Bengals' [other] Needs

Stripes

Bengals needs  

8 members have voted

1. 1. What are the Bengals' biggest needs other than quarterback, linebacker, and offensive tackle?

• Running back
    • Wide receiver
    • Tight end
    • Interior offensive line
    • Interior defensive line
    • Defensive end
    • Safety
    • Corner
    • Special teams/other

We've spent the last two seasons talking about how bad the offensive line and linebacker corps are. I don't think there's likely to be much disagreement with those position groups being a priority. So, if we ignore those (as well as QB with the first pick lined up), which remaining need is most pressing?

Well with free agency for Dennard this year and WJ3 next year, along with Kirkpatrick being meh, I think CB gets addressed and safety should be in the conversation considering Williams is up next year and could be upgraded.

WR’s are always a must and over the next two seasons there will be some decisions to make there. Even if they extend Mixon, RB could use a youth influx.

Honestly, I think TE is right up there when looking at the roster. I like this draft class of TE’s as well. Maybe nothing over the top stellar but some guys to be had even later in that are intriguing.

I voted CB though...

• 1 month later...

Not only do I think the lions and bengals staffs have a leg up during the draft and evaluation process due to having been the senior bowl coaching staffs under the Covid social distancing regime, but I also think the bengals and lions will be uniquely positioned to do VERY well in the UDFA scrum as they will immediately be familiar with some of the undrafted players they saw at the senior bowl and those players and their agents may want to be with coaches that have already spent time with them...

• Like 1

In seeing what they have done in free agency, I would change my vote at this point to the interior of the o-line.
I went with CB when first posted and while they still might add another one in the draft, it's no longer the priority I once viewed it.

With CB moving down the pecking order, I think WR also moves up.

This goes back to my comment yesterday I made.

Are they truly happy with the o-line or is that smoke ??
What defensive scheme will the run more...  the one with 2 or 3 linebackers ??

If they are really happy with the o-line room and they run more 2 LB sets, we won't see anything else.
I think the same can be said for how they approach the draft.

56 minutes ago, COB said:

Wish I had a crystal ball to see who was going to get hurt first, that’d dictate what position we take in round 2.  I’d say BPA as long as it’s not a QB, RB, or DE.

Or TE.

1 hour ago, cincy9275 said:

I agree. I think HC is the biggest need. Zac showed he has no business being a HC. I’m really worried he’s going to ruin Burrow. I have no faith in Zac what so ever. 

I am completely the opposite on this.

There’s simply not enough to go on at this point regarding Zac. He inherited Dalton and new coaches want their guy. Burrow will be in good hands and I don’t think Zac will “ruin” him.

If you want to worry about Zac, it should be in his ability to surround himself with good coaches elsewhere in the team he’s maybe not as familiar. Yes defense, I’m looking at you.

Now if in two years the team is still picking in the top 3-5, there’s a larger problem.

• Like 1

I have no idea about Zac.

All I can say is there wasn’t much faith in the team prior to the start of the season because of talent.  Then they suffered injuries.   

The team never quit by my observation and the horrible O-line actually improved drastically in the second half. 

So I don’t know, see what happens. 

They played fucking hard all the way to week 17 in a dead season. That says a lot for the buy- in. Add in the successful FA recruiting and the quotes for players who remain and I am good to see where this goes.

• Thanks 1

I just think it's too early to tell about Zac.  He inherited what was left of what Melvin created and didn't have the time he has had this year.
Everything from his coaching staff, to preparing for the draft, and the organizations approach to free agency this season.

I will give him Burrow and another couple of seasons to push this team forward before I start pointing fingers in his direction.
How many years was Melvin given ??  I'm not Zac's cheerleader, but i'd simply like to give him some time to build and manage his team.

If we are still picking in the top 3 in a few years, my thought process will more than likely shift.

1 hour ago, membengal said:

They played fucking hard all the way to week 17 in a dead season. That says a lot for the buy- in. Add in the successful FA recruiting and the quotes for players who remain and I am good to see where this goes.

Very different attitude from the players when compared to that displayed under the Marvin regime.

Under Zac I see genuine enthusiasm and effort.

Under Marvin it was hard to tell.  I kind of saw it as a general bemusement, resignation, and a yearly undercurrent of “oh, they brought Pac-Man back again, wtf.”