General Free Agency Thread

HoosierCat

On 3/26/2021 at 6:41 AM, membengal said:

Jesus people. Gio is 29. They are not extending him. They should not extend him. What’s wrong with you all? Am I being punked? Is this some sort of prank?

he’s not going to be a feature back at any point on the go forward, what the what with you all. 

Mixon nor Perine are even half the pass protector that Gio is... confuse defense by keeping in the back who can do both, your RPOs and audibles are instantly a factor 

https://www.si.com/nfl/bengals/news/former-bengals-safety-shawn-williams-signing-with-arizona-cardinals

I kinda sorta wish that the Bengals could have worked out a position shift here.

I honestly believe that he'd be a fairly good linebacker

But I never thought much of him as a safety

Great human being, tho, and I can appreciate that while noting his shortcomings as a player

I do wish him success in Arizona

aside: isnt this another loss for Simmons?

• Like 1

right now, as I type this, the projection is a 4th round compensatory pick for Lawson that could turn into a 3rd if he plays a higher percentage of snaps for the Jets than he did for the Bengals - as best I recall from what I read 63% will do the trick

As I understand it, signing another UFA like Kerrigan right now would kibosh the comp pick entirely

as some point, I dont know when, signing a free agent no longer counts against the signing team, and it'd be my guess that the Bengals will wait til this date to sign any other free agents of note

That said, street Free agents like Trai Turner and Larry Warford do not count against the signing team regardless, so hopefully the Bengals will spend some time trying to get guys like these to come in for visits

10 hours ago, ShulaSteakhouse said:

Didn't know the Bengals' "should" get a l3rd round pick for Lawson at least.  Although this mentions another significant FA signing would mean that may be moot, but I don't know.

https://www.yahoo.com/sports/bengals-could-net-notable-compensatory-223043118.html

I was surprised by that because I though their signings would net them off. 

Draft need list

First 2 picks - OT prioritizing pass blocking over run blocking who can play ORG and an outside WR1 with speed

Next three Picks - a passrushing DE, a passrushing DT, and an OG/OC prioritizing pass blocking over run blocking

Final three picks - 3 of the following 4: another outside speed receiver, a coverage/ST LB, a developmental QB, or a Punter

UDCFA: every position, with extra priority on whatever we didnt take of the 4 named in the previous step

Just heard a Bengals scouting guy on the LockedOnBengals podcast say they are well set to just go BPA every selection. 

Uhm, yeah, sure buddy.  Nice company line there.

There are far too many holes to go BPA

This is necessarily a needs-focused draft

1 hour ago, TJJackson said:

I should mention here - Bodine is a free agent right now

available for any team needing offensive line help

:-)

Guys go from multi-year starters on our line to almost immediately wandering in the wilderness.  It’s one of life’s great mysteries.

• Like 1