Will There Be a 2020 NFL Season?

HoosierCat

14 minutes ago, COB said:

If this stupid ass virus robs us of our first season of Greg Cook 2.0 I’m going to buy some beakers and tubes and crap online, build a lab in our guest bathroom, and develop a vaccine myself.  

That’s the frontier spirit

WHO DEY!

Greg Cook 2.0 I love it

you know MB... Joey boy... I say, you remind me a lot of this fella Greg Cook, his name was, my pops knew...

Threw a football so sexy it would turn Raquel Welch’s nipples into stone... talk about a blonde bombshell!

I remember taking the kids to watch “Sandlot” down at Great American Ballpark. It wasn’t because I had never seen the movie, or that it was such an awesome movie. It was that you could take the family to the ballpark to see a cool baseball movie.

The kids loved it and the Reds made a bunch of money off of my family that night.

• Like 1

All through my time in the Army and no matter where I went in the world, someone would always pop off with: "You're killing me smalls".
Now I hear it from my kids and their buddies who have see the movie.  That saying will live forever.

COVID makes doing something like that a bit more cumbersome that it would have been previously, but they could limit the number of people.
Bring them into PBS with a huge TV in the endzone and show a football movie of their liking.

"Remember the Titans"
"Rudy"
"Waterboy"

I could just see Mike Brown ruining that as well and selecting: "Knute Rockne, All American" from 1940.
An instant classic featuring former President Ronald Reagan as "The Gipper".
Give the first 100 kids a hoop and stick to play with on the field...

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...

Hey, if for some reason, this COVID shit does go all heywire, forcing them to cancel the 2020 season, do the Bengals get the #1 pick again ??

COVID, COVID, COVID !!!

They would probably do some lottery thing to determine who picks where, but I was just wondering...
Yes, the offseason sucks.

• Like 2

So reports bubbling up today that several Cowboys and Texans players have tested positive (which given how Texas has half-assed its COVID response doesn’t surprise me). Apparently they are all asymptomatic which is obviously good, but also points up the testing challenge ahead.

We shut everything down and we were going to create a good testing and contact tracing infrastructure, then we didn't do jack shit and now we're doing whatever it is we're doing now.  If we get screwed out of this season I'll be irate.  

• Like 2

It will be interesting to see how the schedule interacts with the virus given regional variations in response. Right now the Northeast has about crushed it and the Midwest is getting there, but the South and West have too many states full of “masks take away muh freedomz!” loons. Bengals have trips to Miami and Houston but not until December. Hopefully they’ve got their acts together by then.

It’s not looking too good right now.  We “re-opened” based not on science or medicine but based on impatience and wishful thinking.

Now college football players are going back to campus, NBA players are getting together, baseball players and management are all meeting at the vault door for a knife fight, and the results are revealing our folly.  Guys are testing positive.  

We failed to ramp up testing or do contact tracing.  We fucking totally failed this test.  Acting like we didn’t fail it will now exacerbate the failure.  

It’s too early to say if we’ll have an NFL season, but if current trends continue, we will not.  

It's funny when people mention masks and mandating their wear when out in public.  The information is still very confusing.

We still get briefs, which recommend their use and I wear them whenever I am at work.
However, there have also been discussions about no true studies being done previous to the outbreak regarding the effectiveness of masks in this situation.
For example, there was a study brought up which showed when wearing masks, the negative pressure created when inhaling pulls more air in than a normal inhalation without a mask, which is more problematic.
Then their are the different mask types.  N95 masks form a tight seal, but only keep out particles at .30 microns and above.  Particles smaller than .30 microns would then be able to pass through even the N95 masks.
COVID measures in at .12 microns.

I honestly don't know what to believe when it comes to masking and try to be as preventative as I can be, but there are certainly questions surrounding the application.
They just need to hurry the fuck up and come up with a vaccination to get things back to normal.  I hate the term "new normal" by the way.

Just hoping everyone and their families stay safe.