Trade Market for Dalton Heating Up

COB

17 hours ago, ArmyBengal said:

Dalton to the Pats would warm my heart. 
I would root for him to do well there !!

I'm still not sure anyone wants to pencil him in as their starter and pay his salary yet.  Seems more likely he'll get released and teams can then negotiate with him to come in and compete with someone at a reasonable cost.  No one's paying $17 mil for him at this point.  Could be wrong, but I don't see a trade happening.

They can hang on to him. They have the cap space. At the very least, keep him until after the draft. What happens if you trade Andy, then draft day comes and someone like NE offers you their next 12 drafts for the 1, you take it, there a run on QBs and no one is left at 33? Highly unlikely but you never know.

Damn, Foles for a 4th rounder, that’s cheap.  I hope we do better with Andy.

With all these spots getting filled, it might get tough to deal him without a competitive market.  New England is not going to bid against itself.  

Unless we follow the Hoosier method, keep him, then we become the competition.  NE has to pry him away from us.  

I still say we extract the max value from him by keeping him around to groom the newb and trade him at a premium before the in-season trade deadline to a playoff contending team who needs a QB to help cement their playoff run.

As a related aside, I think he deserves to go to a playoff contending team. hes a good guy, no hard feelings towards him whatsoever. Same with AJ.

as bad as our OL is - and it just got a little bit worse today with the release of our second best OLineman - the injury risk and ergo need for a competent backup on this team is greater than it is on most NFL teams

On ‎3‎/‎17‎/‎2020 at 2:33 PM, ArmyBengal said:

No need to trade Dalton for Leonard Floyd.  The reports were right in that they will be releasing him.
So much for adding a LB that would instantly be the focal point of the linebacking corps.
Waiting to hear he signed somewhere NOT in Cincinnati.

Yep, signed with the Rams...

Dalton to Miami ??? They have picks to offer and need a QB and I can't see the Bengals trading away the No 1 pick and letting Burrow get away (unless of course they think Tua or Herbert would be a better fit)

On 3/18/2020 at 1:32 PM, TJJackson said:

I still say we extract the max value from him by keeping him around to groom the newb and trade him at a premium before the in-season trade deadline to a playoff contending team who needs a QB to help cement their playoff run.

As a related aside, I think he deserves to go to a playoff contending team. hes a good guy, no hard feelings towards him whatsoever. Same with AJ.

as bad as our OL is - and it just got a little bit worse today with the release of our second best OLineman - the injury risk and ergo need for a competent backup on this team is greater than it is on most NFL teams

I think this is right if they intend to take Burrow. I’ve said many times Dalton was Kitna 2.0. Now he’ll help prepare the next qb. 

• Like 1

On 3/19/2020 at 11:51 AM, ArmyBengal said:

I would agree with the cooling down.  Still hard to say how it will shake out.
People can say what they want but 17 million for a starting QB is cheap.
The fact they could have him for a year at that price before dedicating anything more has to be attractive.

It's not chump change boss. He'd probably be on another team by now if he were on the market with no contract possibly.  I'm just not sure anyone's interested in annointing him their starting QB (and you would for that salary cap hit) unless some other circumstances or scenario dictates it.

On 3/19/2020 at 7:27 PM, kingwilly said:

I think this is right if they intend to take Burrow. I’ve said many times Dalton was Kitna 2.0. Now he’ll help prepare the next qb. 

Please no.  He's only had one year in this offense,  is terrible under pressure, has been Bengalized to death.  I get that he's a good guy and would provide some stability/help in some ways, but if I'm Taylor, I want my own QB who isn't influenced by the previous one, in this case.

Chump change ?? Of course not, however a quick look at salaries for starting QB’s will show just how cheap 17 million is from that perspective.

A team can get him for a single year as an insurance policy and if they go to him and he produces, maybe that team decides to go longer with him. Did anyone see Tannehill’s situation coming this year ??

I get what you are saying however. I still just think there’s an opportunity for him somewhere which will result in a trade. I just no longer think we will be getting what I was hoping for.

4 hours ago, ArmyBengal said:

Chump change ?? Of course not, however a quick look at salaries for starting QB’s will show just how cheap 17 million is from that perspective.

A team can get him for a single year as an insurance policy and if they go to him and he produces, maybe that team decides to go longer with him. Did anyone see Tannehill’s situation coming this year ??

I get what you are saying however. I still just think there’s an opportunity for him somewhere which will result in a trade. I just no longer think we will be getting what I was hoping for.

Fair enough, we'll see, I just don't see the right scenario emerging for him via a trade, unless the Bengals' eat some of his salary.

At this point, I’d say it’s clear there is no market for Dalton. In a normal year, I’d say that could change, because guys get hurt or look bad in OTAs and minicamps and TC, but this year it’s looking like a very non-contact offseason. Assuming the season goes forward in September, I suppose there’s a chance for a Palmer-to-the-Raiders type scenario (especially if the offseason involves less prep, which may lead to more early injuries) but that means keeping Andy on the books. Again, they could, but they spent a shit ton in FA (and isn’t that weird to say) so I have a hard time seeing it now.