Trade Market for Dalton Heating Up

COB

Patriots now: “We have no interest in signing Dalton.”

Patriots as soon as we cut Dalton: “We’re signing Andy Dalton.”

They just don’t want to give us anything in trade, and they probably figure they can get him to agree to less than 17 million.

11 minutes ago, AMPHAR said:

They aren’t going to carry 4 QBs and they line their young ones.

I have no idea what happens to Dalton.  There is no market right now and you have 2 higher potential guys on the market right now with Winston and Cam. 

At a guess, I’d bet they hold on to him through the draft in hopes they can leverage him for something during the process. If not he gets released the day after.

On 3/22/2020 at 10:12 AM, AMPHAR said:

They aren’t going to carry 4 QBs and they line their young ones.

Well, I suppose anything is possible including Bill Bellichick happily marching into the 2020 season with his QBs being Cody Kessler, Jarrett Stidham, and Brian Hoyer. I doubt it.  If he does that, I think he’s in full tank mode competing with Jacksonville for the first pick in 2021 looking to get Trevor Lawrence.  It’s hard to imagine him, at his age and this stage of his career, doing either of these things.  I just don’t think he’ll tank, and I don’t think he’s willing to navigate a season with a depth guy running things.  

This is just another reason why it was good to get rid of Marvin.   Marvin probably would have gotten us a couple more wins this past year.

No doubt in my mind we’d be on the fast path of extending Dalton with Marvin.

A QB that has a cold cold market right now. 

Ugh look I like Andy Dalton but it’s just time to move on even if he is a back up. I don’t need them to draft Burrow just so he sits to Dalton playing half a season.

Let him go already and play somewhere else, time to start over with this team! Great job so far in FA, keep it going by letting Andy go, and let Zac build his team with his QB.

The Bengals could use the 17.5 million to handle other needs / extensions. Just release him if there are no other trade options.

Here’s my point:
They gave the keys to Dalton as a rookie with Gradkowski as his backup. I’m pretty comfortable giving Burrow,  the #1 overall pick, the same latitude with Finley as his backup.

46 minutes ago, volcom69 said:

Ugh look I like Andy Dalton but it’s just time to move on even if he is a back up. I don’t need them to draft Burrow just so he sits to Dalton playing half a season.

Let him go already and play somewhere else, time to start over with this team! Great job so far in FA, keep it going by letting Andy go, and let Zac build his team with his QB.

No way Burrow sits in any event, even if somehow dalton is here.

8 hours ago, membengal said:

No way Burrow sits in any event, even if somehow dalton is here.

In a normal year you’d be right, but this isn’t a normal year. The league has already thrown in the towel on minicamps and OTAs, and with travel restrictions in place, Burrow’s prep may consist of Skyping with coaches and skimming a pdf of the playbook. There’s also talk of scaled-down camps and eliminating the preseason entirely, so you’d have say 3 weeks in August for TC then straight into week 1. I don’t care how talented Joe is, you throw him in with that little prep and he’ll get destroyed.

Hopefully we get on top of this virus faster than expected and they can get back to something resembling a normal schedule.

IF you are going to keep Dalton there are some benefits: 

1. Depth of course

2. Keeps the rookie on his toes.   There’s nothing wrong with a little QB competition.

3. Roll the dice on QB injury around the league and get more than what you can right now.

Andy wouldn’t seem like the type to be a cancer.  That’s a big factor in seeing positives of keeping him. 

• Like 1

4 hours ago, HoosierCat said:

In a normal year you’d be right, but this isn’t a normal year. The league has already thrown in the towel on minicamps and OTAs, and with travel restrictions in place, Burrow’s prep may consist of Skyping with coaches and skimming a pdf of the playbook. There’s also talk of scaled-down camps and eliminating the preseason entirely, so you’d have say 3 weeks in August for TC then straight into week 1. I don’t care how talented Joe is, you throw him in with that little prep and he’ll get destroyed.

Hopefully we get on top of this virus faster than expected and they can get back to something resembling a normal schedule.

Correct.  The counter point is Dalton did the same during a lock out back in 2011.

I say a lot depends on the team surrounding and the individual player. 

Dalton walked into a great situation back in 2011 that looked like a dumpster fire from the outside. 

24 minutes ago, AMPHAR said:

Correct.  The counter point is Dalton did the same during a lock out back in 2011.

I say a lot depends on the team surrounding and the individual player. 

Dalton walked into a great situation back in 2011 that looked like a dumpster fire from the outside. 

True, but at least in 2011 Dalton got a full camp and preseason. And the team’s success that year had more to do with its 7th-ranked defense than the 20th-ranked offense. My biggest concern with Burrow is less that he’d be overwhelmed, but that with so little prep it would greatly increase the possibility of miscommunications that result in injury.

13 minutes ago, ArmyBengal said:

Give the keys to Burrow, trade Dalton for a Snickers or release him, use his 17.5 million on other players.

Next...

If the thought that 17.5 million too much for other teams, that same thought process applies to the Bengals.

I still think the most likely scenario is that they keep him through the draft in hopes of using him in some draft day trade, and if that doesn’t happen he’s released the day after the draft.

• 1 month later...

So...the draft has come and gone and Andy is still on the roster. A few numbers:

May 9: the date Murray in AZ signed last year.

$6.4 million: his cap hit year one.

$7.5 million: current estimate of the Bengals’ remaining cap space.

$17 million: approximate current cap hit of Dalton.

They’re going to have to make a decision soon.