General Free Agency Thread

HoosierCat

44 minutes ago, ShulaSteakhouse said:

Yeah likely either Hopkins insurance, quality depth, or they plan on losing a C or two.  It's possible he's better than anyone at C on the roster currently.  I am not sure why he was released though.

Some prominent Cardinals fans among the draft universe are not happy about it 

Fwiw pff did a piece ranking the top 32 centers about a week ago.

https://www.pff.com/news/nfl-center-rankings-2021-nfl-season

Hopkins is at 17. They only ranked centers who were on a roster but did add this note at the end of the article:

Free agent of note: Austin Reiter (Would be 14th)

Reiter, who is still available in free agency, probably would have found his way onto the top half of this list if he was on a roster. He isn’t going to be a difference-maker in the run game, but he has been one of the more reliable pass protectors at center over his past two seasons as the Chiefs' starter. He ranks in the 91st percentile of all players at the position in pass-blocking grade since 2019. 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, HoosierCat said:

Fwiw pff did a piece ranking the top 32 centers about a week ago.

https://www.pff.com/news/nfl-center-rankings-2021-nfl-season

Hopkins is at 17. They only ranked centers who were on a roster but did add this note at the end of the article:

So another Hopkins, maybe a tick better.  Seems like there's real emphasis on interior pass blocking - for obvious reasons.  I don't know that they have an OG who excels at it, yet any ways.  So, can't fault the logic.

At this point, I'd welcome Reiter if they sign him and he's not lost a step or hiding an injury.  Seems like a slight upgrade to Hopkins.  If nothing else having some  quality depth on the interior o-line of some sort would be nice for once.   I know Marvin constantly tried to do that here and had a hard time with it, for whatever reason(s).  I'm guessing money.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Brutal.

But also, when analysts were hammering Cincinnati for not going max to keep him from FA and then hammered them for Hendrickson...they sure did gloss over Lawson having the ACL tears in 2014 in college and in 2018 w/ the Bengals. I mean, it was a bit of a medical red flag to chew over...

• Like 1

1 hour ago, membengal said:

Brutal.

But also, when analysts were hammering Cincinnati for not going max to keep him from FA and then hammered them for Hendrickson...they sure did gloss over Lawson having the ACL tears in 2014 in college and in 2018 w/ the Bengals. I mean, it was a bit of a medical red flag to chew over...

As noted in this message board, Lawson had all the hallmarks of significant PED use, maybe a bit beyond significant.  It was also noted in here the high probability of injury that seems to follow these guys.  

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1