Jump to content
Sign in to follow this  
HoosierCat

General Free Agency Thread

Recommended Posts

11 hours ago, ShulaSteakhouse said:

So the Bengals "appear" to have plenty of cap room to sign Bates in a front-loaded deal, the S market seems to be set now as well.  I guess he's tag-worthy, but that's no way to reward a player in his prime years, needing a long term deal.  They currently have nothing back there other than Bell at the other S position, and Hilton.  Any ways I'm no cap expert and just want to see them keep Bates around, and pay a top S for once.

Ricardo Allen is a solid backup Safety as is Wilson....our safety group is probably the strongest position group on the team.

 

That said...yes please sign Jessie Bates to an extension this week!

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Wraith said:

Ricardo Allen is a solid backup Safety as is Wilson....our safety group is probably the strongest position group on the team.

That said...yes please sign Jessie Bates to an extension this week!

While I second that sentiment, it doesn’t look to be happening, sadly. The question now is becoming, what to do after this season. Obviously Bates’s level of play and health status will factor heavily into that decision, but assuming he plays well and isn’t hurt, the tag seems the most likely eventuality. But I also wouldn’t rule out them letting him “test the market,” aka walk. 2022 is shaping up to be a good draft class for safeties and the FO has to be sweating a second contract for JB. To be clear I would much rather keep Bates but I can see the case for going another direction.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Missed posting a bunch of interview quotes earlier due to work stuff...but on this one...yes, ZT, you must do this:

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Important because it represents theSteelers breaking with their policy of not guaranteeing money after year 1, a policy also followed by our FO and which is thought to be the sticking point in the Bates extension talks. So pressure just ratcheted up on the organization to continue to modernize how it does business.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

In other former Bengals news. Washington has placed former Bengals QB Ryan Fitzpatrick on IR (hip) and signed former Bengals QB Kyle Shurmur.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I hope he does well. Whatever his lumps he was a good teammate and had the right attitude.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I always thought he was ok at center. Never could get the hang of guard tho.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Nick Vigil is playing like a pro for Minnesota so far - makes you really wonder about the Bengals' development and/or use of players.   

Even without today's pick-six INT vs AZ or stats (pro football ref hasn't updated his profile yet), he had a whale of a game last week vs the Bengals: (10 tackles, 1 sack, 2 TFL,  1 QB hit).  

https://www.pro-football-reference.com/players/V/VigiNi00.htm#:~:text=Nick Vigil. Nick Alfonso Vigil (Luke) Position%3A ILB,20 (5294th overall since 1960) High School%3A Fremont

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, ShulaSteakhouse said:

Nick Vigil is playing like a pro for Minnesota so far - makes you really wonder about the Bengals' development and/or use of players.   

Even without today's pick-six INT vs AZ or stats (pro football ref hasn't updated his profile yet), he had a whale of a game last week vs the Bengals: (10 tackles, 1 sack, 2 TFL,  1 QB hit).  

https://www.pro-football-reference.com/players/V/VigiNi00.htm#:~:text=Nick Vigil. Nick Alfonso Vigil (Luke) Position%3A ILB,20 (5294th overall since 1960) High School%3A Fremont

He’s on his 3rd team and was a mid round pick. 
 

Bengals defense is improving.  Not sure of the point here. 
 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
18 hours ago, AMPHAR said:

He’s on his 3rd team and was a mid round pick. 
 

Bengals defense is improving.  Not sure of the point here. 
 

 

That the Bengals' haven't had a LB with that kind of production here since O'Dell Thurman? 1-2 seasons of Burfict? That Vigil was garbage here as a LB and flourishes on another team suddenly? That the Bengals' can't develop o-lineman or LB's, and haven't for years now? 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, ShulaSteakhouse said:

That the Bengals' haven't had a LB with that kind of production here since O'Dell Thurman? 1-2 seasons of Burfict? That Vigil was garbage here as a LB and flourishes on another team suddenly? That the Bengals' can't develop o-lineman or LB's, and haven't for years now? 

NFL people believe in Vigil so much he’s on his 3rd team and is working on a 1 year deal again. 
 

Not sure what the point is other than the coaching that didn’t draft him was supposed to coach him into a pro bowler his 1 year with the current staff? 
 

I also think he was offered a deal with the Bengals and passed. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Hard to believe Jacksonville giving up an a first rounder 3 games into their second season.
I know Henderson has been injured, but what else?  Just not a fit under Meyer?

Just stinks that Apple has been here exactly what he's been everywhere else.
Dude just never translated his game from college.  Shame.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

For the record, Apple has not been as bad as everyone seems to make out and has been a metric fuckton better than what we had a 2nd CB last year opposite WJIII.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I didn't watch much of last year at all, so I will give the benefit of the doubt to you on that Mem.
He just hasn't looked all that great to this point.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, HoosierCat said:

Seems relevant given how we’re stuck with Eli “Rotten” Apple.

 

Its clear teams are picking on Eli Apple but I've seen worse CBs that are a weak point.     

I can't remember his name but the dude from last year was a complete disaster IF you wanted to play good D. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, membengal said:

For the record, Apple has not been as bad as everyone seems to make out and has been a metric fuckton better than what we had a 2nd CB last year opposite WJIII.

This is exactly right.   Eli Apple is a bottom tier CB but worlds better than some other CBs that have to fill CB2 or 3 role. 

Its clear Eli is the weak point and teams are targeting.  They will get stuff against him but it has been and could be far worse.  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

Sign in to follow this  

×