE not 100% going to sit home in isolation because they can’t attend. 

The NFL Players Association announced that 56 players have tested positive for the novel coronavirus since the opening of teams’ training camps last week, in the first set of results released publicly since the NFL and its players’ union put their testing program into effect.

The NFLPA said the results were through Wednesday. The figure represents about 2 percent of the approximately 2,600 players on training camp rosters for the 32 NFL teams.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/sports/2020/08/06/nfl-players-coronavirus-testing-results/?hpid=hp_hp-top-table-high_nfl-11am%3Ahomepage%2Fstory-ans

So far so good.

From SI:

Sources: Power 5 Conferences Moving Toward Canceling Fall Sports

PAT FORDE AND ROSS DELLENGER

12 HOURS AGO

High-level conference meetings are being planned for this week across the college football landscape with the expected resolution of postponing fall sports until 2021, multiple sources have told Sports Illustrated. 

“It’s gotten to a critical stage,” one conference commissioner told Sports Illustrated Sunday, after a conference call between the heads of the Power 5 conferences. “I think all of us will be meeting with our boards in the coming days. We have work to do that is no fun.”

Dominoes started falling in earnest Saturday when the Mid-American Conference postponed fall sports. The Big Ten followed with an announcement that it was pausing its scheduled progression to full-pads football practices. A well-placed source told SI Saturday, “I think by the end of the week the fall sports will be postponed in all conferences.”

Even that timetable might be accelerated. Sources told SI on Sunday that the Big Ten is moving toward a decision to cancel the 2020 fall season, while engaging other Power 5 conferences on a uniform decision to be announced later this week. 

Group of 5 league representatives simultaneously were conferring to align their own timelines, a source said.

Both the Pac-12 and Big 12 have calls with league presidents on Tuesday night that might present the first scheduled opportunity for Power 5 leagues to formally vote on postponement. But other calls could be scheduled earlier. 

A Big Ten presidents call to discuss the season was planned for Sunday night, SIconfirmed. Conference USA had a call previously scheduled for Wednesday, but that may be moved up, sources said. Sun Belt presidents have a regularly scheduled Tuesday morning meeting, as do AAC athletic directors. 

The move toward halting the season comes as a jarring about-face after leagues spent most of the last week finalizing football schedule models and/or releasing schedules. Any momentum toward playing those games was abruptly halted by the MAC's decision to postpone, citing health and safety concerns for athletics amid the COVID-19 pandemic. That set a precedent that the other nine Football Bowl Subdivision conferences were compelled to follow — and quickly.

"In the next 72 hours college football is going to come to a complete stop,” one industry source said.