Will There Be a 2020 NFL Season?

HoosierCat

I think it's all helping for sure, but here's the thing when I view any numbers that may be offered up.

None of those numbers account for people that have it, are asymptomatic, and yet are extremely contagious and capable of passing it on unknowingly.
It would be different if they were actually confirming all reported illness but they aren't.  When people call their doctors, they are being sent home to quarantine for 14 days without testing.
I think Silver may be simplifying there.  The number I tend to watch the most is how many deaths.  Again, tracking cases or tests is short sighted at best.

On April 1st there were 5100 deaths confirmed in the United States.  On April 5th, that number went to 9600.

None of this is to say that I think the world is going to end or any apocalyptic outcome is coming our way.
I am concerned however about what happens when people go back to everyday normal activities without a viable vaccine to offer.
Bottom-line for me is that I just want people to be safe and put a little thought into this.

Stay healthy my friends !!

53 minutes ago, ArmyBengal said:

I think it's all helping for sure, but here's the thing when I view any numbers that may be offered up.

None of those numbers account for people that have it, are asymptomatic, and yet are extremely contagious and capable of passing it on unknowingly.
It would be different if they were actually confirming all reported illness but they aren't.  When people call their doctors, they are being sent home to quarantine for 14 days without testing.
I think Silver may be simplifying there.  The number I tend to watch the most is how many deaths.  Again, tracking cases or tests is short sighted at best.

On April 1st there were 5100 deaths confirmed in the United States.  On April 5th, that number went to 9600.

None of this is to say that I think the world is going to end or any apocalyptic outcome is coming our way.
I am concerned however about what happens when people go back to everyday normal activities without a viable vaccine to offer.
Bottom-line for me is that I just want people to be safe and put a little thought into this.

Stay healthy my friends !!

Yup, the lack of testing is the single biggest problem and unfortunately it doesn’t look like it will be resolved any time soon.

I'm going to go ahead and say there will be a football season.  

Baseball putting forth a plan (I don't know how realistic it is) even if it doesn't work out exactly shows their resolve in conducting a season.   No matter what they end up doing its clear they are fighting against canceling the season.    

So if Baseball goes and it probably will at some point; then football will.   Then it's a question of what logistics are going to change in regards to attendance, travel etc.

College football is more a risk at this point because it is clear NCAA isn't as bold an organization with them canceling Spring sports way in advance. 

Models are now being drastically reduced downward and there's going to be the "GREAT" debate as to why, but I bet Sports come back fast but probably not as fast as they left. 

Over the last 5 days the death toll in the United States still doubled from about 8400 to 16600.

We have been briefed that it is thought that things won't be as bad here in Ohio as in other places.
I'm hopeful that trend continues elsewhere, but I won't become any more encouraged until deaths stop doubling every 5-7 days.

Maybe that happens next week, maybe next month, maybe longer.
I'm not 100% we have a full season, but the percentage is climbing for me.
I'll take that.

• Like 1

For me, I've always looked at it from that perspective as well.
On one hand, the deaths decline and restrictions are lifted, with my concern being... is it really gone ??
With no viable vaccine to stave off future occurrences, doesn't the likelihood of reoccurrence go back up dramatically ??

I've heard doctors say that they "THINK" that once you've been exposed you won't get it again, but that is a long way from being a medical fact.
What about for those that haven't been exposed ??

Again, a vaccine or treatment would go a long way for me to feel comfortable back in "normal" living conditions.
Right now, we are all hunkered down in our offices, spraying Lysol, drinking hand sanitizer (not really), and doing teleconferences.
If it can't be done via email, skype, or a phone call, then you have to wander out into the wilderness of the COVID hallways of the hospital.

• Like 1

The deaths are still up there and again, that is my number one indicator of how things are truly going.

Not quiet doubled in the last week, so there's improvement, but still not enough swing to be any less concerned than in previous weeks.
While it's nice to hear they are moving towards normalcy, I am concerned about efforts to do that too quickly.

• Like 1

Here in Indiana, Gov. Holcomb (R) just extended his stay-at-home order to May 1. He’s joined a regional group of states — Ohio, Illinois, Kentucky, Michigan, and a couple others I think — that are coordinating efforts to open back up. But he refused to give any firm date, only that he’s hopeful they can start letting up sometime in May but all the decisions will be driven by the data. There’s been a little grumbling from the legislature (where the gop has a supermajority) but at least so far everyone seems to get that until people feel safe, announcing that we’re “open” again isn’t going to matter a lot. 

We’e at 562 fatalities in about a month, which the state health department notes Is more than three times the normal number of deaths from a full seven-month flu season here.

Good look at the contingency planning going on here:

https://www.sportsbusinessdaily.com/Journal/Issues/2020/04/27/Leagues-and-Governing-Bodies/NFL-schedule.aspx

tl;dr version: In an effort to get in a full 16 game season, games could start as late as mid-October and the Super Bowl would be Feb. 28. No bye weeks, no off week before the SB.

They don’t talk about the preseason here but I’d guess it gets cancelled if things are still bad enough they have to push back the season start to October. And of course this doesn’t even contemplate the “C19 bounces back in the fall and is seasonal like the flu” scenario, in which case they could be completely screwed.

Maybe jeans are more porous than other pants.  For example....

While walking to the bathroom yesterday to take a piss I farted in the hallway.  Once I reached the bathroom (about 20 feet from release) I unzipped my fly as I stood at the urinal.
From out of nowhere (apparently my fly) came this obnoxious odor that made me turn my head in disgust. 
Apparently either the 20 feet was not enough time for dissipation or Dockers are more dense than the average pants.

I had taken a shower in the morning and had been in my office through the day (see not being physically exerted) so it wasn't my balls.
I was both disgusted and impressed at the same time.  Yes, i'm also 12 year old because I laughed all the way back to my office.

Maybe the answer to the corona virus is Dockers ??

• Like 1

Well, the NFL is going to release the schedule this Thursday night. Glad to see them going at it like the season is going to happen.

I was thinking today at work about what would happen if there was no football. I settled into my own personal level of hell, in complete darkness, devoid of any joy. Yeah, that....

NFL/College football has major revenue risk IF they don't get their games on TV.    Horse tracks are opening back up (some never closed).   They raced without fans.   

I think it's a question of whether or not you'll be able to attend the games.      If horse tracks can figure out how to handle their backside operations which are small communities that would dwarf a NFL operation then the NFL and Power 5 will find a way to get their games on TV at the very least. 

Sounds like the plan right now they're developing, is to have time-coordinated, planned/limited entrances and exits from the stadium for fans, in-seat vendor service, etc..,  in addition to reduced capacities. 

Honestly it sounds like a bunch of waiting around and limited movement, which could turn into a couple extra hours of sitting and waiting to leave or enter the stadiums.  You'll have to be really hard-core to go to a game this year, unless something changes.

With the ability to test players in intervals, I don't know that they'll be at much risk, plus they're in the ultimate physical condition, in addition to what I assume will be an effective treatment of some sort by then,  but throwing thousands of people into any building indoors or out, still seems pretty crazy.

In any case, I'm so f'ing ready for this to be over with, there's got to be a better way, but maybe not.

• Like 1