General Free Agency Thread

HoosierCat

1 hour ago, COB said:

Jeff Driskel and Ryan Finley are both on the Texans.

I wonder if we’ll hear J Joe style comparisons, extolling the virtues of the Texans org and backhanding our little backwater outfit here.  

Spoiler alert - we won’t.  The Texans are a shit show, and it seems as if we finally have our shit together, like guys actually want to play here.  

I heard Finley got like 2 million bucks to go down there, so their preacher/life coach/huckster GM must have liked something about him.  Good haul for Finley, happy for him.  

Not sure on that last part? We traded him prior to the draft - he should be on whatever contract he was on as a rookie.  Remember, they gave us actual value for him? Swapped one of their sixths for one of our sevenths - moving us up 30 spots in the draft. Pick turned into Chris Evans. The Texans are swell.

sign him F A S T for 2 years

we're still 22 mil or something under the cap as of right now, so we can still roll 10 or more

Moses goes to his natural spot at ORT

Reiff said he'd play anywhere, so he plays at ORG until Jonah Williams runs into health issues, as has occurred each year

When Jonah's health nosedives

1) Reiff then moves to his natural spot which is OLT

2) Carman takes over at ORG with (hopefully) a few extra weeks of grooming under his belt

Carman can also come into the game to rest the aged Reiff in blowout situations when/if he is thought to be ready

this plan

--improves the OL

--puts both free agents OTs at their natural spots

--acknowledges/addresses the fact that we have ongoing health issues with Jonah

1 hour ago, TJJackson said:

we're still 22 mil or something under the cap as of right now, so we can still roll 10 or more

Ehhh, not so much. For starters, there’s this dude named Chase they still need to sign. That alone will chew up something like $8 million of that 22.

Then there’s this other dude named Bates. He’s a FA after this season. Extending him will probably take something like 5 years and $50-60 million. If they don’t get a deal done you can already subtract $13 million from their space next year because that’s what the projected tag for safety is.

Also Hubbard. Also a FA in 2022.

Assuming Moses can be signed at Reiff money, you just might be able to squeeze Chase and Bates in, but it would be very tight. Moses will have suitors, so I doubt he comes at that price.

The 6 reasons for signing Moses

1.  He is a high quality veteran OL, which this shoddy 2020 OL desperately needs

2.  He would not count against the compensatory picks formula

3.  He can (unlike Reiff) be signed beyond 2021.  Said another way, we could solidify the ORT spot for 2-4 years

4.  He provides insurance against Jonah's near inevitable injury......in such a case, Reiff would move to his natural spot of OLT and someone else (probably Carman) would come in for the open spot

5.  He should not be expensive, given that most teams have all their 2021 cash spent , while we can still afford 5M or so a year for this guy

6.  Reiff has said he will play any spot on the OL he is asked to play, so Moses can take ORT and Reiff probably ORG, which will allow Carman time to get groomed for that spot

• Like 1

Guy Fieri is out there, on the market, available no strings attached.  The Bengals didn’t even try.  Fuck Mike Brown.  Now, instead, they’ll sign some one-time Iron Chef contestant with a YouTube channel.  Well, we fans won’t fall for this shit anymore.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

So just for kicks ‘n’ giggles I was looking at the team salary cap page over on sportrac and it’s…very un-Bengal-like this year. I’m sure everyone knows they’ve been a bit more aggressive this off-season but it really shows up here.

Biggest cap hit on the team? Trae Waynes at nearly $16 million. Now, I haven’t looked but I’d be willing to bet that the top cap hit being a FA has happened before…but how about the top 3?

Next two guys are Reader at $13.5 million and Hendrickson at $12.5 million. Between those three that’s more than 21% of the total cap

And we’re not done. At No. 9 you have Ogunjobi, then Bell, Hilton, Reiff and Awuzie at 11, 12, 14 and 15 respectively. And of course Reiff would be more like 7 if his deal was straight up and not fudged with a void year

So in total, 8 of the top 15 cap hits this year, including the top 3, are all FAs. They amount to around 35% of the cap. I don’t know if it will work but it’s tough to say they aren’t trying.

• Like 2